Industrial Deals HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on May 18, 2014
I have both the large and small versions of this item due to a shipping mixup, both in blue because in my mind blue is more restful than sleeping on red, or at least that's what I'm telling myself who knows if that's true.

The 'small' one that i originally got was tagged large - that is, both the sewn-on tag that it had said large and the marketing tag attached to it said large and it was in a bag that said 'large.' when you recieve yours, check the size against the published sizes to make sure you haven't gotten the wrong one due to a 'factory mix up" as surely mine was probably not the only defective one.

I have used the small one on a 4 day hike. I have not yet had a chance to use the large one.

Here's the thing: this is down. As such, it's more comfortable than any inflatable pillow. However, think about what sleeping on your down jacket woud be like - basically, your head compresses the thing in the same way that packing and rolling it compresses it. I can't blame it too much, i guess - heads are heavy things. But, that's the reality of the situation here.

Therefore, you'll probably find yourself using this pilow on top of something else - like your backpack or a bag full of your clothes. Which is ultimately an ok solution and certainly more comfortable than just sleeping with your head on your backpack. However, and maybe there's some great answer for this that i just haven't figured out yet, but it seems obvious that the answer should be a pillow which is a hybrid inflatable and down to get the best of both worlds.

Finally, there's somthing to be said about the design of this thing. It's basic shape makes it not terrible compressable. As such, it uses a bit more pack space than it might have otherwise and it does NOT come with a stuff sack. Since it is relatively lightweight, an ideal situation would be a small, preferably integrated gore-tex stuff-sack that could be clipped onto a backpack's exterior.

I consider this to be at best an ok product, somewhat lazily designed. This is not the well designed product I expected from thermarest, but rather an intermediate step towards a truly well designed and implemented camping pillow.

i am as i write this about to pack for an 8-day hike and am debating whether to take this.

good for:
- people who are not terribly pack weight/size sensitive, such as those going for a 1 or 2 night hike a few hours from a car/start point.

not so good for:
- ultralightweight hikers (too bulky and a bit heavy compared to inflatable or ziploc bag hack equivalents)
- people camping next to their cars (just bring a full-size pillow from home).
11 comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon May 19, 2014
This pillow is a joke. I got the large size. I love to camp. I have a couple other pillows, one foam and one older thermarest compressible down pillow. The older one is head and shoulders over this overpriced thingy. This one has some great ideas. Stuff-able, compressible, has its own stuff sack... What it doesn't have is a great price, or the ability to actually be used by anyone who needs a pillow while camping.

If you're the type who doesn't need a pillow this probably perfect for you. If you do need a pillow however this will not really work for you. Its just so darn flat. I'm a side sleeper. I used it on a large 3.5" REI air pad. To get it to work I had to do the following: Stuff my patagonia down sweater in it. Put a camp towel under it to keep it from coming out, use it about half its supposed size, then finally tie my all purpose shemagh around it to keep it all together and to distract from the cheap rubbery/vinyl feel of the outer coating.

I can see how this pillow would be ok if you're using it in a siting position where you don't need so much weight on it, and it would probably be all right if you were sleeping on a pile of wool, or maybe a goose farm.., But as a $50 camping accessory it was terrible. Im probably gonna throw it in with my hammock and try it with that.
on April 5, 2012
I purchased this pillow after countless nights of camping out and being seriously uncomfortable. The last night I went out backpacking, I slept maybe 3 hours total. I'd wake up, twist, turn, shove shirts/jackets under my head....I decided it was time to pack a pillow so I needed something ultra light and compact and this pillow fits the bill perfectly! I used it for the first time last night in my conversion van and it's the perfect size. Very impressed. If you are into camping/ultralight backpacking/traveling/etc and need a good pillow, you can't go wrong here.

UPDATE: I still like this pillow but have adopted another for my personal needs. Some people can sleep on anything and be comfortable. I'm not like that. I like to have my head up...no laying flat. I ordered another one of these just so that I can have that extra padding. Perfect solution for me. Weighs almost nothing and takes up very little space. Since these are so compactable they will go flat when you place your head on them. You can stick your backpack under it to assist with the comfort if you wish. I've done that plenty of times.

So again, still a great pillow but remember they do compress even with your noggin'.
on July 24, 2015
At some point during backpacking and camping, I got soft. Sleeping with my clothes and jacket as a pillow no longer worked. I tried one of the inflatable pillows, which was better, but I still felt the core. So, I splurged on this and it's perfect. It squishes into it's own little blob because the drawstring is sewn around the edge.

NOTE: this is a small 100% down pillow and compresses accordingly. That's the good and bad. If you're a side sleeper, you'll probably want to put this on top of your jacket or some clothes, or on top of a semi-inflated air pillow. If you're a stomach sleeper, I've found it's fine as is. I made a small pillowcase that can hold my puff jacket with this, and to buffer the feel of the polyester. I've also brought it for non-camping travel - it turns bad pillows into better pillows. I'm considering buying the large for non-camping/packing travel. I bought one for my husband, as well and the medium was too small for an average male, but he does use it for napping during road trips or on planes.
on October 11, 2013
With the draw string pulled closed about 90% this pillow (Large size) is an apx. 10" X 12" oval which gives the down plenty of loft and fits inside my mummy bag. However; just as the compressible pillow it is still not quite tall enough for me so something must be placed under the mattress to raise it to the appropriate level. Then it is comfortable. It allows your head to sink in which makes a pocket and keeps the pillow in the right spot even if it is not trapped in a mummy bag. The covering material feels very nice but should have a pillow case as frequent washing of the down is not a good idea. I just ordered this which shrinks a lot so is just the size I was looking for:
Bucky Small Duo Pillow Case
The large size Thermarest pillow weighs less than 1/2 pound and compresses very well in a compression sack.
on January 31, 2013
I bought this mainly for use as a travel pillow in the car. It's a nice size that can store in the seat-back pocket when it's not in use. The really nice thing about this is you can tighten the drawstring to make the pillow as firm or as soft as you'd like. Cinching it down will make the pillow smaller, however.

Sometimes all I want is for my head to not turn to the side when I'm sleeping in the car, and with this pillow you can make a doughnut shape by moving the down around. It works perfectly.
on November 4, 2016
It does compress flat if you leave it full size, but if you cinch the cord to pre-compress it then it holds loft just fine. Makes sleeping on the trail a dream. I can't stand inflatable or foam pillows, this one rules.
on November 6, 2014
Very light, soft, and comfortable. It is not think enough for me to sleep on my side. I put it on top of other items to get the height I need. It packs down to nearly nothing (as you'd expect from down). It weighs nearly nothing too. I wish I'd bought something like this years ago. Getting a good night sleep while camping is becoming more and more important as I get older.
on December 11, 2014
I had to return it because you needed to double it in order not to feel the surface below, not big to begin with, so when doubled you practically have your head on a postage stamp and even so is not that comfortable. Way to expensive for what it is.
on November 5, 2016
packs really small and light, yet comfy, perfect for back packing and camping.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.