Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 21 reviews
on May 29, 2014
"There is No Going Back" by Siggy Buckley is a well-written short story about going back to one's homeland six decades after World War II and not receiving a warm welcome.

The story begins with sisters making a return visit to their former home in Europe after the fall of the Soviet Union and after the Berlin Wall is taken down. The family land is now owned by Polish homesteaders and the sisters are not welcomed by them. The disappointment comes through in vivid details as the sisters retreat to visit the town's cemetery for more information on their ancestors.

During this home-coming, the author takes the reader on a very detailed journey through the horrors of being a refugee ousted from one's home by the Russian troops at the end of WWII.

"There is No Going Back" is a very sad story that pulls at your heart strings and makes you realize that the end of WWII was not the end of the suffering for many displaced Germans.

Thank you, Siggy Buckley for telling this story.
on May 20, 2014
Only last night, I watched a program on the capturing of Adolph Eichman and the ensuing trial that dealt him a death sentence. Sometimes we watch these kinds of shows or read stories like that of Siggy Buckley, forgetting that actual living people were treated so disastrously. I suppose my nature makes it somewhat hard to understand how other human beings could commit such atrocities on others.

I was sad that the now-owner of the family home would not allow Siggy's mother or her aunt to go inside, despite the cab driver Casimir's pleadings; the owner was afraid they had come back to lay claim to the family home where they resided with their mother some sixty years earlier.

It would have been far easier for a sole adult to make this two-month trek to safety, rather than toting young children and a one-year old baby. My goodness. Foraging for food, avoiding assaults by Russian soldiers or vagabonds encountered along the way, passing dead bodies in their paths - I cannot even begin to imagine this. But, after safety comes the after affects, the toll the journey took on the body and emotions. Today we know all about PTSD. Not so back then.

My favorite line in the book: "Surely, we would return one day when the crazed adults had sorted out their war, like my friends and I always made up again soon after a fight."

I, too, am a member of The National League of American Pen Women, Inc., and am happy to have read this story; it gives me greater understanding of my sister Pen Woman, Siggy Buckley, and of the legacy handed down to her. As a writer, there is a certain sense of obligation one feels to share a story like this. I'm glad she finally made the time to put it to paper.

Truly, this is a story dripping in pain. This very sad tale should make us all thankful that we live in peace and in a country that ensures our human rights. Daily I thank my God for this.

Caroline McKeon,
Author of The Rockstar and The Fan
on November 29, 2014
Being an avid reader of WWII history, I’ll anything I can on the topic. This work fell a little short.
I could empathize with Rosemarie and Ingrid’s plight in not being able to visit their home one more time. But for those of us who have read countless stories, to the victors go the spoils. I understand why the Poles who now lived there didn’t allow them to look around. How much suffering did they endure during the occupation?
I also found a major historical flaw. There is no way the Russians who escorted them to the west could have been carrying Kalashnikov’s as they weren’t introduced until 1949.
I felt much more could have been written and describe concerning their exodus from Rügenwalde to Greifswald. For me, it would have allowed a much deeper connection to the characters. The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer is an excellent example.
I found some odd sentences and questionable punctuation at times. EX: The fact was too hard to comprehend, not only for us children. There are a few more.
Overall, it’s a good quick read.

Three stars.
on June 15, 2014
Drawing on her grandmother’s first-hand recounting of events, Siggy Buckley delivers this heart-wrenching true story of German families forcibly evicted from their homes in Poland following the close of WWII. Raped, robbed, beaten, murdered, and starved by the occupying Russian army, millions of civilians—mostly elderly, women, and children—were forced to travel hundreds of miles west in brutal winter weather, with little more than the clothes on their backs. This short story is told from the point of view of two elderly women who return to their childhood home 60 years following the end of WWII. What they find is disheartening, reflecting generations of bigotry and ethnic hatred. Written in an engaging and excellent style, compounded with a powerful message, this is a book everyone should read. It retells a history that is little known in the US, and reminds us how the true cost of war goes far beyond the battlefields.
on December 1, 2014
I couldn't imagine having to go through what this short story is about. You get moved to another place whether you want to or not. There are plenty of poignant moments in this densely written short story.
This heartfelt short story of Second World War refugees is told with vivid detail and sympathy. Germany's invasion of Russia and the resulting ten million civilian and military deaths aroused tremendous resentment and acrimony. I hope todays' leaders read stories such as this to understand how the aftermath of war continues to affect the lives of ordinary people on both sides of a conflict for many, many years afterwards.
on May 9, 2016
Too short. This story could be written with a lot of emotion pulling the reader in, but it was not.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2014
This story shows the suffering of ordinary German people after WWII. Germany was our enemy. I had not thought of that.
on July 19, 2014
A look into a past many know nothing of and allows us to put a human face to war. Well/written and moving.