BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Jessi James decker PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

on December 25, 2014
This book was recommended to me from a nurse and I immediately got home from the hospital and purchased it. This is the kind of book you can jump around to the chapters that resonate with you the most. I did read this book cover to cover and did connect with some of the 10 things more than others. It is a wonderful book to carry with you and when you are feeling down you reread a passage that will lift you up and remind you how to stay on track with your healing. I found this book to be the most helpful self-help books that I have read. My book is tattered and marked up but I recommend this book to everyone that is going through troubling times or needs some encouragement to be more mindful in times of increased stress.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon June 14, 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
The author lost a spouse but this book is not just for those in her situation. I'm grieving a far different kind of loss and found the suggestion in this book to be extremely useful. Since grief can encompass anger, despair, loneliness and far more, the author shares those feelings with us.

It is easy to feel alienated and out of touch with the world when trying to survive grief with some measure of self intact. One of the most reassuring things about this book is how it validates feelings which may feel crazy or cause the sufferer to be ashamed. However, because the author shares her anger and grief, with full reactions to insensitive comments or her inability to move from bed on some days, I was left feeling less alone and more understood.

Ideally, friends and relatives will step in to provide support. Even so, this book can offer extra solace.
44 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2015
This book is very well written and is a great comfort for someone who is facing, dealing with, or trying to recover from any significant crisis or event in their lives. Each of the Ten Things somehow related to my suffering and I found myself finding hope as I read each chapter. Kingma has many excellent examples of how major events, while appearing to be devastating to any normal person, can actually be tools for the reader to use to either improve their lives or put into perspective as they cope with day-to-day challenges.

There are a few sections where Kingma goes "over the top" with elements of spirituality that didn't speak to me, however she does a great job a making the reader understand how big the world really is and how insignificant many of the events in our lives our, even though they certainly don't feel that way to us. But I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone who is struggling with a major event, catastophe, illness, loss or anything that is significantly effecting them and they are struggling to find hope. This book gave me a much better sense of perspective and hope and I think it would for others too.
on November 24, 2013
At its core, this book is not really a traditional self help book. Rather it provides structure people need to think outside of the box about the problems they face. It provided me almost
Blinding revelations about why I did the things I did. As I read one particular chapter, all I could say was -- oh, oh, OHHH! It helped me understand that my mother had used money to control her children. That when she felt bad she spent money (lots of money) to make herself feel better. I felt such a tremendous relief because I now had the opportunity to understand I was a self made man and that she didn't control.me anymore
on October 22, 2012
At the time my life was in pieces and I didn't know how I was going to ever recover. Everything I was doing felt like knifes sticking into my hart. Sometimes when you are having problems usually you wait an in a few days you start to feel better about yourself. I must have waited for two weeks and it seems as if my life was going down the drain and looked as If there was a real possibly of not get any better anytime soon. I was already depressed and was getting more depressed day after day. Until I turned on the television and was flipping through the channels when I came upon a talk show and heard the phrase, "Ten Things To Do When Your Life Falls Apart". Wow, I thought that they were talking to me!

The talk show had Daphne Kingman on and she was explaining to the host how there are times in everyones life where you feel like your whole World is falling apart and you are all alone with no help in sight. Not even a rescue ring! I only caught half of the interview with Daphne but that was all it took for me to order her book.

I waited breathlessly for 4 days waiting for the book to arrive. As soon as the postman delivered the book, I must have had the look on my face like a kid on Christmas morning!

As soon as I read the first page of the book I felt this over welling feeling of peace and serenity. That there was hope and that there was someone to rescue me from my problems. The opening phrase quoted from Norman Cousins brought to mind that it wasn't the world turning on me it was my attitude towards life that was the problem. I realized that the problems that I were facing were actually my own doings of feelings of despaired and that the world didn't need changing, it was me who needed to change.

Thinking about the chances of coming across the interview with Daphne I felt was like one in one million! That to me was a signal that I was supposed to receive and how I came across this talk show when I did was also a sign. I know how crazy that might sound but in the back of my mind it was meant to be. And to add to an even bigger twist to this story is the fact that I'm not a reader! Yes, I read the paper and magazines but have not read a book since I read the story "Alive". A story about a soccer team who's plane crashed on a snowy mountain top and the players were stranded for thirteen months. How they survived for thirteen months you don't want to know.

To say the least, I have changed my attitude and so far so good and hopefully I'll never get into the downward spiral ever The Ten Things to Do When Your Life Falls Apart: An Emotional and Spiritual Handbook again. I still have problems but after reading Daphne's book I feel that I have been rescued from what might have been a total meltdown!

Thank you Daphne for changing the way I was looking at my life and giving me the mental tools in which to change and fix my life.
on August 24, 2017
Have not finished reading, but so far has lots of good ideas.
on June 5, 2014
My life DID fall apart in 2013. When that happened, Ten Things To Do When Your Life Falls Apart became a bedside staple. I find Ms. Kingma's writing and manner of communication to be extremely warm and empathetic. She KNOWS crisis from the inside out - this is obvious. I discovered the book when I saw Ms. Kingma being interviewed. I liked her immediately and found her real and down to earth. This book is wonderful, so so helpful and wise.
on October 18, 2010
Call it crises, chaos or our dark night, even the best planned life seems to deliver us to moments where things are simply falling apart. For anyone wishing to use these moments for personal healing, breakthrough and transformation, Daphne Rose Kingma's latest work, The Ten Things to Do When Your Life Falls Apart, is the perfect companion, hands down.

This is not a book about just coping or glossing over life's most trying times with overused clichés or new age philosophizing. Rather, it meets us where we live, and proceeds to nurture us along a healing journey, encouraging us, supporting us, and elevating us to entirely new levels of self discovery and unforeseen possibilities...

There's something I love about Kingma's writing which makes this book very difficult to put down. Perhaps it's her rich style, her honest and direct insights, her poignant stories, or the fact that this guide is overflowing with supremely deep wisdom and humility. Or perhaps it's because it's filled to the brim with heart.

Whatever else it is, this book is eminently practical, and offers ten simple, yet profound, strategies. Each one is a treasure trove, and could easily lead to a profound, new way of being. Each chapter concludes with questions to reflect upon, specifically designed to make these strategies, and this book, one's own.

Whatever issues you are dealing with - relationship, family, health, financial, career, emotional, or spiritual - this book can help. While it doesn't purport to take all your troubles away, these ten steps will certainly assist you in reclaiming and restoring your peace, sense of self and love of life.

If it feels that you have a new best friend by your side as you read this book, well, perhaps you do. I can't recommend this book enough.
on March 18, 2017
For anyone going through emotional upheaval in their life from any number of events, this little book is a great handbook to help you through the rough spots. Highly recommend it!
on July 19, 2016
Really enjoyed this book. It made me feel much better after reading it. I actually bought a copy for both of my sons to read and help them through the challenges of life. Well written and in a way that was easy to read and understand.