Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ThinkFun Gordians Knot
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

VINE VOICEon October 16, 2006
With many puzzles, a few moves will completely take the puzzle apart. They don't allow much playing around. A successful disassembly may mean that the puzzle is undisplayable and put away, sometimes forever.

Gordian's Knot requires lots of moves to take apart -- over 60 -- more than any simple 6-piece puzzle. Thus, it can be fiddled with and set down again in a perfectly presentable state. Taking a puzzle apart is generally more fun than putting one together. Myself, I have thousands of puzzles, but this is the one that I've played with the most, due to the fact that I don't have to do any clean up when I set the puzzle down again.
11 comment| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2007
I bought this as a gift for a puzzle lover and then couldn't resist getting one for myself. It is frustrating fun at the highest level. A challenge you will not be able to put down. I even had trouble taking it apart and putting it back together without the written directions. I have yet to do it on my own even after doing it with instructions once. The written history of the Gordian Knot and directions are done in a concise, interesting, and understandable accompanying book. It is hours of fun and challenging for all levels. If you like Rubik's cube and chess, you will love this as you definitely have to plot your moves ahead to be sure you are going in the right direction.
on July 21, 2008
I ordered this for my son, who is young (7) but loves these kinds of things. Knowing he would need the assembly instructions I was happy to know they were included. He actually got it apart on his own!! But the problem now is there is a misprint on the assembly guide. Steps 9 and 10 are missing and 13 is printed twice. I hoped to find an online guide but I can't find one. I hope someone uploads one soon. Until then, I'm disappointed.
on December 16, 2010
I love brain teaser puzzles. I'm not the best at figuring them out, but I like to entertain my brain with them. I've solved quite a few (still haven't managed to solve the rubik's cube, but perhaps one day I will sit down and try to understand how to solve the darn thing). I picked this one up at a local store about 3 weeks ago and played with it for about an hour each day. It took me about 7-8 hours to "untie" the knot. There were a few times that I felt like pulling an Alexander the Great and cutting the thing in half, but I stuck with it and eventually figured it out. This is a great puzzle for those of you who are more strategic thinkers and don't want to deal with the mathematical algorithms involved with a Rubik's cube.

I will note that I found a couple of pieces relatively tough to move. Specifically, the light blue and yellow pieces do not slide in and out of each other as fluidly as they should and it took me a good hour of being stuck (and reworking the puzzle from the begining) before I realized that it was a fault in the puzzle design and that I just needed to use a little muscle to pull the pieces away from each other. Other than that, this thing is great fun. I'd also like to add that putting the puzzle back together is almost as difficult as pulling it apart. Don't lose the directions....it is 60+ steps to put it back together!
on July 13, 2010
The amazing thing about this puzzle is you get to a point where you're convinced it's impossible and someone is having some fun at your expense as you try to disassemble a toy that can't be disassembled. But if it can't be disassembled, then it can't be assembled and there it is proving you wrong by its very existence.

I've lent this toy to 3 puzzle-loving friends all of whom have reached the "this is impossible" point.

The only negative is that some of the pieces don't slide unless you really push on them. They'll slide but it takes more finger strength than a child could muster. Reading some of the other reviews here, I get the sense that there's some variation in the manufacturing process as other reviewers find sliding the pieces easy enough that a child can do it.

On the plus side, the pieces are solid enough you never get the sense that the toy will break as you shift some of the pieces.

This puzzle is an all time great puzzle. Well worth the $10.
on December 18, 2014
If you like to tinker and/or figure things out this is a perfect puzzle.
I love this puzzle. I first found one at a second hands kids store and got it for my baby as a teething toy and soon became enthralled by it. Obviously, I spent more time playing with this than my baby ever has. I bought this second one as a Christmas gift and am sure that my brother will love working on it. Everyone who happens upon it in my house has been obsessed with trying to figure it out. But of course to buy this you maybe looking for some facts:
Out of the two people who have taken mine apart, it took them approximately 1.5 hours.
With the booklet it is challenging to put back together, but by no means impossible. It takes about 20min.
Even if you're not a super genius you can take this apart! Yes there's a specific order, but you can stumble through it. I was playing around with it, when I turned it and a piece fell off!
It's a great activity to get people away from screens and interacting. Plus a great conversation starter when people see it.
All in all, this is a fun puzzle and definitely worth the price for the hours off entertainment you'll get out of it.
on February 2, 2014
Though simple looking, this thing would be completely impossible without the instructions. It's even difficult with the book. The instructions will get the thing taken apart, but someone obviously miscommunicated with the writers.

After you've completed taking it apart the instructions are reversed to put it back together. Makes sense, right? Except the book literally gives the exact instructions in reverse order. 1 major problem - when doing this backwards the direction pieces move should be reversed (left = right, up = down, etc...).

If you're buying this as a gift, I recommend not sharing the above with the gift recipient. Just sit back and watch the frustration!
on February 13, 2016
I love love love this puzzle. I bought it to torture my brother, but we both ended up playing with it all day long on Christmas, and competing to see who could get farther while also helping each other out. Just when you think you're making progress you accidentally end up back at the start! It was a pleasant kind of frustrated. We ended up solving it without relying on the instructions, so I can't attest to whether they were accurate as some reviewers seems to have a problem with that. I will say, I don't think anyone would ever be able to put it back together without instructions. I just watched a YouTube video and got it back together pretty easily.
on December 5, 2015
I purchased this for my nephew who is 4 years old, autistic and extremely smart. He loves puzzles and this one was no exception. He was thrilled to open it and solve it. He plays with it over and over again and it keeps him entertained while his mother cooks dinner and does household chores. I would recommend this to anyone who likes a challenge!
on March 22, 2015
I saw this in an episode of NUMBERS and thought it would be an interesting toy for my cubicle. Its biggest downside is that I had to put it away when meeting with people or they wouldn't give up trying to solve it.

I would highly recommend reading the instructions before fiddling with it. During my first attempt at a solution, I got the idea to rotate a piece to remove another but later found that this is a bad idea. It is a fun puzzle and seemed

See 1 answered question