Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,231 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,393 reviews
on January 16, 2008
I work in an office that does not allow individuals to have their own coffee machine due to fire concerns. Rather, they offer free coffee (ahem, if THAT stuff could be called anything other than hot colored water).
So, the french press is the way to go, and this thermos keeps the coffee hot just long enough for me, which is about 2 hours (don't know why they claim 6 hours, mine is OK for 2-3 hours). I have seen some negative reviews of this product, and I think those folks need to take a minute to work with the product a bit more. Here are my recommendations:
1. If it leaks coffee grinds, then look at the screen. There should be NO bends in the screen along the coil. This is where coffee grinds can leak through. Nissan should replace the screen for you free of charge if you receive a defective screen, which is not all that uncommon. You can also buy replacement screens at local kitchen supply places.
2. If you don't like the super-fine grained coffee that still gets through (I am like this), then do what I do. I place a regular paper coffee filter on top of the grinds prior to placing the screen on top. This does a fantastic job for me. It slows the press a lot, but the extra 10 seconds of press time is worth it in my mind.
3. Rinse the thing with HOT water prior to adding your coffee water. It makes a difference in my experience and helps make for a hotter cup of coffee.
4. Make sure the water you use is HOT. Be careful of some office coffee machines that have a hot water tap on them. This is usually not hot enough for coffee. You may want to use a separate container for microwaving your water to boiling hot before pouring into this container. This is true for all french presses, but the added thermal capacity of this stainless steel model cools the water slightly, so it helps.
5. Between pours, rotate the lid closed so that it is sealed off and won't cool down as quickly. I usually forget to do this, but when I remember, I get warm coffee for almost 3 hours.

In summary, I get fantastic coffee with mine. For those of you that don't, maybe try a few of these tips.

I would give this 5 stars, but I believe they ship too many of these with faulty screens that need replacement (the small bends in the screen near the coil can let grinds come through). This is a minor complaint for the price, though, as replacements are readily available if you don't want to wait for Nissan to send you a replacement.
1111 comments| 335 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2011
OK, lets address some points made in another review.

1: This IS a double walled vacuum insulated coffee press. Not sure if the other reviewer is reviewing the same product?

2: This press DOES keep coffee hot for hours. Reading directions is a hobby of mine and the first line of the directions for this press is "Preheat press by filling with hot water" I run hot water into it from the tap and let it sit while the water is boiling. This is a crucial step with any vacuum thermos if you want the best performance. I also realize that "Hot" is a subjective term so I did a side by side comparison.

I set my old glass walled Bodum* french press sided by side with the Nissan vacuum french press. I preheated both with hot water from the tap. I poured 30oz of boiling water into each at the same time.

After four minutes (the standard time for making coffee) The Nissan press was at 188 degrees, while the Bodum glass press was at 174 degrees. After 30 minutes the Nissan press was at 182 degrees and the Bodum press was at 140 and one hour later the Nissan press was at 177 and the Bodum press was 101

I'd give this press five stars except that my press arrived with a misshapen filter screen. The screens are cheap and replaceable (I had a new screen for my old press that fit perfectly) but obviously it should arrive ready to use. I expect that this was a quality control oversight.

[...]
on May 3, 2012
I bought this item because it was a great deal for the price. The glass French press I currently use works well, but the coffee gets cold before I have a chance to enjoy the whole brew. A glass French press with no thermal insulation generally costs close to the price of this one, so this fact is worth taking into consideration despite my review below. That being said, below are issues with the design of this item (it is definitely worth a read before you purchase this item).

First of all, it seems as though the base (the double walled, vacuum insulated carafe) was made by one manufacturer and the top (lid, plunger and screen) was made by another. The base is a great design with the double walled vacuum insulation and it does its part in creating a thermal barrier to keep the coffee hot. It even has a rubberized lip along the top, which is intended to create a proper seal with the lid once it mates.

The lid however is NOT insulated and it does NOT create a proper seal with the base. The lid is a thin piece of plastic (solid but little insulation value) which is about a 1/8 of an inch too small in diameter. So there is a bit of side to side movement between the lid and the base, which means no air tight seal. There is a "turn to open or shut" function for the lid, but if the lid doesn't create a proper seal there is no point to it. If you tilt the carafe, coffee will come out whether the lid is turned to open or to shut! As we all know heat rises. With the lack of a proper seal between the lid and base and a lack of insulation in the lid itself, the function of the thermos is diminished significantly by this lid design. If you touch the base, it feels cold (meaning no heat is escaping through here); however if you place your hand over the lid it feels hot (there is a great deal of heat escaping through here). Coffee gets warm in less than half an hour. But this is forgivable since it is still better than a basic glass French press with no insulation.

This brings us to another issue: the screen mesh. The function of the screen is to push the coffee ground down so that it does not end up in your coffee. Again, the manufacturer has another great idea by providing a screen with a very fine mesh (small gaps). The finer the screen mesh the less coffee ground (and "silt") ends up in your coffee. The problem is that the screen may be a bit too fine such that it prevents flexibility or the ability to collapse/gather to a smaller size. The lack of flexibility may also be due to the way it is folded for strength along the outer edge. This may have made the screen too stiff.

Like in any other Coffee presses, the screen is designed much like a sombrero. The screen's outer circumference designed to be a bit larger than the inner circumference of the base/pot. There is a circular spring which goes behind the screen (top of the sombrero), which serves to push the screen against the inner wall of the pot as it is inserted. [The spring for this item is very firm and it serves its function well.] As the screen mesh is inserted into the base, the base forces the screen mesh inward (causing it to shrink) as the spring behind the screen pushes it outward (causing it to expand). Between the two, the basic design creates a tight fit as the screen is pushed downward by the plunger. At least this is what is supposed to happen in theory. In order for the screen mesh to conform to the base, it needs to be able to collapse and expand much like pantyhose or fishing net. The screen used by this manufacturer is not very flexible. So rather than the screen shrinking or gathering along the outer edge, it folds, creating accordion like folds around the edge. These folds essentially allow large coffee grounds to escape and end up in your coffee. So the finer mesh, which was intended to keep the fine silt out, results in allowing both silt and large coffee grounds into the coffee!

Finally, this brings us to the aforementioned rubber seal which was intended to create a tight seal between the lid and the base. When you pull the screen mesh out (to discard the used coffee grounds), the screen snags on the rubber seal on its way out. The screen mesh is delicate; so snagging it each time you clean the press is not a great idea. The only solution I figured out was to pull it up half way, and then tilt the handle/screen sideways (close to 90 degrees/vertical) and then pulling it up the rest of the way. The screen still rubs on the seal, but it doesn't cause it to snag awkwardly.

Conclusion:
I returned mine. Although the thermos function does partially work (which is a great feature by the way for the price), the lack of proper screen function does ruin an otherwise good item. You could always replace the screen ($5-10) for a more flexible one, but you may damage that one too while pulling it out each time you clean the item.
on November 10, 2013
Broke my forth replacement carafe and decided to purchase this Thermos Nissan.
Produced massive grounds on first brew. Bad design as others have mentioned.
I replaced the (lower threaded retainer, screen and upper retainer/spiral spring) with
parts salvaged from my old Bodum Chambord coffee press. Note: the Bodum Brazil has the same
parts. The Bodum screen is .002" thicker and the spiral spring cross sectional diameter is
.006" thicker. This forces the screen against the sidewall preventing creases or pleats
in the circumference of the screen. What also works is a Bodum V1508 screen assembly
with silicone perimeter seal. I use regular ground Community Coffee made for drip coffee makers
with no problems.
on December 3, 2012
I bought this after breaking the third Bodum french press beaker of my coffee-drinking life. I get that glass is fragile, but my last Bodum broke when I was just gently tapping grounds from my grinder's plastic grind bin into my Bodum Brazil and a big chunk of glass broke off. I used it for a while, dreading buying yet another, and then one night I was cleaning it and knocked it over sideways on the counter and it shattered completely. Bodum stuff is just too delicate and poorly made for real-world use. The previous couple beaker brakes felt deserved, but when this one succumbed to being tapped and then knocked over (I mean how many pieces of glassware would break just from being knocked over sideways on a table?) I decided it was time for a new brand.

For this purchase, the primary consideration was indestructibility. I don't put much stock in the thermos-like capabilities of this device, because anyone who drinks press coffee knows that you can't let it sit and keep steeping, even once it's been pressed; it just gets too strong and nasty, so you have to decant the coffee immediately or suffer the consequences. That said, I am confident the beefy stainless steel and plastic chassis will never, ever, ever break under daily office use, and it would probably be OK to throw out the window and run over with a car a few times.

I'm not on board with the complaints about too much sediment in the coffee. If you press slowly and carefully, don't wring out the grinds under pressure once they are compressed, and don't pour out the dregs, you'll be fine. This is just the nature of press coffee and you have to understand that once the coffee is poured, you can't stir it, shake it or take that last sip.

My only complaint about this device is that the pour spout is a bit drippy, you have to be deliberate and maybe follow up with a thumb-wipe or blot with a tissue if you have one handy. A disappointing weakness, since the thing is molded plastic they could have made it any shape they wanted, but bad pour spouts are not exactly uncommon.
on May 30, 2012
My girlfriend kept breaking glass coffee-presses just like she kept breaking my heart; slowly crushing the fractured beaker-esque pieces beneath her little cowgirl boot as whatever new man-friend she had tromps his bloody feet all over my carpet. This excellent press from Nissan (I guess if you can make a car you can figure out how to make a damn good coffee press) features an unbreakable stainless steel construction in addition to a very well performing thermos, keeping my coffee warm for hours in contrast to my own cold, steely heart.

My only complaint was that even with the lid turned away from the spout it spilled a little in the bag of my motorcycle as I rode away to contemplate a new life. Probably just strapping it upright a little better instead of letting it slosh around would have helped but I was in a rush.

TL;DR Great press, wont break, keeps your coffee warm, wont cheat on you.
My wife was introduced to this press and Crio Bru Cavalla (1.5 lbs) by a close friend...she was amazed and we ordered them right up.

The construction of this press is impressive and highly functional. Just add boiling water and replace the lid...let the press get hot, pour the water out, add fresh boiling water and whatever you want to press - in our case it's the deep, dark chocolate grinds - and let it sit for a few minutes. Then just depress the handle, and the grinds are pushed to the bottom of the press and the rich, deep chocolatey goodness is left to be poured into your mug.

Great for those cold winter mornings, or afternoons or evenings for that matter. You can, of course, add milk, creamer, or whatever, and viola - dark hot chocolate (or coffee if you prefer).

Far superior to other presses we looked at.

Definitely 5 stars!
on January 18, 2012
I drink my coffee black, so even small taste improvements are usually worthwhile to me; though they can be virtually imperceptible to other family members who prefer to augment their joe with sugar and/or cream. So, when I read all the glowing praises of the French Press method of brewing, I just had to give it a try. It's not 1000x better than drip, as some have stated, verbatim. And, you might have to get used to grounds in the bottom of your cup. But I've definitely been converted.

At first, I wasn't that overwhelmed. The directions didn't advise stirring the grounds into the water and just recommended a brewing cycle of 4 minutes, which resulted in rather weak coffee, the first cup or two anyway. After learning to both stir the grounds and let it brew a little longer, my joe is as flavorful as I want to make it, depending on the type of coffee I'm making.

I went back to my old 16oz to-go drip maker one morning when I needed to take my coffee with me and couldn't believe the difference; it was much more bitter than I remembered. The only possible downside to French Press is that I'm drinking a lot more coffee than I used to when I only made a single serving at a time. I've tried making just half the pot, but just find myself wanting more, which is practically the case even after finishing the entire 34oz - one of the downsides of working at a desk I guess.

I drink my joe a bit weaker than some, like they used to make it years ago, before latte's and cappuccinos, which require much stronger brews, became all the rage. I typically only use one tablespoon per 6 oz cup, rather than the recommended two tablespoons, unless I'm brewing it for cappuccino, and the coffee is never bitter or weak and has a better flavor than drip using twice as much grounds.

Since buying this, I've purchased a 12oz glass Boddum as well for when I just want a single serving. Having compared the two, I'd never buy a larger glass carafe. The coffee is made the same, so it tastes the same too - I suspect all French Presses are equal in regards to taste - but glass doesn't keep the coffee nearly as warm, and it usually takes me an hour or two to finish up the 34oz Nissan, depending on how busy I am that morning. I'd also wager that this, mostly metal, product will last a lot longer than Boddum's "shatterproof" plexi-glass they use on larger models, as I've read many reports of their cracking over time.

The Nissan couldn't be easier to clean. The press quickly disassembles for better cleaning of the filter. Though, half the time, after dumping the bulk of the grounds in the trash, I just rinse everything out under the faucet - takes less than a minute total - no more than 2 minutes to completely take apart, clean, and reassemble.

The Nissan will keep the coffee plenty warm for my taste, for a couple hours - longer if you don't drink any from the caraffe, which is probably where they get their 6 hour spec from, as it stands to reason a carafe full of hot liquid will keep the contents warmer longer than one that's half full of cooler air from drinking.

I've bought several Nissan thermos products over the years and have been very happy with the material quality and their design. Working in construction, I've abused one of their thermos models with many years of accidental drops and such, and it still works perfectly. Looking at the design and build-quality of this press, I expect it'll last just as well. There are a couple areas it could be improved though. One: the lid could be better sealed and insulated, which would keep the coffee hot even longer. And two: they could get rid of the rubbery plastic, which is more prone to damage if dropped or otherwise abused, so that you could warm the water right in the carafe itself, if you want. Some high temperature plastic, just on the handle, for pouring, would make it even more practical for camping use as well.

Because of this product, I've already put away my 12 cup and 16oz drip coffee makers, with no desire to ever use them again. Unless I discover an even better way of making coffee, or another press that's both reasonably priced and addresses my only two criticisms of this model, this could be the last coffee maker I buy. It should certainly be the last one I ever need.
on February 25, 2014
I've been using French presses to brew small batches of coffee for years, but wasn't happy with the quick cooling after brewing.
I bought the Thermos Nissan press to resolve that issue, and soon learned the enclosed instructions are not very good and there IS a learning curve in using the Nissan press properly.

It is important to appreciate your personal tastes in the coffee you brew and each French press has its own idiosyncracies in brewing coffee to your personal preferences.

First, all French presses requires COARSE grind coffee. You cannot use 'drip brew' grind in a French press. Finer ground will yield a product which will allow you to stay awake 24 hours or longer!
You should experiment with the amount of coffee added in the brew process; depending on my blend du jour, I use anywhere from 2½ to 3½ scoops to a quart/liter press.

Brew time can range from 3-4 minutes.

Many people who've purchased the Nissan French press complain about the amount of coffee grounds in their coffee cup.
This can be prevented by reducing the amount of water added to the carafe.
Note the inner liner 'flare' at the top of the inside of the carafe. The water level should not be higher than 1/4" BELOW the flare. This will essentially eliminate grounds in the final product.
Follow these instructions and you will be VERY happy with your Nissan insulated French press coffee maker.
I love this French Press coffee maker, and insulated Thermos carafe. It makes enough for me in the morning to get about 2 and a half big mugs of coffee. I use two tablespoon size scoops of organic rainforest coffee beans (great deal at Costco), processed to a medium to fine grind. You can let stand for about 5 minutes to get the full flavor of the bean, and then push the plunger.

By the way, in order to avoid the scalding liquid squirting up around the cap, which happens to all of us from time to time, give the grounds a swirl with a spoon before you press the plunger. The "coffee jam up" that causes such unpleasant and messy experiences happens because the grounds tend to float and get stuck around the edges of the plunger screen as you push it down.

City dwellers may find the grounds clean up a bit of a problem, as they may have to bash them into their garbage can. (It's not a great idea to put them down your sink, even if you have a garbage disposal, as they will probably eventually clog your drain). IF you have a garden, even large pots on your patio, the best thing to do is remove the plunger, add cold water to the sludge in the bottom, give it a few swirls to get the grounds off the bottom, and empty them into your plants. Plants love coffee grounds!

Recommended!