Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 28 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 30 reviews
on February 13, 2013
I have read most of the original work by Kahneman and this purported summary suffers from being so generalized that it fails to convey key concepts in Kahneman's work. Rather than summarizing the book it dumbs it down to the point of uselessness for me. There are key underlying concepts in Kahneman's work that are left out, for example the idea of WYSIATI (read the original book to find out what that is) which is an important element in one of the two decision systems Kahneman describes. This summary isn't worth the price if you really want to understand Kahneman's ideas.
on January 14, 2013
If there was one belief that I took for granted, it was that I understood my own train of thought. However, this expert summary of Daniel Kahneman's Thinking, Fast and Slow reveals that no matter how responsible and meticulous we may consider our decision making to be, we are actually only aware of what he refers to as the second system of thought. The first system of thought encompasses all of the subconscious decisions we make based on intuition and biased associations. Without using System Two to analyze System One's unreliable conclusions, we end up making irrational decisions. Reliance on System One causes false confidence in errors that could easily be fixed through purposeful, analytical thought. Kahneman uses extensive examples to show how this can affect societal, economic, and individual prosperity. He also discusses how our experiences and memories divide us into two separate selves, because of how easily our memories and thoughts are manipulated. Through his reader-friendly discussions on these two theories, I feel I have a much better understanding of how to be aware of my own thought processes, leading to a decrease in errors in judgment and an increase in happiness.
on March 28, 2013
I found the hypothesis put forth in this book very intriguing. This is a summary of Kahneman's central thesis which is that the human brain is divided into two systems: one, which thinks fast and automatically based on emotion, and the other, which is more deliberative and based on reason. It illuminates Kahneman's contention that people generally make decisions using the first system and then convince the second system that a particular choice is the right one by performing a small analytical breakdown of it. He asserts that in order to make correct decisions about significant matters in one's life a person has to train his or her mind to recognize which system is being activated, examine why it is being utilized, then come to a decision based on the calculations of both systems not just one. Furthermore, the book provides examples of how this affects everything from one's financial decisions to personal happiness. In short, this it is a very good crash course for one who needs to understand this theory rapidly, and a good starter for those who would like to know more about it.
on January 8, 2013
In the succinct summary of 'Thinking, Fast and Slow' Daniel Kahneman provides an analysis of human thinking with the objective to reduce, reassess and remove errors. Nobel Prize winning author explains the concept of thinking comprehensively as two types of systems - fast intuitive thinking and slow, deliberate thinking. The two systems are interrelated and system 2 thinking leads to more rational decisions unlike system 1 thinking which tends to be more intuitive. To avoid bias, system 2 thinking needs to be shaken out of cognitive ease. To arrive at rational decisions cognitive strain is required in analyzing relevant data. The summary explains how System 1 is inept at evaluating statistical facts.

The pain of letting things go or the endowment effect; the impact of overconfidence on predictions; the decisions involving risk - each of these can be understood by reading Kahneman's detailed research work. Practical and enlightening insights about the flaws of intuitive thinking help us better understand how slow rational thinking can reap much better results. Rightfully selected as one of the best books of 2011, its thoroughly referenced summary offers a bird's eye view of the book's salient chapters. Kahneman developed U-index to measure well-being of a person, this chapter is an interesting read and an innovative concept by the author. Readers will find several helpful suggestions like Kahneman's analysis that by simply slowing down and engaging system 2 while making decisions one is more likely to make more accurate decisions. The summary is conveniently divided into five parts, each of which is divided into comprehensive chapters with a synopsis at the end. A tour de force the author's detailed analysis of human reasoning is a must read.
on May 30, 2013
The original book is 500 pages long. For a studious reader that represents close to 20 hours of reading. In today's time constrained world that is a huge time opportunity cost to commit to the acquisition of knowledge on a single topic that may not be professionally that relevant to the reader. Additionally, how much will a given reader remember of those 20 hours of reading just 6 months down the road? or how about 2 years later? This seems like a huge investment of time with a disappearing return. How about if a really intelligent reader could summarize the book for you and narrating it to you in less than an hour and you could recall this digestible knowledge any time you needed. If you think that is a good deal that is exactly what this "30 minute Expert Summary" is.

I confess I have not read the original book. But, I have been very familiar with many of Kahneman's social experiments. I have read and studied numerous works on behavioral economics. Many of my colleagues had read the book and they gave me numerous excellent "verbals" about it. Additionally, before reading this "Expert Summary" I read a Wikipedia article on the original book. I also read several lengthy excellent Amazon reviews on the original book. And, I also read a pretty outstanding (very lengthy 11,000 words) summary by a blogger who summarizes such books. Given this foundational reading, I felt like I had a pretty good sense of the coverage of the original book.

In view of the above, I feel like the "Expert Summary" did an excellent job of capturing the main themes of Kahneman's original book. And, it was a competitive if not a better source of synthesized information than any of the other mentioned alternatives I had explored. For one thing, it is a bit longer than it sounds. It took me about 50 minutes to read (not the 30 minutes as the title of this series of mini-books entails).

Other reviewers accused this mini-book of being superficial. One reviewer in particular gave the book a very low rating because this mini-book did not mention the WYSIATI concept (which stands for What You See Is All There Is). Those criticisms are misplaced. First, an essay of about 7,000 words (my guess at the length of this mini-book) can't compare with a tome of about 125,000 words (my guess at the length of the original). That's just reality. Additionally, this mini-book even though it did not mention the acronym WYSIATI, it actually covered extensively its many implications including overconfidence, misinterpreting small sample of observations, failing to apply statistics (Bayesian statistics) and jumping to false conclusion, substituting hard questions with easy ones, other errors in quick estimations, etc...

I conclude this book summary delivered on its objective of providing you a good grasp of "Thinking Fast and Slow" in a minimum amount of time. Given our time constrained world, and our hyperactive need to keep up with information, ideas, and new developments this "Expert Summary" series is onto something. Unfortunately, so far they have published very few book summaries. I hope they expand their releases of such summaries quickly as there is a dire need for them.
on January 9, 2013
Thinking, Fast and Slow...in 30 minutes is an exceptional synopsis of the full length title. While Thinking, Fast and Slow is an excellent guide to demystifying the decision making process, this Expert Summary provides all the relevant details of the full investigation.

Nobel Prize winning author Daniel Kahneman explains the two systems of thought and when each system is most reliable. Our thinking is either fast or slow. Fast thinking is automatic and intuitive while slow thinking is more analytical. The book focuses on fast thinking and how it interacts with our more intentional thoughts. For instance, making an accurate prediction in the face of uncertainty requires a combination of intuitive and analytical thinking. Relying on fast thinking alone leads to predictions based on stereotypes instead of logic. Furthermore, people often rely on intuition and previous experience to make decisions about future events when slow thinking could lead to a more favorable outcome.

The two systems of thought are aptly applied to how we make choices. Whether spending money or serving on a jury, people often allow emotions to prevail in cases where logic should reign. Kahneman also discusses how people hate losing and will take illogical risks to avoid the emotional pain of loss.

This Expert Summary is an exceptional choice for the busy reader who wants to understand human nature within a limited amount of time. Thinking, Fast and Slow...in 30 minutes provides a precise overview of how people think.
on February 6, 2013
This is a story of the way we think. According to Kahneman, there are two distinct ways of thinking, which he neatly sums up as system one and system two. System one for example, tells you that you want Reese's Pieces or a Twix bar. System two would decide whether you get the candy, how many calories are in it, how much you should eat and how soon to stop eating. Inherent in system one are biases and quick answers. System two has to sort through much of what System one recommends, but System two can be lazy sometimes or tired and therefore goes with the initial or easiest answer that agrees with our personal preference or belief.

Kahneman proposes we do more System two thinking, more rational thinking, which is less influenced by biased or short-minded quick answers. More System two would change the way we relate facts--less based on unrelated and seemingly disconnected things, as well as personal anecdotes, and more on facts and statistics. Kahneman also dissects decisions made by experts, claiming that experts predict or use past experience to anticipate can be done with a simple algorithm. Think about how you think and purchase today.
on January 9, 2013
If you thought you knew how to make good decisions, think again! This book provides a fascinating insight into how we make decisions - both quickly out of a sense of intuition and more slowly and deliberately. Kahneman explores how we may think we have made a rational decision when we really have not done the needed deliberate analysis. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to start making better decisions in their lives.

I felt engaged the moment I began to read about our everyday perceptions of reality, automatic associations ("anchors") and the science behind jumping to conclusions, which has roots in evolutionary survival. Turns out that it is easier to consult one's emotions, fears and likes instead of true evidence or facts. Kahneman tells us why (don't worry, it's human nature) in an easy-to-understand concise manner. Readers may recognize a bit too many of their own bad decision-making habits in here, but that may be for the best, as Kahneman gives us the tools to actually make better decisions going forward.

My favorite line: "Happiness is complicated." This book makes it easier.
on January 8, 2013
Why do we buy lottery tickets, even though we know our chances of winning anything are slim to none? Why are we sometimes convinced that air travel is more dangerous than ground transportation, though there is no evidence for this claim? This summary of Thinking, Fast and Slow offers a quick, precise explanation of why these illogical decisions and thoughts continue to dominate the lives of people everywhere. It also insists that this kind of intuitive, impulsive decision-making can be curbed and rewired, offering a solution to bad habits and poor decision-making.

I found this to be a particularly illuminating read, one that not only explores the concept of automatic, hasty System 1 and slow, resourceful System 2 thinking, but also demonstrates the unpredictability of life as a whole, which necessitates the conscious employment of a slower style of thinking. It is concise and clear, defining and explaining concepts that we have often heard in day-to-day life--such as the availability heuristic, or hindsight bias--but didn't necessarily understand or incorporate into our own internal logic. It's well worth the read to better understand the workings of the human mind!
on January 19, 2013
Most of us believe we make our choices rationally. We think we solve problems by researching the most relevant information and considering all our options fairly.

Daniel Kahneman counters this idea with this fascinating read. The author divides our minds into two parts: System 1 and System 2. System 1 is our instinct, our gut reaction to problems; System 2 is the actual thinking part of our mind, the one that is critical of information and considers idea fully. While you may believe you mostly use System 2 when making decisions, we much more frequently use System 1 because System 2 is "lazy", meaning that it will only be used when it is forced. The problem with using System 1 as much as we do is that it doesn't tend to make good decisions because it thinks in an error-prone way.

The expert summary was accessible and quickly conveyed the core ideas of the book, so I didn't have to spend much time trying to understand it.

What really made this book for me was how useful the ideas in it are. The author discusses application of these concepts to the business world, future prediction, public policy, and personal enrichment.