Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Thinking Mathematically, Fifth Edition
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports STEM

Showing 1-10 of 144 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on December 16, 2010
can't work math. It scares me to death. I was one of the unfortunate people who, as a child, was taught math using the "New Moden Math Concept". Subsequently, like most who had the misfortune of suffering the course of instruction, the basics were sort of skipped over while we all learned "Base 108", "Base Pi" Base Chevrolet", and all the other crud we'd never use in the real world. As a result I am, therefore, mathematically illiterate.

I have needed one (1) course to complete my degree. I have been avoiding this course for years. Yep, it's basic college mathematics. The thought of math makes me sweat, nauseous, and causes massive amounts of burning stomach acid. I decided to take the plunge and signed up for a distant learning math class. The course required Dr. Robert Blitzers book, "Thinking Mathematically - 5th Edition".

I am now on chapter 4 and am learning math! I have put away the bottles of Malox and the sweat bands. I actually understand what I am reading. This book is great! My first homework assignments have been graded far better than I had ever hoped for. It is working for me. (At least the first 4 chapters anyway)

Dr. Blitzers' book utilizes every day situations as related to math. This makes it easier to understand for the non-math major. The book is loaded with examples and work problems the answers to which, are in the back of the book. You cannot just use the answers, you will have to work for them in order to learn. However, having the answers accessible makes it easy to review and find where you have errored (if at all).

Although the book is pricey, it is well worth the money. The book is absolutley loaded with information, is large, and is over 1,000 pages in length. It is well written and if I can understand it, anyone can. (Sometimes I have to reread the info before it sinks in...but it does!) I would suggest this book for anyone who wants to refresh their math skills not just students taking a college level math course.

Don't get me wrong, I am still having to work twice as hard as the person who has a working grasp of math, but I am finally learning the math concepts I should have 40 years ago. I thank Dr. Robert Blitzer and his book "Thinking Mathematically" for putting me at ease while I am doing so.
11 comment| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2005
As an upper level high school mathematics teacher, I have to say that Blitzer's text "Thinking Mathematically" is truly an outstanding book! - for both the student and the teacher. He explains concepts in an extraordinarly thorough and direct way, with a lot of great worked out examples and terrific exercise sets that increase student knowledge and insight regarding the concepts and computations. Having used both this book and Blitzer's other PreCalculus text, I can honestly say that his books for the secondary market put most of the other books out there to shame - there's really just no comparison. If you're a student who really wants to learn math, or a teacher who appreciates great support materials, then you really do have to get this text, as well as Blitzer's other texts, such as "PreCalculus". You won't find a better book out there regarding secondary/college prep math and it's teaching/ applications.
on November 17, 2010
This is truly the best math textbook I can ever remember using. I just finished taking a college math course while working to obtain additional teaching certificates (job security!). I took the course online and taught myself EVERYTHING I needed to know just from using this text. Concepts that I learned before were easy to recall. New information was clearly presented with important points and objectives located in the margins of the text. Plenty of examples were provided, along with TONS of practice problems. I cannot say enough about how enjoyable it was to use this textbook!! If only I had this in high school, I would have gotten better grades in math class!
on July 1, 2006
I enjoyed this book, especially since I had a non-fluent English speaking professor we all looked into our books and read the complete, easy, and understanding chapters. this is one of the best math books I have ever had in my education experience.
on December 10, 2009
I am very happy with this book, it just breaks down the material where it can be understand and actually fun to learn. I am not a big math person, or majoring in a math major, but I could get use to learning from books like this. The author did a great job creating this book.
on March 8, 2014
This book has most of the basic math that a brand new college student should know or will be reviewing throughout college. It is a good reference book to fill gaps in math or to review topics at testing time. It has extra practice problems for nearly everything from Set Theory to Statistics plus technology to learn how to use the calculator.
on September 10, 2015
If you are required to have the textbook, you absolutely have to get the workbook. It breaks down each subject and provides numerous practice problems. The problems are worked out in step by step instruction to help you understand what you are doing. I simply could not have done as well in my class without this book. It is worth every penny you spend on it. The text book itself is fairly easy to understand and has lots of examples. I bought the bundle.
on September 20, 2013
I was required to purchase this book for my math class. I scored it for way less here than I would have had to shell out at the campus book store, saving myself lots of money. Just considering the purchase of this text has made me a math whiz!

I think the cow has some sort of *Arithmagic*(tm), because I'm acing that class like it's basket weaving! Seriously, two tests, two high A's! Heck yeah!! <jumps in the air, arms over my head, freeze frame>

The book has clear instructions that are easy to understand, and lots of practice problems. As seems to be standard for math texts, the answers to the odd problems are given in the back of the book. A very good book with interesting mathematical concepts unlike your standard algebra book.
on June 3, 2012
How strange...over 140 credits to my name, and I've never actually found myself reading ANY of my textbooks ...for fun. This book is worth reading, regardless of the math course I'm taking. The author is funny (sarcastic, even) and makes math in the every day world extremely interesting. It's not a math book, it's just a good book. I would and am reading it just for a level of personal interest. This one will stay on my shelves.
on February 14, 2015
Very easy to understand and learn from. I needed this book for a college class, and while my college has this available to rent I thought it might be nice to own my own copy. It's only been one month of class but I am very glad I bought my own copy instead of renting. I haven't written in it but I can tell the content of this book will continue to be useful for me through-out my college math courses. It's basically an extremely good recap of everything I had for high school math. Sets, Reasoning, Logic, Algebra, and Statistics are covered in this book, to name a few. It is well written and is not boring, which is surprising for a text book. The text and lessons covered are easy to follow and broken down and explained.