Industrial Deals Beauty Silent Corner STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 49 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 79 reviews
on July 21, 2016
This book is great. However, only buy it if you're the type of person who really needs a hard copy specific to Python3. It has been in the public domain for years in various iterations. There is even an interactive version. I bought it for a class and because I'm the type of learner who needs a tactile thing to write in, fall asleep with, or cry on.
review image
on March 19, 2011
This book should be retitled ThinkPython: An Introduction to Scripting.

I would whole heartedly recommend this book to readers looking for a quick 0-60 self study in (Python) scripting. It's a great place to start for someone with really zero or next to zero experience who is looking to get up and running as quickly as possible. This book does not spend much/any time on computer science. It spends very little time on software design over and above splitting scripts into modules and basic OOP.

When my 13 year old cousin expressed some interest in programming I gave him this book without a second thought. For a high school class / intro college course for non(-committed) CS majors looking to cover the same ground in more detail I'd recommend Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science by Zelle. (These recommendations assume you are committed to Python if not look at How to Design Programs by F, F, F, & K)

Bottom Line: If you are looking to cultivate an interest before crushing it with big O notation or have zero interest in CS but want to automate something using Python this is a good starting place.

N.B. This book is freely available online.
on November 29, 2013
Where was this book when I was taking college programming classes! I have to start off in saying that if you're a beginner in programming, this book is phenomenal. Allen explains the basics very clearly and thoroughly. I'd have to say this book is half about beginner programming and half on Python. As an FYI, this book is good for many basic principles of Python but if you're looking for anything more than just that, I'd recommend Learning Python, 5th Edition by Mark Lutz.

I bought this book for a new job that I took. I minored in CS and wish I would have had this book as my first programming book. I was attracted to it because I needed to learn Python (for work) and all of the guys use the Learning Python for reference. I figured why not start from the beginning and work my way there.

As far as the progression of the book, it moves pretty quickly. You have to stay on your toes with the examples. Having been exposed to a bit of Python before reading, I was able to keep up with the examples just in my head for a little while but as the book moved on, I was doing them in a console. I also think the flow of the book and how Allen moves from topic to topic keeps things cohesive quite well.

Overall, very well executed book and Allen assumes the reader has no experience in programming. Great book!

Update 1/20/14:
After finishing the book I wanted to write a follow up. I have to say that I stand by my initial review and rating! It has been a huge help in getting me up to speed. There are a few specific things that I would like to address.

In regards to the basic principles of Python, this book had done a very good job at balancing what you need to know vs what you can know. It was good to be reminded that this book is a beginner book. I ended up looking up more details and specifics of certain functions and methods mostly because I had specific requirements that I needed to perform with them. This can't be faulted on the author. As I had mentioned in my first review, if you're looking for more specifics, Learning Python, 5th Edition by Mark Lutz is a great tool. I've borrowed a coworkers copy and will be getting one of my own soon.

I cannot speak on behalf of the database content since I skipped over that section and have no experience doing database/structure.

Otherwise still very good book. I enjoyed being challenged as I read the examples and I like how it wasn't just a "finish what I've shown you" type of examples, but the author said, "Ok, I showed you mostly how to do it this way, and you finished it in another example, now do it a completely different way with what we just discussed."
on July 7, 2014
I am a big fan of Dr. Downey. Think Python is one of several introductory level books he has written recently. It is the product of many years of teaching computer science to university students.

It is a well laid out introduction to computer science, programming, data structures, algorithms, and Python. It is very well suited to independent study.

I am a retired university professor of computer science. This is a book I would have chosen as a class text.
on June 3, 2017
The good:
This is a wonderfully written book. Having programed for several decades, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed a introductory programing book. This book blends in concepts of how to solve problems while introducing python. The progression of python was done excellently with non-trivial insightful examples.

The bad:
I only gripe I have about my current copy of the book is that there were several pages missing! The 4 star is for these missing pages. Otherwise, this product deserves a 5 star for what it accomplishes.

The temporary fix:
As others have noted, this book is available online and I was able to read the missing pages there!
review image
on April 20, 2015
The book is brand new and delivered quickly. It's recommended by a professor of data science course. It's really good for students who encountered with python for the first time. There is also brief introduction to computer science and programming languages. It's nicely organized, explained and very easy to follow. I have not yet read it through although the course is over. I used it as a hand book and check whenever I forgot the command or had bugs. I will keep it until I get familiar with python, and becoming skillful. I really like the book because it somehow helps me to learn to think like a computer scientist.
on December 2, 2016
Its hard to rave about a programming book. It is a good reference and is well written, but let's face it, the fastest and best way to learn a programming language these days is through some short introduction course (like Coursera.org, or edX.org) and google questions. However, if reading a text from cover to cover, or just as a reference is your preferred method of learning, this is a good Python book.
on July 17, 2016
!st off....waaaaay cheaper than on campus. Second, does the job and fairly simple explanation of how python works.
on August 9, 2014
I am not new to programming, and for that reason the book is probably starting at a too low level for me. However, since I have very little spare time and I do want to learn Python, the example were so simple that it was then easy to try them out and get me going with this programming language.
on July 6, 2014
I already had the free e-book, but I find that having the text in a "non-volatile storage medium" is often more convenient. This is a terrific introduction to programming concepts via the Python language. It's also my favorite Python book. No wonder it is so often recommended as a primary or supplemental reading in so many beginning programming courses. This copy is going to be used in walking one of my kids through the basics of software development.