Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Thermos Stainless King 16-Ounce Travel Tumbler, Midnight Blue
Get free shipping
Free 5-8 business-day shipping within the U.S. when you order $25 of eligible items sold or fulfilled by Amazon.
Or get 4-5 business-day shipping on this item for $5.99. (Prices may vary for AK and HI.)Learn more about free shipping
|You Save:||$3.04 (11%)|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Thermos vacuum insulation technology for maximum temperature retention, hot or cold; keeps liquids hot for 7 hours and cold for 18 hours
- Durable stainless steel interior and exterior
- Cool to the touch with hot liquids, sweat proof with cold
- Built in tea hook, easily holds tea bags or most loose leaf infusers
- Fits most automobile cup holders; Capacity 16 Ounce
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers also shopped for
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
From the manufacturer
What Matters to Us
THERMOS brand products deliver what matters every time. As the leading manufacturer of convenient insulated products for over 110 years, THERMOS is trusted by consumers to provide innovative portable containers that promote a safe and healthy lifestyle. THERMOS delivers when it matters.
Technology Matters: THERMOS vacuum insulation technology keeps hot things hot and cold things cold
With traditional containers, heat or cold finds its way inside through the process of convection.
THERMOS vacuum insulation creates an airless space between two walls virtually eliminating the convection process and temperature change.
Your drink will stay icy cold or steamy hot no matter what the forecast.
Before first use, and as soon as possible after each use, wash all parts with warm, soapy water. Rinse all parts thoroughly and allow time to dry.
Contents should not be left in the container for longer than 24 hours. As soon as possible after each and every use, wash all parts with warm, soapy water. Rinse all parts thoroughly with clean water. Allow all parts to dry completely prior to next use or storage.
Do not use abrasive cleaners or scrubbers since they may dull the finish.
Do not use bleach or cleaners containing chlorine on any parts of the product.
This product is top-rack dishwasher safe; however, hand washing is recommended as the dishwasher uses harsher detergents and hot water that may affect the appearance of your product.
Residual liquids, foods, or other contents may become trapped between product components, such as lid parts, container parts, gaskets (flexible band around lid and/or stopper), or straws (if present in the product). Although this product is top-rack dishwasher safe, hand washing is recommended to ensure that all parts of the product are thoroughly cleaned.
For maximum thermal efficiency, preheat or pre-chill the product just prior to use. Fill with hot/cold tap water, attach lid, let stand 5 to 10 minutes and empty water. After filling container with contents, re-cover with lid to increase thermal efficiency. Never use a microwave, conventional oven, or other heat source for this purpose.
- Thermos L.L.C. warrants this Genuine Thermos Brand product to be free from defects in material or workmanship for five year from date of purchase.
- This warranty does not cover ordinary wear and tear or color fading, or any condition affected by abuse, neglect, alteration, accident or improper use or maintenance.
- See Warranty Section or our website for full warranty.
Assembly and Use
Sealing Lid with Tea Hook
1. Remove lid (E) by twisting counterclockwise.
2. Remove retainer (A) by turning it counterclockwise and lifting up.
3. Remove retainer gasket (B) from retainer (A).
4. Remove sealing disk (C).
5. Remove main gasket (D) from underside of lid (E).
6. Wash all parts separately, then re-assemble: Main gasket (D) as shown in enlarged diagram above; Sealing disk (C) with smooth side facing lid; Retainer gasket (B) on retainer (A); Push retainer (A) onto lid post (E1) and turn clockwise to lock.
7. Fill container with contents. Do not overfill: Leave space for the lid (E), to avoid overflow.
8. Replace the lid (E) onto the mug or tumbler by twisting it clockwise.
9. To drink, slide the lever (if present) or push the button (if present) on the lid to the ‘open’ position.
10. This product comes equipped with an integrated tea hook that accommodates stringed tea bags and most loose leaf tea infusers with separate chain hook. For stringed tea bags, simply wrap the string of the tea bag around the integrated hook and allow the remaining string to hang outside the lid. For loose leaf tea infusers with a chain hook, slide the chain hook through the integrated tea hook and enjoy. For best results, prepare tea per the tea manufacturer’s instructions and remove tea bag or infuser after tea is brewed.
- Do not use product in microwave, on stove-top, or in any type of oven.
- Not recommended for use by children: Keep out of the reach of children, especially when product contains hot contents, which may burn or scald user.
- Always test temperature of contents before consuming.
- Do not overfill the container: Leave space at top of container for lid and stopper (if present), to avoid overflow. Hot contents may burn or scald user if overflow occurs.
- Check periodically to make sure any gasket (flexible band around lid and/or stopper) is present and properly positioned to prevent contents from passing through stopper when stopper is closed (if applicable to product). Missing, worn or misaligned gaskets may cause product to leak. Leakage of hot contents may burn or scald user.
- In general, contents should not be left in container for longer than 24 hours. However, the rate at which contents spoil depends on several factors. Certain contents that include, for example, dairy and/or tomato may start to spoil sooner. Proceed with caution when using the product with quick spoiling contents.
- If contents are left in the container longer than 24 hours, or you suspect spoilage, use caution when opening the container. Contents spoilage can cause pressure inside the container to build, possibly leading to the forceful ejection of the stopper or contents. In such circumstances, before attempting to open the container, ensure the opening is pointed away from the user or other persons to avoid injury.
- Do not use tools or devices to force container to open.
- If you are unable to open container by hand, do not open it and dispose of it at your local waste facility.
- Do not use to store or carry carbonated drinks or dry ice. This may cause lid/stopper and contents to eject forcefully or leak.
Compare with similar items
Thermos Stainless King 24 Ounce Drink Bottle, Midnight Blue
Thermos Vacuum Insulated 18 Ounce Stainless Steel Hydration Bottle, Charcoal
Thermos 24 Ounce Hydration Bottle, Stainless Steel
Thermos Stainless King 16 Ounce Compact Bottle, Midnight Blue
Thermos 16 Ounce Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel Travel Tumbler, Stainless Steel
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Color||Midnight Blue||Midnight Blue||Charcoal||Stainless Steel||Midnight Blue||Stainless Steel|
|Item Dimensions||3.3 x 3.3 x 7.6 in||3.4 x 10.3 x 10.3 in||8.8 x 10.7 x 10.7 in||3 x 3.26 x 9.75 in||3 x 3 x 9.6 in||3.5 x 3.5 x 8 in|
|Material Type||Stainless-Steel||Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel|
Thanks to the TherMax double wall vacuum, the Thermos 16-oz Stainless Steel King Tumbler provides maximum temperature retention, keeping contents cold for nine hours and hot for five hours. The unbreakable stainless steel exterior stays cool to the touch with hot liquids, and remains sweatproof with cold.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I gave "two stars" because I have no idea how to average 5 stars for functionality, and 1 star for a fatal flaw that may not even apply to everyone. I have purchased two of these mugs from Amazon and owned them for two years. I must warn you about an issue that happened with both my mugs after about 6 months of use.
First, make no mistake - the functionality of the mug is superb. No springs to break down. The cap can be disassembled for a good cleaning. And hot? Wow. It keeps hot coffee HOT for hours and hours. I have left my mug in my car in 40 degree weather only to find the coffee still drinkably warm 6 hours later. On a warm day, my coffee is still hot when I get back to my car at the end of work 9 hours later!
Ah, but therein lies the rub -- leaving it in a hot car.
I do not know if it is the heat that builds up in the car, but with both mugs that I had purchased, within 6 months, the coating started to peel. Once the coating starts to peel, that's it, it's all over and your world becomes one of annoying paint flecks everywhere. Within a short time, you will have flakes of paint coming off in your hands or even worse, in your mouth.
I thought maybe this was a fluke with the first mug, which is why I bought the second one. But it happened with the second one as well. Why? I suspect it's because where I live in the Southwest, the interior of the car in summer gets to well over 120 degrees. I don't really know, but I know that it has happened with both mugs.
The only two options for me: scrape off all the remaining paint, or get a different product. As much as I love the function of this mug, after trying two of them, this one fatal flaw has forced me to take the second option.
7/1/2013 Update: After reading so many people have NOT had this problem, I'm going to increase Stars to 3. Also, I'm going to try one of these mugs one more time. I'll buy a third one and see how it goes. As I mentioned above, the performance of keeping things hot is unbeatable. Many thanks to all who have commented over the last couple of years!
3/26/14 Update: It's amazing how many people have commented and I thought I'd give an update as it's been nearly 2.5 years since I first wrote this article. Again, for functionality, this mug cannot be beat. It does an incredible job keeping coffee hot. The lid mechanism, while not quite as easy as some (such as Thermos 16-Ounce Vacuum-Insulated Travel Tumbler, Stainless Steel), is a "one hand" operation and has not failed at all. (I have tried several other types with spring-loaded seals that have not lasted as long.) I have kept the cap clean by taking it apart and cleaning the seal and plastic and it has remained leak-proof. The only problem was the peeling paint, and now that I've removed the paint, the mug actually looks BETTER since it is a nice stainless steel. I remained dumbfounded that Thermos just doesn't make this as a stainless steel without the paint. It would be a perfect product and look great, too.
Several times, Kleen Kanteen has been suggested as an alternative, so I looked at those. While I'm sure they have great thermal characteristics, the lid functionality would not meet my needs. I sit at a desk or in a car. I need to keep my eyes on my work or driving and have one-hand operation. The mug has to be able to be picked up and the channel to the fluid opened with one hand without having to futz around with unscrewing a lid. I need to be able to then re-seal the opening in the lid and set it back down. And most importantly, it must be leak proof when closed. Unless I missed something, none of the Kleen Kanteen models fully satisfy my needs because of their lid options.
With the paint now scraped off, Thermos Stainless Steel King 16-Ounce Travel Tumbler, Midnight Blue is my go-to mug. I use it every day. But I do have a "second place" mug as backup. While it does not keep coffee as hot quite as long, and eventually the spring based top open/close mechanism can get funky, the Thermos 16-Ounce Vacuum-Insulated Travel Tumbler, Stainless Steel has worked very well for me and it comes in stainless steel - no paint problems at all!
NOTE: Apparently Amazon has removed my user-submitted photos so ignore any comments I've made about "see photos"
- Keeps things HOT: This is travel mug 101, but not everyone does it well. This Thermos mug keeps my coffee hot for hours! Works exceeding well.
- Leak-Proof: This is another big one for me and this mug is indeed leak-proof. I filled it up and turned it upside down, shook it, rolled it, you name it, nothing leaked out.
- Cleaning: First, it's dishwasher safe; this is more uncommon than you would think. Second, you can take the lid apart to get at all the parts for cleaning so you don't get build-up in hard to reach corners of the lid over time, very nice! [NOTE: Paperwork that came with product said it was dishwasher safe, but on Thermos's web site (and Amazon product description) they specifically say NOT to put their "stainless steel vacuumware" products in the dishwasher and that they are NOT dishwasher safe. Not sure which is correct]
- Lid Design & Stainless Steel Lip: The stainless steel lip for sipping is more comfortable than plastic or rubber. Also, the design of the lid helps in preventing scalding hot liquid from getting to your mouth too fast.
- Doesn't have rubber smell: A rubbery smelling lid is a problem that is often overlooked and something I really don't like. This Thermos mug uses plastic, stainless steel and a rubber gasket in the lid. It doesn't have any smell when you drink from it, which is perfect!
- Build quality: It's built like a tank, in fact some may find it too heavy, but it's clearly well made.
- Shape and Size: It's a 16 oz mug, but what's nice is it will fit in a "standard cup" sized cup holder. I own a 2001 VW Passat and they are not known for their cup holders, but no problem with this mug. This, again, is often overlooked; just a great design.
The only thing I can't comment on about this travel mug is its durability over time, since I've only had it for a couple of weeks, but other than that it's the only travel mug I've ever owned that met or exceeded everything on my list of what I think "the perfect travel mug" should be.
This travel mug may not be for everyone. I love the midnight blue color and heft of this mug, but my wife prefers the shape, weight, and look of the stainless steel "Contigo" travel mug, which is also a very nice travel mug. The issues I had with the Contigo travel mug were: 1) doesn't fit in my car's cup holder, (2) no escape from hot liquid, much easier to burn your mouth, and (3) harder to clean.
This Thermos Stainless King travel mug gets my vote for the best and is well worth the $; can't recommend it enough!
First: The rubber ring has a very strong friction quality which you can feel when screwing the lid down on a dry mug. Sounds good? Well, this makes it difficult - sometimes extremely difficult - to remove the lid. The rim of the lid is a smooth, polished metal making it very difficult to get a grip on it. I have had to put on rubber gloves to be able to remove the lid on several occasions. Very embarrassing to not be able to open your coffee mug when getting a refill at the office. Definitely avoid if you have wrist problems!
Second: The damn gasket fails frequently. It is not uncommon to find a generous dribble of coffee running down my chin. Tip the mug when closed and you can see the coffee coming out from between the lid and the mug. I can't X-ray it, but I surmise that the super-friction has caused the gasket to fold or kink, causing a leak. It doesn't help that the gasket-part assembly design is only weakly connected together.
Note to Thermos designers: Please use your actual products for a month before releasing them!
This could have been good, but, like the Contigo mold factories with their secret pockets and nooks that collect coffee but are impossible to clean, it's just too complicated. I am switching to a mug with a simple flip-top closure. All this extra mechanics is causing me to waste a LOT of money.