Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,495 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,696 reviews
on April 6, 2017
This was a reread for me and I'm so glad I dived back in it. I first fell in love with this story in high school. For the longest time it was the only representation I had for mental illness, I connected with a dead girl because she had so many emotions I also shared sometimes to my own fright. Hannah's story is tragic and heartbreaking. The ending always shook me because she wasn't coming back, you had such a strong narrator for these tragedies but she wasn't going to get up and say ha! It's all a joke. She was gone, and that is one of the reasons I always came back to this book. I needed to know she was gone, that is the outcome of suicide that I didn't want to see at 17, your story is finished. Now as an adult reading it, it's still heartbreaking and terribly tragic and I still connect so strongly to this story. I loved this book and will always love this book. I read more into it now than what I did then. Clay was the perfect perspective to put it in because I can't think good things about any of the other characters, as hard as the tv show wants you too. The tv show has recently released on Netflix and they've changed so much from the original book and part of me wonders is if it's to make it make more sense. The thing is, suicide doesn't make sense. That tragic act doesn't have to make sense. It's sad and scary, and we will ever understand even with 13 separate and valid reasons, it still doesn't make sense. One this book did such a good job of showing is how small things, things we think inconsequential, can be detrimental to someone else. Something as simple as not saying goodbye given the opportunity, can change how someone feels. Now does this mean we have to walk on egg shells? No, that actually impossible. It means watch what your doing basically. If your having a bad day it isn't okay to take it out on someone else, we can control the small things so the big things won't spiral. This book will always hold a special place in my heart, and I'm sure once the shock of the show wears off it will too. I needed to reread this book, it's good to remember what we do and who we are matters. Even when you think you don't matter and no one would care, you do matter. You matter so much! ❤️
22 comments| 134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2013
Hannah Baker seems like a typical high school teenager, except she isn’t. Hannah commits suicide before being able to graduate and enter the real world. She has reasons for committing suicide and she is determined to let 12 people know how they affected her decision to take her own life. Clay Jenson is one of the people on her list. He receives the box of cassette tapes one day after school and is told to listen to all of the tapes carefully, and to follow a map he had received week ago, to find out why Hannah chose to take end her life.

Note: There may be a few spoilers in my list, but none of my comments will ruin the book for you.

1. It’s a page turner, to the max. I was laughing at myself while I was reading it because I couldn’t put it down. My husband told me that I need to stop reading so fast, and here I am reading this book like it’ll disappear by the end of the night.
2. I love that even though the book has a mostly serious tone, it still made me laugh from time to time. Hannah likes to put jokes in her tapes to keep the listeners on their toes. They may not find the jokes funny, but I do.
3. I read this book in a time span of 25 hours; stopping to sleep, tutor, clean the house, exercise, and eat.
4. Boys and girls can relate to this book. Who wasn’t bullied in middle school/high school? Even the “cool” kids are harassed. No one is comfortable in their own body at that age, no matter how much they tell you they are.
5. The map that Hannah provides of the town is a really cool idea. Although the journey towards her death is sad, I felt so attached to her character as I traveled with Clay to each place that was important in her story.
6. You can listen to the tapes that Hannah has recorded here, which makes the whole book even creepier. The tapes are not word for word, like in the book, but they are a great addition to the novel, especially if this is a book that a class is reading in school. The tapes can be played the next day after the students have read a chapter the night before.
7. It is a suspense novel. Of course, when the novel begins, or even before you open it, you know that Hannah commits suicide, it tells you this on the back cover, but you don’t know why or how. This is what keeps the pages turning; this is what kept me on the edge of my seat while I was reading it.
8. As I was reading Hannah’s story, even though I knew she was dead, I kept thinking, “Well, maybe she isn’t. Maybe she will be alive in the end.” I had hope for Hannah, I had to have hope or I would have just cried the whole time.
9. Clay is so endearing. I just wanted to tear him from the pages and give him a huge hug. He wanted to help Hannah so bad and he was/is so in love with her. It pains me to think that he is going to have to live with Hannah’s final words in his mind forever.
10. I don’t know about you but when I read, I like to know how many pages I have until the next chapter starts, especially when I start to get tired. Since each chapter had a black, thick line on the first page of the chapter, I could clearly identify while looking on the outside of the book when the next chapter started. This was helpful!
11. The diner in the book is called “Rosie’s Diner.” My name isn’t used very often in books/movies/anywhere really, but I feel special when it is used.
12. I like how this story showed a different side to bullying. Not the typical, “Everyone is mean to me and no one talks to me.” It was more harassment and rumor starting kind of bullying, making Hannah feel uncomfortable and unsafe, wherever she went. People may not consider this bullying, but it is.
13. This is a good book for girls and guys. I am impressed that Jay Asher was able to pick up the voice of a female character as well as he did and make her sound so real and emotional.

This review, plus additional information, is posted in my blog.
on April 7, 2017
As someone who has considered suicide before, this book was extremely touching. I have finished in less than 24 hours. I could not put it down. The way the author wrote how Hannah felt and how she struggled resonated with me on a very deep level. And I gotta say I prefer the published ending better.
on April 23, 2017
What an important book to read. Hit me hard. I have reasons also. Ordered 3 more and sent to my 3 closest loved ones hoping they would get what i have been saying for a year but to no avail. I beg everyone to read this book. You may be able to save a loved one. Noone understood why i ordered them this book. Please read it. Maybe you will help save another Hannah. Deus benedicat...Patches
on April 3, 2017
"When you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re messing with their entire life."

Makes you realize that anything you do and say to someone has an impact in their life. That it may not seem like it but they see it.
Good book!
on April 4, 2017
Blame me for being sappy but I would have loved to see what the next step would have been for the surviving Hannah Baker. Who knows, those who consider suicide might of like a sequel showing them that life can move on after their lowest point.
on March 11, 2017
01. “No one knows for certain how much impact they have on the lives of other people. Oftentimes, we have no clue.”
02. “Did you notice the scars you left behind? Because most of them can't be seen with the naked eye.”
03. “I started rebuilding my guard, brick by brick.”
04. “This time, for the first time, I saw the possibilities in giving up. I even found hope in it.”
05. “I wanted them to know me. Not the stuff they thought they knew about me.”
06. “Will my life ever go where I want it to?”
07. “But now, I hope you understand. My world was crashing. I needed those... I needed any hope those... might have offered.”
08. “I wasn't worth an explanation - not even a reaction.”
09. “You can't decide to turn off the noise in your head.”
10. “My grades were slipping pretty fast.”
11. “My mind was set... on floating through school. On never being close to anyone.”
12. “How many times have I let myself connect with someone only to have it thrown back in my face?”
13. “I feel lost... Just empty. Just nothing. I don't care anymore.”
review image
on October 8, 2013
The concept of this book is very unique and unlike any other book I have read. Hannah Baker is a high school student struggling to cope with life and end up commiting suicide. Before she does however, she tape records her story and her 13 reasons (other people at school) as to why she committed suicide. The tapes are being sent from person to person on the list. As you read this book, it's Clay Jenson's turn to listen to the tapes. Clay's reactions to hearing the tapes are heartfelt, and he seems like a very likable guy.

This book came recommended to me, with a lot of hype as to how great it was. With that in mind, I guess I expected something more from Hannah's tapes. This is not a bad book, don't get me wrong. I just felt it didn't live up to the expectations that came along with it. You know like with a movie where everybody talks about how great it was, and you finally see the movie, and it was good, but not THAT good? That's kind of what happened with this book. I did enjoy the book. I have read a fair amount of young adults book (as a mother in her mid forties), and this book made me feel like I was reading a young adult book. It made me feel like I shouldn't be reading it. Like I was reading a young girls diary, that was very private, and I had no business reading. Maybe that's a sign of a good author, to make me feel like the book was that up close and personal? But I did come away thinking that this book was generally for a younger generation than my own. And thinking back it was a younger generation that recommended the book so highly. So maybe age has something to do with the liking of the book? Just a thought.

The book was written as a double narrative, which I did find confusing at times. That took some getting used to.
on April 7, 2017
Everyone needs to read this book, especially teachers and parents of teens. One small act of kindness or of disingenuousness can create a butterfly effect from a kiss to a tsunami and ruin people forever. Powerful read.
on February 9, 2013
The premise and some of the plot points/events in this book are difficult to take seriously. None of the characters are particularly likeable with the exception of the narrator (Clay) who is too "good" to be realistic. Further, some reviewers have pointed out the other narrator (Hannah) was not necessarily supposed to be likeable. I found her unsympathetic, but if she is supposed to be unlikeable, then this really begs the question as to why good-guy Clay likes her so much. The dialogue is out of sync with the way teens really think and speak, and the parents of most of these teens are unrealistically permissive. These are some of the problems.

In terms of what the book has going for it? It's creative. It's unique. I like the alternating narratives - this can be tricky, but the author handled it elegantly. I can tell certain portions of the book were based on author experiences (in a good way).

If this book appeals to you, then go for it. It is readable. In fact, if you like young adult literature, you may like this one very well. For my part, I'd hardly call it a must-read. I didn't find it as deep or moving as many other readers apparently did. More after-school special than anything else.