Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports toystl17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 76 reviews
on October 1, 2007
I'd never heard of this group before until I saw them on TV playing "Physical Cities" from the Prog CD. I liked what I heard, listened to snippets from their work and bought Prog, Give, and Vistas. This music works for me. I can put this on when I'm piddling around in the house, at work, or in the car and it just puts me in a good mood. The standouts on this CD are Big Eater, Everywhere You Turn, Flim, and Smells Like Teen Spirit. I love they way that they transformed Teen Spirit into something that is equally as good as the original. Flim is such a lighthearted ditty, you can't help but think of sunshine and running through a field of flowers as it's playing. The piano crescendo on Silence Is The Question and the bass work on Guilty are first-rate. My only problems with this CD are the overdone improvisation on Heart of Glass, which literally ruins the song for me, and the chaotic noise of Boo-Wah.
on November 12, 2013
These guys do for jazz what Muzak only dreams it could do for modern music - they produce interpretations of current pop and rock hits in the jazz form that are fresh and interesting. And they have enough of their own good material to keep you coming back for more. This is an all around solid jazz album and well worth a listen if you're open to something different. Don't know where I was when these guys started out, but I'm sure glad I've found them now!
VINE VOICEon May 30, 2004
I first became aware of the Bad Plus when saw them on a Saturday Morning TV network show. I thought they were pretty good then, but I didn't make the connection with "Smells Like Teen Spirit", which I heard on the National Public Radio affiliate here in Cleveland. A few weeks ago, I saw an article about the Bad Plus in Downbeat and then it clicked.
I've always been wary of music critics. Trying to describe music by writing about it is like trying to create a charcoal drawing depicting a three-act play. Jazz recordings for me are especially difficult, because even though I have played an instrument for years, I am not a jazz musician. I like jazz because it is a form of music that, even given the constraints of conventional performance, is very close to free form expression.
I like this CD. If you appreciate the history of jazz during and following the post World War II years, then you'll probably understand the direction of this trio led by pianist Ethan Iverson. Iverson's method on piano, at times is understated, but that's okay; it works. Reid Anderson and David King on bass and drums respectively, are, to say the least, a solid rythm section.
I suppose a purist, or a member of some mutual admiration society, would be inclined to say that Ethan Iverson isn't Bill Evans, Chick Corea or Otis Spann. That the inclusion of "Heart of Glass" and "Smells like Teen Spirit" covers show that the Bad Plus was influenced more by Keith Emerson than by Art Tatum. My response would be to say: So what?
Let's face it: Unless the medium is infused with new blood, it will die off. After all, how many obscure, unreleased recordings of jazz musicians dead and long since buried are going to captivate a younger, musically sophisitcated audience?
Anyway, this is the sort of CD that I like.
on November 10, 2015
This was a good CD until the final two tracks and it rapidly went downhill.
on June 26, 2015
Great ensemble-maybe the future of jazz -Ill buy more of their albums
on May 30, 2014
This is a great great album with a crunchy sound rarely found in jazz. And of course great songs. Highly recommended.
on December 27, 2012
So I am new to the Jazz scene, and I recently got into Dave Brubeck after hearing Take Five on a podcast talking about his death. So after researching jazz music I came across these guys. I bought their newest CD Made Possible, and I was blown away by how much music a Drummer Pianist and Basist can really make. And now I have These Are The Vistas, and wow its even better. I love Aphex Twins and their cover of Flim is ridiculous! I listen to both CDs on repeat shuffle throughout the day, I'm excited about this band in a way I haven't been for years concerning music. I wouldn't really call them jazz, in a sense there isn't a wind instrument. But that's ok, because whatever they are its great raw music.
on November 24, 2014
Wonderful.
on March 29, 2003
Brilliant players, superb originals and covers, intensity and passion and smarts on every track. Less jam-oriented and more pure jazz than Medeski, Martin & Woods, this is a group to pay attention to.
on March 10, 2013
This is a good album. I usually dont buy albums but I had to have this one based on how good it is. Great instrumentalists!