Industrial Deals Beauty Silent Corner STEM PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClub17_gno nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,888 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,188 reviews
on April 6, 2017
This was a reread for me and I'm so glad I dived back in it. I first fell in love with this story in high school. For the longest time it was the only representation I had for mental illness, I connected with a dead girl because she had so many emotions I also shared sometimes to my own fright. Hannah's story is tragic and heartbreaking. The ending always shook me because she wasn't coming back, you had such a strong narrator for these tragedies but she wasn't going to get up and say ha! It's all a joke. She was gone, and that is one of the reasons I always came back to this book. I needed to know she was gone, that is the outcome of suicide that I didn't want to see at 17, your story is finished. Now as an adult reading it, it's still heartbreaking and terribly tragic and I still connect so strongly to this story. I loved this book and will always love this book. I read more into it now than what I did then. Clay was the perfect perspective to put it in because I can't think good things about any of the other characters, as hard as the tv show wants you too. The tv show has recently released on Netflix and they've changed so much from the original book and part of me wonders is if it's to make it make more sense. The thing is, suicide doesn't make sense. That tragic act doesn't have to make sense. It's sad and scary, and we will ever understand even with 13 separate and valid reasons, it still doesn't make sense. One this book did such a good job of showing is how small things, things we think inconsequential, can be detrimental to someone else. Something as simple as not saying goodbye given the opportunity, can change how someone feels. Now does this mean we have to walk on egg shells? No, that actually impossible. It means watch what your doing basically. If your having a bad day it isn't okay to take it out on someone else, we can control the small things so the big things won't spiral. This book will always hold a special place in my heart, and I'm sure once the shock of the show wears off it will too. I needed to reread this book, it's good to remember what we do and who we are matters. Even when you think you don't matter and no one would care, you do matter. You matter so much! ❤️
22 comments| 250 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2017
I don't know what I can say about this book that hasn't already been said. I read it after watching the Netflix series, and while there are definitely differences between the two, the combination left me reeling. It is deeply moving, poignant, and yet one of the most hopeful books I've ever read.

The story revolves around Clay, who finds a box of cassette tapes waiting on his doorstep one day. As he listens to them, he is drawn into the story of Hannah, his crush that committed suicide just a couple weeks earlier. The tapes share the thirteen reasons why she made the choice that she did, one for each person that contributed to that decision.

On the surface, it sounds like a horrifying premise for a read. It is a tough read at times, but no less important. Her point of creating the tapes, to be passed to each person on them, was not to be cruel. It was to make a point... the point that how we act toward one another, whether deliberate or not, makes a difference. Any one of those acts can be small in and of itself, but they can add up to push a person over the edge.

Having seen the series and read the book, I have to say something I never thought I would. As much as I loved the book, I felt that the series really showed Hannah's angst just a bit more clearly. Admittedly, some of that was accomplished through changes in the plot and some details. Ideally, I would suggest indulging in both.
on May 29, 2017
I'm not sure if this should be a teen book or not. I don't want to put ideas into young minds or glorify suicide in any way, considering my brother chose this route at 30 years old. He was my very best friend and it continues to devastate me every day 15 years later. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
On the other hand, we do need to open this discussion to teens, but I just don't feel that the impact of this young girls suicide was portrayed as the immensely life ruining action for her friends and family that it should have been. Again, I'm just not sure this is the right book to impact the topic to teens as the devastating event that it is for all concerned. That being said, as a 43 year old adult who looks back on the days of high school and rumors and their impact on young people, I found the book to be representative of that deep hurt and troubling period for so many young people. This is a good read and a very page-turning, gotta know more, type of book. I would normally say "I enjoyed this book" but given the subject matter, I can't say I "enjoyed" it but I was drawn in deeply to the characters and the story and read it in one day (if you don't count reading half one day and half the next - it was really just one day of reading.) I thought the characters were well created, the book kept a great building pace, and the subject matter was impactful. FOR ADULTS (or well grounded, mature, and rooted teens) this was a very good read.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon May 7, 2017
"Thirteen Reasons Why" is a novel that examines teen angst, bullying, suicide, and relationships, in the context of a story about a conflicted high school girl who chose to end her life, rather than continue confronting classmates whom she perceived to be her tormentors. This book very effectively emphasizes the critical importance of parental vigilance and empathy, with regard to the tremendous peer pressure and anxiety experienced by many teenage children, which, in the extreme, can lead to tragedy. It is such a valuable contribution to teenage literature because it reminds its readers of the overarching importance of maintaining open lines of communication between teenagers, their parents, their teachers, and their friends and classmates. It also highlights the fundamental relationship principle that an individual should treat everyone whom they encounter with the same respect and dignity that they would expect to experience in their interpersonal interactions. "Thirteen Reasons Why" is an excellent novel, which is relevant for readers of all ages, and which merits a five-star rating, along with a strong recommendation.
on June 17, 2017
I couldn't finish this book. I read a lot of YA fiction, and I work with teenagers (as well as having one at home), so I'm not completely divorced from the age range and experience portrayed in the book. I just couldn't empathize deeply with the girl character since she seemed to lack agency in dealing with her problems, and I wasn't interested in any of the characters. I won't recommend this book or its following TV show to others either - too much glorification of suicide.

If you want a book that really helps shed a light on depression, anxiety and self-harm while still being screamingly funny, read Jenny Lawson's "Furiously Happy." A better YA novel about teenagers and mental health issues is "Believarexic" by J.J. Johnson.

What I want people to know is that DEPRESSION LIES - it tells you there's no hope, that you're better off dead, and that others will be better off without you. None of that is true! If you're struggling, that means you haven't given up! Keep struggling - rage against it - don't let yourself go out like that. National Suicide Prevention Hotline - 1-800-273-8255.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon May 4, 2017
on May 18, 2017
OMG..this book had my emotions going wild and all over the place. i dont see how anyone can say this book glorify suicide. what i saw, what i read in this book was the story of a young girl who was hurting. She was broken and thought she was alone. after being bullied, lied to and betrayed by people she once trusted she though everyone would do the same to her. while reading this book i cried, smiled and even screamed a little. its def a most read!❤💔
on June 15, 2017
I read this book because the students I teach were reading it and watching it on NetFlix. I also saw where a school pulled it from the library, so I was curious about the content. I understand the concern about fragile teenagers reading the book; however, the book does a great job of showing how vindictive, pathetic, and selfish the main character is and how she really wants to hurt everyone who ever crossed her path. So , I don't think it glorifies suicide-hopefully, it discourages it.
on May 5, 2017
I have worked as a social worker with depressed teenagers for17 years and this book truly captures their emotions and how they internalize everything. What adults see as no big deal teenagers see as the end of the world. Kids are mean. This story needs to be discussed thoroughly if a teenager is reading it. To explain that suicide is not the answer and that by opening up and telling people what you are going through you might actually have a person who will love you and care. Not everyone will but there may be that one person. Excellent but sad story that so many teens have as reality.
on May 8, 2017
I did not hear about this novel until after I say the trailer on Netflix. During me viewing the trailer I noticed it derived from a book and we all know the book 95% of the time has more details than a series or movie. However, this was different. The story was very detailed paying close attention (in my opinion) to three characters. As for the series on Netflix, it focused more on the effects of everyone while still paying attention to those three characters. I would definitely recommend reading Thirteen Reasons Why even if the series was already viewed.