Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: They're Only Chasing Safety
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ryley Walker Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports

on June 2, 2005
I can tell that this whole recent wave of emo/screamo/pop punk/indie/anything that never used to appear on TRL reached its peak of popularity because good, quality cd's are now being bashed for being emo or any other said genre above. This cd being among them. If you're reading this because you have seriously considered purchasing something from Underoath, but have not heard anything from this album, don't be swayed by the sudden surge in poor reviews for this album. I've got a 10 dollar bill saying these poor reviews are for the new wave of anti-emo sentiment rather than for this album. On the otherhand, if you're not an audience for screaming and heavy riffs, perhaps this isn't for you, but don't let this new "be cool-hate emo!" concept sway your opinion or your desire to purchase this album. I rate this album 5 stars, not because I like emo/screamo but because I feel this album earns its 5 stars.
on October 12, 2004
Underoath was good on the first CD but they're about 20 times better now. "Oh no, they're not screaming all the time, they're actually doing some singing! Ew, they're too sissy for me now." Get over it. Bands mature, and maybe they decided this was the direction they wanted to go, maybe be a little more diverse in how their songs are set up. Nothing you bitch or moan about is going to change that. And frankly you need to be a little more open minded if you hate everything that isn't all screaming. That being said, this is my favorite CD of all time. Their new screamer is amazing, and the drummer's singing voice is incredible. The drums and guitars are tight and the production is the best I've heard. Even the artwork is sick as hell. And now for everyone's favorite thing, the track by track review. Woo.

01 Young And Aspiring - A short fade in and the band jumps right into it. Very upbeat. The synths add a nice touch, especially in the breakdown. The vocals are great when they overlap, and the last line will really hook you. "This is my finish, this is my call to arms."

02 A Boy Brushed In Red Living In Black And White - The beginning is just palm muting, and sounds a little Taking Back Sunday-ish, as does the verse. When you hear it you'll see what I mean. This song is one of the more poppy tracks, since a lot of the vocals are clean. The breakdown part is amazing with the programming. "Don't shake, I hate to see you tremble." One of the catchiest parts in the whole record.

03 The Impact Of Reason - For some this is the skippable track since it comes right before everyone's favorite. I'll admit it's not the BEST song on here, but it's definitely worth listening to. Mostly screaming with a pretty hardcore breakdown all within the first minute. Gets pretty catch at the end.

04 Reinventing Your Exit - Yay, it's everyone's favorite, the single. This song catches your attention right from the feedback intro and never lets you go. Really good singalong, and a great driving song. One of the catchiest choruses I've ever heard, it will not leave your head for days. "This is the way I would have done this, up against the wall, you've got me up against your wall."

05 The Blue Note - Just an instrumental interlude. It's skippable, but it's not bad. Kinda jazzy drums with brushes, and a keyboard. Ends with some weird voice effects.

06 It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door - This song wastes no time in bringing on the hardcore. Lots of programming and effects, including a quiet almost techno-like breakdown. Definitely the most experimental song on the record, it comes complete with distorted drum solo, directly followed by choir. The chorus is really catchy, especially when the whole band just kicks in. "Drowning in my sleep, I'm drowning in my sleep."

07 Down, Set, Go - Energy anyone? Starts off with a distorted intro, but everything kicks in eventually. The chorus is very energetic, another good driving song. It never slows down for a second. The acoustic breakdown is amazing, especially when it kicks back into whole band. "Whatever I say goes."

08 I Don't Feel Very Receptive Today - Probably the first new song they wrote, since it sounds a lot like old Underoath. This song is all screaming and pretty hardcore. Make sure you listen all the way through, the breakdown at the end is incredible. The very end is playing around with programming and a little mellow interlude.

09 I'm Content With Losing - My favorite song on here. Energy all the way through, and every single part is catchy. "I'm halfway there, and it's all on me. This is what I get for wanting more." The end is ridiculous, 4 vocal tracks all going crazy.

10 Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape - I think the screamer sang this song. His voice sounds like Copeland. The first half of the song is mellow with a synth drum beat. The whole band kicks in at the end. They're a christian band but the only time they ever mention Jesus directly is in this song. It's better when christian bands don't mention Jesus, because it shows that they're not using their god as a method of making money. "Hey unfaithful, I will teach you to be stronger." Great ending with harmonics.

If you read the lyrics they're amazing. They used to sing indirectly about god by referring to it like they would a girl. There's still a little of that but for the most part the lyrics got more diverse. Make sure you get this album, you'll thank yourself.
on February 4, 2005
First of all, I was skimming through the reviews and a review that caught my eye was one written by xTragedyxBrittanyx "LiLBrit'" in which "lilbrit" expresses his/her oppinion on christian screamo. Having recently baught the cd and falling in love with it, I didn't absolutely agree with "Lilbrit". Most of the review was not unbearable untill the part in which "Lilbrit" makes the statement "I bet Jesus hates screamo too". This is where I felt I had to interject. Christian music is still christian music no matter how loud their music is or how hardcore they are, and if you really want to know what they are screaming about mabe you should look up the lyrics yourself.

The CD is great. Not having owned some of their older music I don't know how it is compared to their old stuff save for their song "When the sun sleeps" which is possibly the greatest song I have ever heard.

For the record I am one of the losers that clicked the "NO" button on your review. Mabe one day there will be Christian death metal but just because it's death metal doesn't mean it doesn't have a christian corel.

All who read feel free to click no.
on August 1, 2006
wow. this is an album that i didn't take out of my CD player for the first 3 months that i owned it. it's keeps me head bobbing throughout the whole album. but, to the actual review:

everybody seems to be complaining about this not being "real metal". and they're right: it's not. those are the people who have heard of the old underoath, or were dallas taylor day fans. If you are an old underoath fan, i don't recommend this album for you, because the music changes so drastically.it takes a much softer approach than their old work. honestly, i think spencer is a much better screamer than dallas, & he added so much to the band. however, the guitars really aren't that great. they sound similar throughout the whole album. chris dudley their keyboarder can do some really sweet stuff. if you are trying to get into hardcore/screamo, this is a good album to try out. the best parts of this album are the dynamic singing/screaming choruses that will leave you singing them over and over in your head. i recommend every track on this album except The Blue Note. It seems like a filler that really doesn't fit in with the album. my favorite tracks are Young And Aspiring, as it's a great opener showing what the album is all about, A Boy Brushed Red..., Reinventing Your Exit, which i think is the best singing/screaming combination of vocals on the entire album. my favorite track is It's Dangerous Business..., because of the awesome music & chorus, and last but not least, I'm Content With Losing.
on August 23, 2006
I have to be honest. The first time I heard They're Only Chasing Safety, I only liked one song, and I said to myself, this is screamo crap, and it all felt like it was the same. The only song I liked was A Boy Brushed Red; and that was about it. For some reason I started listening to it again, and at some point the album just clicked for me. I started to like more songs each time that I listened to it. For me at least, when I actually listened to it with a open mind, I found something amazing and something that I had missed before.

This album is just about pure engergy. Its not the best album ever made, its not groundbreaking or totally original, nor is it music to look at deeply and analyze. What it is tho, is crack in music form. Its full of energy, catchy hooks, great riffs, raw power and emotion. Believe me, this is energy music if there ever was any. It pumps me up, I love listening to it in my car.

It's music you just feel, you don't have to think about it. It really gets under your skin and you can't stop listening to it. You have to give a album credit when it does that to you. Kudos to that. And I havn't got sick of it yet, so that says something about it as well. I'm not really into hardcore/screamo, but this is a really well done record, and it does hit you hard. Believe me.
on July 5, 2006
... to find bands like Underoath just anywhere. I mean, these guys are really good singers, guitarists- everything. Plus, they're a Christian band, so their music always is uplifting and "safe for the whole family"- that is, except for those with sensitive eardrums. That being said, They're Only Chasing Safety hasn't left my CD player for a long time...

Underoath combines many things that could possibly attract a larger crowd than just Christians- in-your- face screamo lyrics, guitars that make even Ben Moody scratch his head in a preplexed manner saying, "Now how the heck did he do that?"... but I'm rambling.

Personally, my favorite song from the album is It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door. With a catchy chorus, pleasant use of a chorus singing "Drowning in my sea, I'm drowning in my sea...", and screamo for all to enjoy, I just plain love this song.

And to the guy who wrote that Underoath is a "bit too pushy about their Christian beliefs", I have a little question for you: Would you rather listen to Christian bands like P.O.D. or Underoath that aren't afraid to hide who they really are, or bands like Dashboard Confessional who are a good bit more popular but who rarely mention their true beliefs at all? In my book, standing up for what you think is right scores major points in my book.

In closing, don't let my rant scare you away from seeing my real message: If you like metal/screamo bands, you CANNOT miss Underoath- this band's for you.
on November 3, 2005
First off, I'm not that big a fan of screamo bands, but this one hit a "sensitive" note with me I guess you can say. I heard "Reinventing Your Exit" on Fuse for the first time, and I decided to check them out at the Warped Tour. They're performance blew away just about every other band there, so I decided to buy their album. A few songs stick out for me, but this isn't one of those albums with which you fall in love with every song. "A Boy Blushed Red" is another good tune. The screaming is melodic, heart-felt, and it doesn't seem to set itself apart from the music in any odd ways like with so many other similar bands. The lyrics are well written as is usual with most of these bands, and like most screamo bands, the lyrics are very "teen angst" or rather "emo" oriented. Which isn't a bad thing, just not everyone's cup of tea.
on July 13, 2004
Underoath has changed a lot since their past CDs and I understand why a lot of fans would not like the new CD and singer. The only songs that sounded kind of like they could be on The Changing of Times (and my favorites) are "Young and Aspiring" and "I Don't Feel Very Receptive Today". The rest all sound a lot more melodic and a lot softer. They brought in a few new crowds, but lost big fans. This is personally one of my favorite CDs, and I like it just as much as their previous CDs. I recommend this CD to anyone who listens to Atreyu (did the same thing by changing their sound), The Bled, Poison the Well, From Autumn to Ashes, and As I Lay Dying.
on July 11, 2013
...However, It isn't all bad. But I will say that it's more of an album that I can throw on to just kill the silence. Don't get me wrong, there are a FEW good songs on here, but the album just isn't my style. My friend told me to check out Underøath because they are "a pretty good metal band". Yeah, those were his words. I was recommended the 2nd track, A Boy Brushed Red Living in Black and White. I was actually highly impressed with the song for its very unique sound as well as the catchiness of it combined with the heaviness. That track alone bought me the album. I listened to the rest, and this isn't metal. This is a mix of post-hardcore and some metalcore. The metalcore parts of the album are pretty good, but I'm not a fan of post-hardcore. So naturally, this album isn't the greatest thing in my collection, but honestly, I have heard much worse. *Why don't I like post-hardcore?* Well, I don't mind screaming, however, I really dislike how the screaming is done. They just scream over whatever they feel like. However, I don't think it sounds good to scream over music that has a similar flavor to The All-American Rejects (with heavier drumming). That's just me. If you took apart the song and heard each instrument separately, you'd say they all sound good. Put them all together at once though, and they may not mix right in some areas. As I said, this album has some good moments, but I'm not going to pan it because it just isn't my style of music.

The music:

1. Young and Aspiring- The song starts off the album on an intense note. The guitars create a melodic and atmospheric tone and the drums are intense in nature. The dueling vocals wouldn't be out of place in a metal band. This is a good song. I like the drumming in it. It does a lot of shifts and the vocals are done tastefully in this song. This is definitely a metalcore song. It's very catchy, fairly heavy, and epic. I must say that both vocalists deliver good performances. They have talent. Overall, this is a good opener and a good song. I'd give it a good thumbs up!

2. A Boy Brushed Red Living in Black and White- Well, that's a mouthful of a title. However, this is easily the BEST song on the album. End of story. The band really locks in together on this song and they sound like they're enjoying what they're doing. They also put more emotion into this song. The drums are amazing, I highly approve of the drumming on this song (me being a drummer myself). Both vocalists are PERFECT on this song! I LOVE the vocals on here! The guitars create a melodic atmosphere and I really would have to say that these guys possess much talent and showcase it well on here! This song is definitely a metalcore track, however, this one leans more toward metal than any of the other tracks! Aaron's vocals on this song specifically really standout and his drumming, as I said, is absolutely amazing! This is a song I can headbang along to and air-drum to! It's a very epic song. I've easily listened to this song over 100 times in the past month. The guitars, while they aren't technical, definitely have a unique quality that I've never heard. All in all, this is a GREAT song and I highly enjoy this one!

3. The Impact of Reason- This song is meh. I don't care for it. The drumming is unique, but this is that post-hardcore sound that I'm not a big fan. There isn't enough bass to support Spencer's screaming. It just leaves the song sounding empty. When a band screams, they should make the music intense, brooding, and in your face. This song has the screaming in your face, but the music isn't in your face, it's just kinda in the background. Had the whole thing been sung clean, it would've been fairly good. Had the music been heavier, I probably would've enjoyed it. It's an ok song, I guess. It's great if it's your style.

4. Reinventing Your Exit- This song is kinda in the middle of being metalcore or post-hardcore. The guitars a low enough to actually support the screams, yet the music is still happier than it should be to have screaming. I actually kind of like this song though. It's a nice little melodic tune with some good vocals. The vocals are really this song's main focus. The guitars play some good melodies and the drums have some good fills, but it definitely isn't up in your face. It's still just a nice little mellow bit though. Well as mellow as you can get in this genre because the song beautiful, but the screams don't belong in some places. However, that fact doesn't bother me as much on this song. Here it isn't very bad, but there are some tracks that are just downright ridiculous. Good, solid song.

5. The Blue Note- Honestly, this track is pointless. Sure it's an interlude, but really, it doesn't add anything important to the album. I don't use this word a lot, but this is definitely filler.

6. It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door- This title is interesting and the song isn't exactly terrible, but it's just bland. The only part of the song that I enjoy is the breakdown which sounds like a low choir singing "I'm drowning in my sea". I enjoy that part, but the rest of the song doesn't do too much for me. The drumming does have its moments in this song, though. But the actual music is just bland to me. The screaming is just there on this song. I don't really care if it fits or not here because the music doesn't interest me as it is. Again, this isn't exactly terrible, this just isn't a style I listen to and don't really like. I don't want to pan it cause this isn't my realm. I don't know other bands of this style so I can't really compare it to anything.

7. Down, Set, Go- I really enjoy this song! The opening is just awesome! The guitars and music have some force and emotion behind them and then it goes into a very melodic verse. On this song, I like the guitar parts and the music so much that I really can't complain about the screaming. So what? The music on this is really inspired and has a drive behind it. Aaron's vocals on here are great and his drumming takes a more Pop-punk approach, but it sounds good. The guitars are still more atmospheric than leading. There is a nice acoustic bit in the middle of it that is good! I like the guitars in it and Aaron's got some range! Then it blows up and Spencer gives us some harsh action! The guitars then add a melodic lead that really makes me wonder if they should do more than just post-hardcore. The lead here would've sounded perfect over some heavy music (a.k.a. some metal). Good song none the less!

8. I Don't Feel Very Receptive Today- The guitars provide some good, epic texture in this song, but I'm just not a fan of the style. I like the texture of the guitars, but the drums aren't as impressive and flashy as they were on the opening tracks and Spencer dominates this track. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but either way I'm not a huge fan of this song. He does some absolutely abrasive shrieking in parts that just really annoys me. The song ends at like 2:50 or so and then Aaron and Chris play the song out to the end. It's ok. Not really good or bad. It's just there...

9. I'm Content With Losing- The guitars and Spencer open up this song in an upbeat way. However, I think the music is a little too upbeat to justify screaming. See, I can't get used to the application of screaming in this music because they just apply screams here like they're medicine to a cut. The screaming I'm used to hearing is used to symbolize pain and aggression and agony and the music behind it usually has some evil in it as well and then the music becomes light and the clean vocals symbolize good. That's what I like in screaming/singing. This song, though just puts more screaming over music that just doesn't sound like it needed it. I've tried to accept the music the way it is and accept that this isn't metal, but either way, I just don't like the way in which it is delivered. The cleans on this song are great though and the drumming is kinda cool. Not a fan of this song, either.

10. Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape- Well this song isn't in a style I don't like, but it is a ballad-type song. What don't I like about it? Well, honestly, I don't know what it is, but I just don't like it. I don't really have a reason on this song, but it's decent. It isn't the best slow song I've heard, but it just kinda doesn't do much for me. It's another song that's just there. I just don't feel anything with this song.

Verdict: This album, I'll say again, is not my style. If you dislike my review because I don't like the album, then whatever. Yes, I gave it four stars and I wasn't very positive. The album doesn't deserve 3 though, because it doesn't suck. It doesn't deserve 5 because I'm not in love with it. It's just an above average post-hardcore/metalcore album.

If you like Underøath, it's a decent album. If you like post-hardcore, I'd check it out. If you like metalcore, I'd say sample it and then judge since metalcore is pretty diverse. If you like metal, sample it multiple times and then proceed with caution. Some songs on here have a great metalcore sound that will appeal to those who like heavy music. There are really only 2, maybe 3 at most, songs like that. The rest are basically post-hardcore tracks.

This album, however, did get me to look into Underøath's other albums, and I've since purchased the next album, Define the Great Line. It hasn't sunken into my mind yet, however, that album is DEFINITELY much heavier and much more emotional/passionate than this album. I can't even believe it's the same band. But I'll save my thoughts for whenever I review that album.

To close things off, I'm a fan of rock music, metal music, and even some pop music, and this album combines something from all of those genres and borrows from punk too. In short: some things just don't mix.
on October 14, 2005
The new stuff on this cd is very good. You get "I've got 10 Friends" and some other remixes/alternative takes of songs all ready on the album. You get the bonus dvd which is the main thing you should be buying this album for. It has a crap load of features from like every tour they have been on for the past year, and it has them doing a bunch of stupid stuff. I respect these guys even more, watching their dvd, and understanding more about their faith. I give it 4.5 stars because it is still a cd that is all ready been out, and the last three songs, aren't exactly new songs. I've seen this band live once and I'm going to see them again in a month, and they are great live. To that dude below me a couple of reviews, dude chill out and quit complaining. I have been waiting for their new cd since Their Only Chasing Safety came out and I listened to it hundreds of times. I'm sure all the fans are very anxious about hearing the new cd, but give it time. If they rushed into the studio, then the new record would not be as good, and then you would complain about how much it sucks. So do what the rest of us are doing and wait until the new album comes out in spring. For now, enjoy the extra stuff and quit acting like a spoiled brat, who gets whatever they want. The band does not revolve around what you want, they are their own individuals, let the artist decide when to be ready to make the new album. It's people like you who piss me off.