Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on September 27, 2012
I have rather mixed reactions of this work. On the one hand, the book provides a fun, pithy set of principles from the field of psychology that have a peripheral bearing on web design. There were many principles that I found rather helpful, such as where the eye focuses, how people remember, and the relationship between rich visual media and human interest.

On that other hand, I found the work to be a rather banal treatment of a very broad field, psychology, that often moved so far into the periphery of design considerations that I found myself wondering if there is any direct application that to the field of usability. For that reason, I was not entirely convinced that this particular book is the best medium and presentation strategy for developing what is largely praxis: design execution, usability engineering.

While well outside the realm of this work, I am left with the lingering question as to the relationship between literature and artistic expression. How does one translate rigorous academic thought into an intuited set of practices that, in turn, inform those thought processes?

Nevertheless, this made for a quick and delightful read of psychology from a designer's perspective and, for all my reservations, gladly recommend this for designers wanting to understand better their users.
11 people found this helpful
on January 14, 2018
I liked the format of this because I could reach a section or two or three at a time and still feel like I was making progress through the book. It was useful to highlight things that come up a lot in my professional life, so I can refer back and cite some of the studies, or even just have the information tucked in my mind, so when people behave a certain way I can nod knowingly to myself and approach the situation with a little backup.
on April 5, 2016
This book, targeting designers, is a recommended reading for whoever wants to have an overview of knowledge in human behavior. It covers a wide range of topics in a concise way and its arguments are well supported by research. Its merit may also be its limitation: it does not cover any issue in detail. Thus, it is a good introductory reading, but design professionals and other readers ought to go beyond this book if they wish to have a more complete understanding of human behavior in all its complexity.
4 people found this helpful
on August 1, 2012
I'm only half way through the book, but I felt inclined to give some positive comments. I love the way the information is laid out in chunks, just enough for you to understand and process, regardless how technical she gets. That said, it's really great how she does go into that level of detail as far as how the brain works and what we are doing and can do with information. At the end of each segment, there is a very brief section called "Takeaways" that sums up what you just read, and I've found in a few cases, this includes things that one may or may not have gathered by reading between the lines, if you will. Whether it's to ensure that you don't miss it or simply to drive the point home, it's very helpful, clever and, I'm sure, deliberate. As a designer, it's so important that you understand your target audience, or even how humans think in general... this is a MUST BUY!
3 people found this helpful
on March 7, 2015
This is it - a list of 100 facts about how human brain works, with almost no linking of how this knowledge can be applied to design, or to any other area. Probably worth reading if you like collecting fun facts about everything, but it's definitely not the best book for someone who looks for practical advice on how to make their designs better.
13 people found this helpful
on May 11, 2018
Great book. Written in an engaging way. The information is high level but it gives the basics so designers can use the guidelines immediately and prevents readers getting bogged down in too much science.
on December 18, 2011
This is a must read book for designers of any kind. Some of the "studies" and research backing the claims are questionable though. I mean, really, you could say that everyone draws a coffee cup from a canonical point of view based on many theories and studies... or you might just say that's usually the way everyone experiences a coffee cup, thus we depict it that way in drawing. But, all in all, this book presents some great reminders of principles that we know to be true but don't consciously evaluate day to day. If nothing else, you can use it as ammunition to back-up you design choices.
3 people found this helpful
on November 6, 2017
It's a wonderful book. Contains a lot of scientific facts that you can transform in practical issues in advertising and web sites. As all PhD, the autor provides references to enhance the learning, byond the scope of the book. You can learn how little changes in design make big difference in the impact of the messages.
on January 17, 2018
This should really be "100 Things Everyone Needs to Know About People". This book was extremely interesting and enlightening start to finish.
on January 24, 2018
Quick read, but design applications are a bit of a reach. There a many other design books I'd place above this one.