Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Thinkfun Mini Mouth Word Game
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

on October 15, 2012
MiniMouth was an instant hit with our family. We played for hours, starting with the hardest version (5 letters) and quickly retreating to a more manageable 3 or 4 letters.

It's a delight that the 26 tiles are exactly one alphabet. Spread them on the table, face down, and then take turns turning over 3 or 4 or 5. The plastic tiles are so well formed that a single flick on an edge flips them over, like tiddlywinks. We had much fun just flipping them for a while, then we got serious about finding words that contained all the exposed letters. The less proficient spellers were still able to keep up by just pronouncing the word. Great for dusting off your vocabulary, tickling your brain to remember words you don't use often. What I especially like is that the letters you're trying to fit into a word can be in any order, not necessarily first or last.

The only tricky part comes when you're down to only 6 or fewer letters, and they are the nearly impossible ones with which to make anything sensible. We solved this problem by using only 3 letters, and if that didn't work, just 2 letters. Worked like a charm.

It was inevitable that someone would propose trying to make the longest word using as many tiles as possible, leaving all letters face up. We found some amazing ones. Did you know that the word "uncopyrightables" has no duplicate letter? After we found a few really big words, someone suggested finding a group of words that exactly used up the whole alphabet. Having so few vowels to support so many consonants soon led us to form crossword-puzzle grids, with the vowels serving double duty for horizontal and vertical words. We managed to interweave 7 words within a 9x9 space, using all 26 letters.

Kudos to ThinkFun and the inventor, Derrick Niederman, for coming up with such a clever, quick, portable, friendly, stimulating and versatile game. It's a worthy successor to Niederman's brilliant "Pathwords", also published by ThinkFun.
on March 29, 2012
This is a travel size game that is perfect for entertainment on the go. The Mini Mouth game comes with 26 tiles that you use for playing. It also comes with a little bag, so you can keep it with you. I like that you don't have to worry about losing the pieces this way. This is something I'm going to keep in the car or my purse when we're out. For some reason we always end up waiting around for something when we're out during the week. Mini Mouth is a great way to pass the time. We really enjoyed playing it.

So how do you play? Each player turns over anywhere from 2 to 5 tiles. Then you try and make a word with the letters that have been picked. It's really fun. It really makes you think. It's a great game for children and adults. I love that this is a great way for my 7 year old to really think about how words are spelled. He really enjoyed it. This is a great game to help your child expand their vocabulary and have fun while they do it.

I received a free sample of this product to review on my blog and loved it.
on September 14, 2012
I also got this new ThinkFun puzzle last night called Mini Mouth (gratis from ThinkFun) and it was a blast! The instructions were clear and once my family got the hang off it..then competition began with finding words using 4-5 letters. Its a very portable game (comes with a soft bag) so it fits in my purse. Can't wait to introduce this game with friends. Its not just for kids, adults would love too! Another great ThinkFun game!
Thinkfun Mini Mouth Word Game
on October 12, 2012
MiniMouth is a junior version of their SmartMouth, a game we bought years ago before we had kids. The premise is simple - turn over two tiles and try to come up with a word that starts with one letter and ends with the other. With kids of varying ages, we've customized it for them. Gemma (age 4) only has to come up with a word that starts with one of the letters. Donovan (age 7) has to come up with a word that starts with one and includes the second. Ainsleigh (age 10) sometimes follows Donovan's rules, sometimes has to use one as the starting letter and the other as the ending sound. Sometimes we say the kids have to come up with the longest word they can think of with two of the letters in it (and they automatically assign one letter as the beginning). Whoever we deem the winner, gets the tiles. I have found this especially great for Gemma who is just starting to associate sounds and letters and words all together. It is fun when we can all play a game that challenges everyone. Thank you, ThinkFun, for sending us games to test out - our family loves it!
on December 27, 2014
my son is 7 and is an avid reader and spelling seems to come naturally to him. i snagged this game for his stocking at the last minute. he's REALLY good at it. the directions are easy to understand and it was really fun to play this game with my son (age 7) and my brother (age 49) at the same time!
on November 30, 2012
Disclaimer: I received Mini Mouth to review from Thinkfun.

This is a fast-paced fun game that really can help kids with building their vocabulary. I also homeschool and am finding this to be an educational and fun way to work on spelling and vocabulary at the same time. It's great on family game nights and for during school time. I like that it gets us thinking of new words.And, it's not just for kids...it's fun for adults too!
on November 6, 2012
My class loves the chance to play MiniMouth as a part of our literacy center rotations. It is a great way to get them thinking of so many words and expand their vocabulary. I especially love hearing the conversations students have as they explain why they chose the word or why they think their opponent's word was a great one.
on January 2, 2013
I keep this game in my purse and bring it out wherever we wait....dr offices, restaurants, etc. It is a quick, fast, and fun game where they are learning too! It's sooo much better than hearing "how much longer?" all the time.

Cheap, compact, and worth it.

My 5,7, and 8 year old all play.
on April 23, 2012
As a home educator I found this a great spelling tool. Just pick out letters that are in your child's spelling words. See if he/she can 'see' their spelling word with only a few of the letters in that word. Or even try it for vocabulary.

This game includes a handy pull-string bag to hold the letters. Easy to carry in your purse or diaper bag to pull out while waiting at the doctor's office, restaurant or even at a picnic.

Competition is always a great motivator for learning, don't you think?
on January 2, 2013
What parent doesn't love take along games to throw in your pocketbook and pull out in the doctor's office for the kids to play together, or to keep children entertained in the car on long car rides? When I look for take along games, I always turn to Thinkfun, as they offer fun, educational take along games, in addition to their large assortment of puzzles and games for children and adults to enjoy. So, when they sent along their word game, Mini Mouth, to review, I couldn't wait to try it out for myself, as I love word games, as well as share with my family. Like ShapeOmetry, I shared Mini Mouth with family who were visiting for the holidays.

This fast-paced word game was easy to explain to children and when paired in groups, it become one of the favorite games we played together over the holidays. The premise of the game is simple, you lay all 26 lettered tiles face down the table. Then, you choose to flip over between 2 and 5 titles. Everyone looks at the titles and tries to come up with a word that contains all the revealed letters. Difficult? Yes, it was once you had 4 and 5 letters turned over. The first person or group to call out a word that contains all the letters wins those letters. The game ends when all the tiles have been claimed. And, the person/group with the most tiles wins.

We started out with a few rounds of 2 letters being flipped, to get people accustomed to the game. But, soon enough, everyone was asking for more tiles to be flipped, thus making the game more challenging. For hours each night, everyone gathered around the table to play Thinkfun's Mini Mouth. nd, when we were done, the tiles stores away neatly in the Game-Go Bag.

So, if your family loves word games, then they will love Mini Mouth from Thinkfun.

Disclosure: I was sent a sample of this game from Thinkfun in order to write up an honest review. The views above are mine and mine alone.