Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning Moonlight Moonlight Moonlight  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,716 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,965 reviews
on April 6, 2017
This was a reread for me and I'm so glad I dived back in it. I first fell in love with this story in high school. For the longest time it was the only representation I had for mental illness, I connected with a dead girl because she had so many emotions I also shared sometimes to my own fright. Hannah's story is tragic and heartbreaking. The ending always shook me because she wasn't coming back, you had such a strong narrator for these tragedies but she wasn't going to get up and say ha! It's all a joke. She was gone, and that is one of the reasons I always came back to this book. I needed to know she was gone, that is the outcome of suicide that I didn't want to see at 17, your story is finished. Now as an adult reading it, it's still heartbreaking and terribly tragic and I still connect so strongly to this story. I loved this book and will always love this book. I read more into it now than what I did then. Clay was the perfect perspective to put it in because I can't think good things about any of the other characters, as hard as the tv show wants you too. The tv show has recently released on Netflix and they've changed so much from the original book and part of me wonders is if it's to make it make more sense. The thing is, suicide doesn't make sense. That tragic act doesn't have to make sense. It's sad and scary, and we will ever understand even with 13 separate and valid reasons, it still doesn't make sense. One this book did such a good job of showing is how small things, things we think inconsequential, can be detrimental to someone else. Something as simple as not saying goodbye given the opportunity, can change how someone feels. Now does this mean we have to walk on egg shells? No, that actually impossible. It means watch what your doing basically. If your having a bad day it isn't okay to take it out on someone else, we can control the small things so the big things won't spiral. This book will always hold a special place in my heart, and I'm sure once the shock of the show wears off it will too. I needed to reread this book, it's good to remember what we do and who we are matters. Even when you think you don't matter and no one would care, you do matter. You matter so much! ❤️
22 comments| 208 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2017
I don't know what I can say about this book that hasn't already been said. I read it after watching the Netflix series, and while there are definitely differences between the two, the combination left me reeling. It is deeply moving, poignant, and yet one of the most hopeful books I've ever read.

The story revolves around Clay, who finds a box of cassette tapes waiting on his doorstep one day. As he listens to them, he is drawn into the story of Hannah, his crush that committed suicide just a couple weeks earlier. The tapes share the thirteen reasons why she made the choice that she did, one for each person that contributed to that decision.

On the surface, it sounds like a horrifying premise for a read. It is a tough read at times, but no less important. Her point of creating the tapes, to be passed to each person on them, was not to be cruel. It was to make a point... the point that how we act toward one another, whether deliberate or not, makes a difference. Any one of those acts can be small in and of itself, but they can add up to push a person over the edge.

Having seen the series and read the book, I have to say something I never thought I would. As much as I loved the book, I felt that the series really showed Hannah's angst just a bit more clearly. Admittedly, some of that was accomplished through changes in the plot and some details. Ideally, I would suggest indulging in both.
on May 9, 2017
Suicide is serious. If you hear someone talk about ending his or her life, you need to take it seriously.

This book provides insights for all readers that set the stage to have a meaningful discussion.

Your words and actions affect others. You get to choose how. Choose kindness.
on May 5, 2017
I have worked as a social worker with depressed teenagers for17 years and this book truly captures their emotions and how they internalize everything. What adults see as no big deal teenagers see as the end of the world. Kids are mean. This story needs to be discussed thoroughly if a teenager is reading it. To explain that suicide is not the answer and that by opening up and telling people what you are going through you might actually have a person who will love you and care. Not everyone will but there may be that one person. Excellent but sad story that so many teens have as reality.
One of the saddest things in life is when a child is pushed to feel there is no other way to go on than suicide.
Bullying in our schools is increasing now with the use of social media to harass, threaten and humiliate.
It is tragic to know that what is found inside this well written book and TV series is a reality.

I believe that everyone has a right to be heard and that taboo subjects such as suicide, rape and others that some don't wish to speak about need to be put out there or else as a society we will remain blind to what actually does happen around us.

To the writer of this book, thank you for making this tragic subject come to life with a girl that can be absolutely related to and her pain can be felt in her words.

I'd recommend this book to others and have myself found it to be haunting, as the words have stayed with me. I was bullied in school and this book, is something I can relate to.
on May 15, 2017
I bought this book after I had watched the Netflix series and I did enjoy the book. I feel that this is one of those rare occasions where the show is better. I would recommend this book to anyone but would be careful with younger children. It is not as graphic and disturbing as the show but still has some pretty heavy themes. I did like it and only wish I wouldve read the book first.
on May 18, 2017
OMG..this book had my emotions going wild and all over the place. i dont see how anyone can say this book glorify suicide. what i saw, what i read in this book was the story of a young girl who was hurting. She was broken and thought she was alone. after being bullied, lied to and betrayed by people she once trusted she though everyone would do the same to her. while reading this book i cried, smiled and even screamed a little. its def a most read!❤💔
on May 24, 2017
I read a lot of books and I write a lot of reviews, but out of everything I've ever written, this book is the one that spoke to me the most. I finished this book a week or two ago, and it's still on my mind. It was hard to put down, and I lost sleep over this and am still trying to process. I'm sure most of you have heard about this book by now. It's heartbreaking but so good and so worth the time. No one knows what could be going on in someone else's life, and the things you say and do really can have an impact on others. Don't believe all rumors you hear, as that is why they are called rumors. Please remember that and remember that sometimes you may be the person that could make a difference in someone's life. Be a good listener, be a good friend, and treat others how you would like to be treated!
on May 23, 2017
I read the book after watching the show on cable. I loved both. Of course the series had changed many things from the book which brought it alive. That being said, I found the book clear and easy to follow. It is well written for teens to understand, simple yet complicated because of the subject. I've heard that some circles feel it promotes suicide. I disagree. I found it to promote watching more closely for those not strong enough to reach out for themselves. Would be great if it helps to prevent more teen suicides.
on May 13, 2017
I got this book to preview it because I figured my pre-teen and teenage daughters would find it. I really have mixed feelings. The message of watching what you say or do because it could unintentionally hurt someone is a good one. But the tapes seem like revenge more than cautionary. More like "I'll get you for what you did to me", rather than "did you think about what you were doing?" My daughter ended up watching the series, so I was glad I had read the book.