Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 74 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 97 reviews
on September 8, 2015
There's Cake in My Future was "just okay." I was optimistic for a fun, flirty, and quick read for the summer but I was strangely disappointed when I received just that. This book fell flat in my opinion, and just didn't seem to flow as well as it could have. I loved the concept of the magical cake pull, determining the fates of several friends but I felt myself getting angry with the characters or not connecting with them at all. I felt like each character was a bit spoiled, and that the book, though a quick read, was almost unenjoyable at times. It had a nice ending, and as I mentioned before a good storyline but it just didn't stand out or work in a lot of ways. I've never read a book by Kim Gruenenfelder, and this came up as a "Recommended For You" but I semi wish it hadn't. I typically pass on books to friends, and family even if they are just okay but I haven't with this. I felt like it was just overall disappointing, and really "just okay."
on April 14, 2014
I actually downloaded an excerpt of this book on my Kindle a long time ago. After reading the excerpt, I decided not to buy it because I didn't think I was in the right mood to appreciate it. But I kept it on my to read list and in the back of my mind.

Here were my life circumstances at the end of March:
(1) I had just spent the month of March working nights and weekends on the proposal for my project team's follow-on contract. We had just turned the proposal in, so I finally had a little more free time to read and I was definitely in the mood for something light-hearted with simple sentence structures.

(2) I was gearing up to be a bridesmaid in two weddings, one on April 4 and one on April 26.

I'm pretty sure that I picked the absolutely perfect moment in my life to read this novel. I'm glad I did so. This book is one that had me nodding my head, because I could recognize either myself or one of my friends in almost all the situations in this book. Almost anyone can relate to the dismay of being friends with someone who flirts with you incessantly but won't make the moves on you, or an ex who treated you like s*** but is now enraged that you would be moving on with your life. We've all got the artist friend who doesn't wake up before noon, the friend who will ruin her bridesmaid dress trying to bust down the door with a fire extinguisher, and the jerk who's taking advantage of your best friend.

Justin and I read a few sections of this book aloud to each other, and Justin actually enjoyed this a lot, which really surprised me because this is not AT ALL the sort of book he reads (right now he's reading a book called On Combat -- that's the sort of stuff he typically reads). When I finished the book (by reading silently to myself), he wanted to know what happened to all of the characters. We also had several conversations where we likened the characters to our friends in real life. He would say "You know who she reminds me of?" and I could usually guess who he was thinking of on my first guess.

If there's one thing I want to emphasize, it's that you should really make sure you're in the proper mood to enjoy this book when you read it. It's not heart-wrenching, it doesn't speak to the human condition or profoundly change your view of the world. It's light-hearted. But if you're looking for a light-hearted book, this is one of the best that I've come across.
on February 6, 2014
This book was extremely disappointing and poorly written. Each character, male and female alike, were written in the same voice. None of the characters were believable, or likeable, and spent the entire book complaining. I enjoy light, chick-friendly books and some fluffy romance books very much, but this was rather ...vapid. Nicole's storyline had the most realistic aspects to it, and the most potential. The others were ridiculous at some points. The original concept (cake pulls, potential for hilarity and disaster to ensue) was an interesting idea but failed miserably in this book.
on January 28, 2014
This is my first book by Kim Gruenenfelder. In fact when I woke up this morning I'd never heard of her. I stumbled on this book, thought the title was intriguing and downloaded the sample. What a perfect book to read on a day off and it's 11 below zero outside. When you start a book and you're laughing out loud while reading the sample the book becomes a must buy.

I loved Nic, Seema and Mel. Their friendship rang true to me and I loved how they had become their own little family. They were very supportive of each other but didn't hesitate to tell the truth when it was called for.

Kim Gruenenfelder writes so well that I could almost picture it when Mel was in Home Depot in new jeans and a red top trying to meet someone new. This after Googling "How to meet a man" and getting a million hits! Or Seema in her aquamarine bridesmaid dress trying to break down the door of the bathroom that Nic (the bride) has locked herself in. With a fire extinguisher that goes off and ends up all over her dress. Or Nic who can't find room in her king size bed because her five year old stepdaughter has managed to take over the whole bed by sleeping in such a way as to resemble an asterisk.

There are really no surprises in this book but that's okay. To me it was all about the women, their first person accounts and the terrific writing. While the book seems to end rather abruptly, there is a sequel called "Keep Calm and Carry a Big Drink" which is most definitely in my future.

A very enjoyable book and a nice addition to the chick-lit genre.

MUST READ!
on June 16, 2013
There's Cake in My Future is a story about friendship and life and changes, all things that can draw an audience but what I really liked about this book is the way the story was told.

Here's the back blurb:

Listening to her friends' latests travails in love, parenting and careers, superstitious bride-to-be Nic believes she has the perfect recipe for everyone's happiness: a bridal shower "cake pull" in which each ribboned silver charm planted in the cake will bring its recipient the magical assistance she needs to change her destiny. Mel, still ringless after dating the same man for six years, should get the engagement ring charm. The red hot chili pepper would be perfect for Seema, who is in love with her best male friend, Scott, but can't seem to make their relationship more than platonic. And recently laid-off journalist Nic wants the shovel, which symbolizes hard work, to help her get her career back on track. Nic does everything she can to control who gets which silver keepsake - as well as the future it represents. But when the charmed cake is mysteriously shifted from the place settings Nic arranged around it, no one gets the charm she chose for them. And when the other party guests' fortunes begin coming true, Mel, Seema and Nic can't help but wonder . . . is the cake trying to tell them something?

As I said, the base of the story is friendship but situations around the charms brings a lot of comedy to the story. Nic is the most upset with the charm she got. Seema tries to convince her that there's nothing to the charms and she has nothing to worry about, all the while she's freaking out over the charm she got because goodness knows it's the LAST charm she'd choose for herself. Meanwhile, while Mel doesn't give a lot of credit to the cake pull charms, she's doing everything in her power to make hers come true (which is hysterical!).

The story is told in first person perspective from the viewpoint of each of the main characters (Nic, Mel and Seema) in alternating chapters, so you're able to really get to know the characters. It's basically a story about love, friendship and the life that happens while you're busy making other plans (who can't relate to that?).

I highly recommend this book and was excited to see that it has a follow up book coming out. I've already pre-ordered it. :)
on July 6, 2013
Three friends get together at a bridal shower, where the bride, Nicole (Nic) has set up a cake pull with charms that will fit the desires of each participant. For her friend Mel, she plans the ring as she has been waiting for her long-term boyfriend to ask her to marry him, for her friend Seema she plans the chili pepper to give her a hot romance with her friend with whom she is secretly in love, and for herself, she picks the shovel to get her journalism career back on track after being laid off. However, something goes wrong with the positioning of the cake, and everyone gets a different charm than they expected, with Nic getting the baby carriage, Seema getting the shovel, and Mel getting the chili pepper. When some of the other party-goers charms start coming true, the friends become very concerned that their lives are about to be turned upside down. The book follows their lives as their relationships change dramatically, from broken romances, combined families, and self-revelation. Each chapter is told from one of the friend's point of view. This is a light, fluffy, chick-lit style book. The idea was interesting, but the characters can be a bit self absorbed and annoying at times. This is a light, fluffy, chick-lit style book.
on April 12, 2012
As the story begins, the bride is locked in a bathroom stall, the bridesmaids are trying to break the door down and the guests are getting restless. Three friends and their search for love and the meaning of life are the central plot of this fun read from Kim Gruenenfelder.

Nic, laid off from her job as a newspaper reporter, is getting married to hunky pro basketball coach, Jason. She very carefully rigs her bridal shower charm cake so that she and her friends will pull the charm to best secure the future each wants. Seema has a huge crush on her best friend, Scott, but is afraid to act upon it for fear that it will ruin their friendship. Getting the chili pepper charm for a hot romance will be her ticket. Mel wants her boyfriend of seven (yes, seven!) years to finally commit and put a ring on her finger. The engagement ring charm will make sure that happens. Nic's love life is in good shape so she wants the shovel charm signifying a life of hard work which will get her back into the newspaper world.

Alas, as in most situations things don't always work out the way you want. Nic is devastated to get the baby carriage, Seema pulls the shovel and Mel gets the red hot chili pepper. Things go downhill from there as Nic's honeymoon becomes a "familymoon" with her stepchildren, Mel's boyfriend proves to be the jerk you think he is, and Scott seems to find true love with someone else. It would be hard for the reader not to enjoy the friendship and banter between the three women. This is a fun, quick read that you will enjoy. (Note to Ms. Gruenenfelder: there are too many four letter words that begin with "f." Diversify!)

You may read this and other reviews at readsquare.com.
on June 30, 2011
This book is comical! I was laughing out loud at some parts because of how the characters would totally blow things out of proportions. Which in some cases, is most women!! It gave me a sense of relief to know I wasn't the only person who does this (on occassion). I would totally make my guy read this book as it gives some insight into the female mind and how some women overreact to the smallest of things (not me of course). The cake charms and how Nicole was trying to give everyone what they wanted was an example of how you cannot change the fate of yourself or others, no matter how hard you try.
The relationship between Seema and Scott I think would have developed faster had she just been as honest about her feelings with him, as she had with his initial art exhibit. I hated Fred. I wanted to drop-kick him after I scratched his eyes out! but that's with all men who think they can pull a "fast one" over on us.
I haven't read the other two books by this author, but after reading this one, I definitely will.
on July 11, 2013
I love the writing of Kim. This was as entertaining and heartfelt as her other books..."Total Waste of Makeup", etc. Anyone dealing with wedding blahs will perk them up. This reminds us all that we all have crazy families, amazing friends, and situations in life that you didn't sign up for but somehow end up in them. It's life with a lot of humor. Enjoy
on February 2, 2011
I cannot tell you what a pleasure it is when this genre is done right. In "Cake", we find likeable, believeable characters relating to each other in a realistic manner, a mutually supportive sisterhood of choice. The events are launched by a bridal shower cake pull: charms hidden in cake that symbolize the future of the person who pulls them. The cake is rigged (like pretty much any bouquet toss), but the intended parties do not get the intended charms.

We get first person narrative from the three main characters via vignettes. Ms. Gruenenfelder creates distinctive voices and characters for each (although I started to get a wee bit annoyed with Melissa. She wandered a little too close to Bridget Jones annoying neuroses). I particularly enjoyed the dialogue: this is how women talk to each other.

My one comment is that there should be an appendix in each of Ms. Gruenenfelder's books telling the reader where to get the wines, beers, etc. mentioned therein.

I've been housebound for two days due to the Great Ice Storm and this book not only made the inactivity tolerable, it made me glad that I had the time to read straight through. Buy this book. You will enjoy it. Trust me.