Truck Season Automotive Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon GoliathSeason2 GoliathSeason2 GoliathSeason2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on June 29, 2011
This isn't for backpacking. This is for convenience camping. I backpack, and wouldn't take this unless doing an easy one nighter. It's pretty big for a mat, but it's worth it. It's extremely comfortable. I slept great on it. I even had a friend sleep on it at my house once, he thought it was great. This is a big hit for me, as my family doesn't want to do a hardcore trips. So when I'm with the family I can sleep in ultimate comfort on this pad. It self inflates and only needed a few quick puffs to fill it up to 4".

If you're a car camper, get this you won't need another pad ever. If you're a backpacker look for other models this one is too big and bulky.
65 people found this helpful
on November 21, 2014
I had never heard of these mattresses until friends mentioned them to me. I was planning a road trip in my pickup and mentioned I was going to get an air-mattress. I'd been thinking of a cheapie, blow-up type from a big box store. Fortunately, they set me off in another direction.

This mattress is thin, about 3-inches thick, but does NOT need to be blown up. You simply open the valves and it inflates itself! If you want it a bit firmer, simply close one valve, open the other and deliver one or two good breaths ... to get the firmness you need. That's it. Unbelievably, it is that simple.

Since this uses some type of foam that the air infiltrates, there are no "cells" as in cheapie blow-ups that create pressure points that make sleeping very uncomfortable.

This truly is like sleeping on a real mattress.

I put a sheet of masonite over my truck bed, then a small camping pad for extra insulation, and then this mattress ... with a couple of old sheets and a blanket. I then did a 6,000 mile, 60-day trip and this was my bed for 90% of the trip (I have a camper shell over the truck bed). I got a great night's sleep. This x-large size has plenty of room even for a husky guy like me, so I don't roll off of it during the night. The mattress never bunches up or becomes uncomfortable. If it gets a bit softer than you'd like over time, open the valves to let more air in.

And although I was camping in the northeast in the fall, and had a few quite chilly mornings, as long as I didn't kick off the blankets, I was nice and warm.

I've now had this for almost 4-years and have used it tons of times and it has never disappointed me. I look forward to using this until I'm no longer able to travel ... my friend's have had theirs for over 25-years!!

Oh, and when you're done, simply open the valves, roll it up, put it in its own carry bag, and put it away. Nothing could be easier.
on December 21, 2014
I bought two of these, and I am glad I did. We have one person who can sleep on it as is. Another person, with very tender joints actually stacks 2 of these together and gets a wonderful night of sleep. The more tender person greatly prefers 2 of these stacked vs. a standard air mattress. This item gives more resistance when trying to brace to roll over while sleeping. The ability to brace makes all the difference to turning easily without coming fully awake. There are a couple of caveats to my joy with this product. The luxury map is intended to fit a person of a reasonably specific size. If you are too small, or too tall, the map will not hit at your pressure points in the way it was intended. If you have a camping store available, I suggest trying out the sizes before deciding which size to buy, or communicate with Thermarest customer service by phone about your options. Also, it is important to store this item with the valves open if you storing it in an area that will get hot soon or several months from now. This includes when it is laying in your hot tent all day. If you find yourself complaining that it lost air overnight, then check to see if you closed the valves before going to bed. (Yes, I made that mistake.) If you have trouble folding it after use, then read the instructions.They really help. Seriously. I store mine opened flat, valves open, under a bed. I wrap them in a cotton sheet. Works great. This item is big. If you are looking for petite, or light weight, then this is not for you.
on August 21, 2013
It's a 3" thermarest pad, what more do you need to know? These things are great. Have used it for over a year and it works well. As a side sleeper I have had problems with thinner pads, the 3" thickness of this is pretty good and the 'cut outs' seem to help give me a better sleep than the normal pads. If I could go thicker without spending a ton more or getting crazy in size when rolled up I would, but this seems to be a great compromise in size and price.

This year (2014) I found a better option for me as a side sleeper. If you like a firmer bed then this 3" will probably work fine for you. Earlier this year Thermarest came out with the Mondo King, it's 4" thick and if you time it rignt it's not too much more than this one. I prefer a less firm bed and this Mondo King is just the ticket, I get the soft platform I want and the support I need as a side sleeper. I knocked my review down a star to 3 only because there is a better option for my particular needs. My wife is a back sleeper and she loves the 3"....Hope this helps!
4 people found this helpful
on May 1, 2017
Bought this knowing that like all air mattresses, it would have a finite life. They say these things are repairable but Ive never been able to detect where the leaks were occurring so generally just give it away to someone else with the ambition to try to figure out how to deal with it.

My Luxury Map worked great for about 4 yrs of somewhat heavy use - not only camping about 2 or 3 times a year, but have used it periodically sleeping on floor at home because of bad back and ongoing problems with my regular bed.

Only now its not holding air, so I guess I would say the durability is about average-to-good - ie typical of Thermarest pads.

My main problem (and why I gave only 3 stars instead of 4 or 5) is the zoning on this thing. For people with bad backs, we like mattresses which are more firm in the middle third of a mattress- for back support and to prevent the hammock effect from occurring (i.e. butt sinking in too low) which aggravates the back and invariably causes me to wake up sore. This mattress for some weird inexpliable reason puts the softest portion in the middle third so it has to be at full inflation before theres enough support in that area, which then makes the upper and lower third too hard. This over-inflation may have contributed to eventual air leakage, I dunno.

Finally, I have to complain about the size choices. When will manufacturers figure out that some of us would like a luxury 30 inch wide mattress that comes in a standard 72 inch length. - people who are short/average in height and/or want to sleep in our station wagons or smaller sized tents. I bought the 77 inch XL Luxury Map mainly for the thickness, and for the 30 inch width - the length has been a PITA to fit into places I want it to fit. And now I see the 30 inch width for the Mondo King is even longer, nearly 7 feet! Good grief, why does it need to be that long? I dont know if Ill be buying any more Thermarests for car camping - will make or buy something out of foam.
on September 28, 2012
I have tried many things for camping, roll out mats, several air mattresses and foam. All have been pretty useless I am quite heavy so it is hard to find something that is comfortable and that will last, I have seen some great reviews on this brand so decided to give it a go. Initial self inflation was useless as was expected from the instructions, ended up having to manually inflate. After this initial inflation they do self inflate very well, I still end up adding air but I do like a firm feel. Just returned from a 6 day camping trip and I did not have to re inflate my thermarest during this period as it held air very well. My daughters did go down a little but she just opened the valve for a bit and it re inflated to the firmness she liked. These have been the best things I have ever slept on camping and hope I get plenty of life out of them. Easy to deflate and roll up and store. Quality looks second to none and so far very happy with purchase.
on October 1, 2013
Something happened to me when I hit about 35 years old . . . sleeping on the hard ground made me wake up feeling like I'd been in a car wreck. I love to go camping but wasn't ready to be "that guy" who has to blow up an air mattress before he sleeps in a tent, and this was a great compromise.

I sleep like a baby on this thing. I have used it on close to a dozen camping trips now, still working great. Roll it out, open the valve, give it 5 or 6 good puffs of air and it's ready to go.
2 people found this helpful
on January 7, 2014
I bought this to use at home. I use it on a daily basis on carpet. I like the fact you can control how hard or soft you want it based on the air valve. However, I really don't feel the "luxury" or "MAP" points on this. I don't have anything to compare it to....but I sleep quite well on it. I do wish it was a bit wider so I would have more room to move around.

It has now been about a year and it still does not leak air. The only issue is the strands of the material are unraveling along side the edges. I am happy with my purchase.
on March 17, 2013
I bought this for a couple planned camping trips this year. Normally my idea of roughing it is a cheap motel, but decided to give tent camping a try again once in a while. The first time out of the box it seemed slow filling up, but I'm not sure how long it's been tightly packed from the factory. Once it looked like it was done self inflating, I put a few breaths into it and laid it on the basement floor to try it out. I was really surprised that I could not feel the concrete beneath me. I think it will be really comfortable in the tent. I will find out in a couple months on our first scheduled outing. Might raise it to 5 stars if I wake up without a stiff back.
on May 26, 2014
I thought that camping with the kids was over after my last 2 trips with a regular sleeping bag pad - really tough sleepless nights and sore hips and back during the day. I read a lot of reviews online and, based on my situation (height, weight, car camping), I decided to buy this Thermarest from amazon. It is super simple to use with only a few breaths required to firm it up to comfort level. Comfort and support are excellent and we had a surprisingly cold night (low 40s) and that wasn't a problem - it held my heat. Deflation is not hard - release the valve, fold it, sit on it, then roll it toward the valve. Easy-peasy. Highly recommended for folks like me - a little older, who loves to camp out of the (small) trunk of the car, and doesn't want hip and back pain!
2 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.