Truck Reviews HPC Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Thirteen Reasons Why
Format: Paperback|Change

This was a reread for me and I'm so glad I dived back in it. I first fell in love with this story in high school. For the longest time it was the only representation I had for mental illness, I connected with a dead girl because she had so many emotions I also shared sometimes to my own fright. Hannah's story is tragic and heartbreaking. The ending always shook me because she wasn't coming back, you had such a strong narrator for these tragedies but she wasn't going to get up and say ha! It's all a joke. She was gone, and that is one of the reasons I always came back to this book. I needed to know she was gone, that is the outcome of suicide that I didn't want to see at 17, your story is finished. Now as an adult reading it, it's still heartbreaking and terribly tragic and I still connect so strongly to this story. I loved this book and will always love this book. I read more into it now than what I did then. Clay was the perfect perspective to put it in because I can't think good things about any of the other characters, as hard as the tv show wants you too. The tv show has recently released on Netflix and they've changed so much from the original book and part of me wonders is if it's to make it make more sense. The thing is, suicide doesn't make sense. That tragic act doesn't have to make sense. It's sad and scary, and we will ever understand even with 13 separate and valid reasons, it still doesn't make sense. One this book did such a good job of showing is how small things, things we think inconsequential, can be detrimental to someone else. Something as simple as not saying goodbye given the opportunity, can change how someone feels. Now does this mean we have to walk on egg shells? No, that actually impossible. It means watch what your doing basically. If your having a bad day it isn't okay to take it out on someone else, we can control the small things so the big things won't spiral. This book will always hold a special place in my heart, and I'm sure once the shock of the show wears off it will too. I needed to reread this book, it's good to remember what we do and who we are matters. Even when you think you don't matter and no one would care, you do matter. You matter so much! ❤️
304 people found this helpful
|44 comments|Report abuse
on May 2, 2017
I don't know what I can say about this book that hasn't already been said. I read it after watching the Netflix series, and while there are definitely differences between the two, the combination left me reeling. It is deeply moving, poignant, and yet one of the most hopeful books I've ever read.

The story revolves around Clay, who finds a box of cassette tapes waiting on his doorstep one day. As he listens to them, he is drawn into the story of Hannah, his crush that committed suicide just a couple weeks earlier. The tapes share the thirteen reasons why she made the choice that she did, one for each person that contributed to that decision.

On the surface, it sounds like a horrifying premise for a read. It is a tough read at times, but no less important. Her point of creating the tapes, to be passed to each person on them, was not to be cruel. It was to make a point... the point that how we act toward one another, whether deliberate or not, makes a difference. Any one of those acts can be small in and of itself, but they can add up to push a person over the edge.

Having seen the series and read the book, I have to say something I never thought I would. As much as I loved the book, I felt that the series really showed Hannah's angst just a bit more clearly. Admittedly, some of that was accomplished through changes in the plot and some details. Ideally, I would suggest indulging in both.
101 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
I'm not sure if this should be a teen book or not. I don't want to put ideas into young minds or glorify suicide in any way, considering my brother chose this route at 30 years old. He was my very best friend and it continues to devastate me every day 15 years later. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
On the other hand, we do need to open this discussion to teens, but I just don't feel that the impact of this young girls suicide was portrayed as the immensely life ruining action for her friends and family that it should have been. Again, I'm just not sure this is the right book to impact the topic to teens as the devastating event that it is for all concerned. That being said, as a 43 year old adult who looks back on the days of high school and rumors and their impact on young people, I found the book to be representative of that deep hurt and troubling period for so many young people. This is a good read and a very page-turning, gotta know more, type of book. I would normally say "I enjoyed this book" but given the subject matter, I can't say I "enjoyed" it but I was drawn in deeply to the characters and the story and read it in one day (if you don't count reading half one day and half the next - it was really just one day of reading.) I thought the characters were well created, the book kept a great building pace, and the subject matter was impactful. FOR ADULTS (or well grounded, mature, and rooted teens) this was a very good read.
25 people found this helpful
on April 16, 2017
Great book. Netflix series is great, but book is better. You'll want to finish this in one sitting.
12 people found this helpful
on May 7, 2017
"Thirteen Reasons Why" is a novel that examines teen angst, bullying, suicide, and relationships, in the context of a story about a conflicted high school girl who chose to end her life, rather than continue confronting classmates whom she perceived to be her tormentors. This book very effectively emphasizes the critical importance of parental vigilance and empathy, with regard to the tremendous peer pressure and anxiety experienced by many teenage children, which, in the extreme, can lead to tragedy. It is such a valuable contribution to teenage literature because it reminds its readers of the overarching importance of maintaining open lines of communication between teenagers, their parents, their teachers, and their friends and classmates. It also highlights the fundamental relationship principle that an individual should treat everyone whom they encounter with the same respect and dignity that they would expect to experience in their interpersonal interactions. "Thirteen Reasons Why" is an excellent novel, which is relevant for readers of all ages, and which merits a five-star rating, along with a strong recommendation.
5 people found this helpful
on November 6, 2017
The story, although told from the perspective of Clay, is a story of Hannah – a teenage girl who committed suicide. In 13 tapes she unrevealed 13 reasons why she decided to kill herself. Each tape is meant for a different person who contributed to Hannah’s death, and Clay is one of them.

In order to like this book, one needs to get over the selfishness a of Hannah and the way she over-reacts, and find some empathy for the character. It took some effort on my end, because while reading it I caught myself thinking multiple times that a lot of people go through the things Hannah was exposed to (or much worse) and do not end up killing themselves. I had to constantly remind myself that not everyone is resilient and strong enough to cope with the daily challenges, and that suicide in fact is a quite selfish act. I had to remind myself that rarely people kill themselves “for a reason”, and do it most likely because of the chemical imbalance in their brain.

I was irritated when I found out why Clay ended up to be mentioned on Hannah’s tape, and felt bad for him to go through the stress.

The book addresses sexism and bullying, and shows how rumour and hearsay can affect someone’s life.

Overall I liked this book, however I am not fully sure if I would recommend it for everyone. I would probably suggest it for teenagers, just to demonstrate how badly things can turn as a result of bullying.

I did not LOVE the story, but it made me reflect. I am left with mixed fillings about this book that I am yet to digest.

"You can’t stop the future.
You can’t rewind the past.
The only way to learn the secret . . . is to press play"

After reading "13 Reasons Why" I tried watching the TV show and gave up on episode 3. The book is better (as it usually turns out to be).
3 people found this helpful
on May 4, 2017
3 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on April 24, 2017
You never really know what someone is going through. My heart broke for Clay. I kept wondering why the author decided to tell the story with Clay as one of the narrators, and in the end, I think I understood why. I found this to be a powerful book, but in a subtle way.

I read the 10th anniversary edition which has extras, including the original ending. I'm not sure which ending I prefer. Both endings are satisfactory towards the story, but both somehow leave me wanting more.
12 people found this helpful
on May 6, 2017
I've said it before and I'll say it again, 13 Reasons Why is such an important show and novel for the public to experience. It's powerful and moving; I personally think it should be taught in schools over Romeo and Juliet, or Lord of The Flies. Hannah Baker's story is one that hits close to home in every town, everyone will meet someone in their life that they could have helped, and this book reaffirms that concept. I fell in love with this novel four years ago, and I've been telling everyone I know about it since. This is still my favorite book, and now my favorite show. #13reasonswhy
Watch, and learn. 💕
review image
13 people found this helpful
on May 18, 2017
OMG..this book had my emotions going wild and all over the place. i dont see how anyone can say this book glorify suicide. what i saw, what i read in this book was the story of a young girl who was hurting. She was broken and thought she was alone. after being bullied, lied to and betrayed by people she once trusted she though everyone would do the same to her. while reading this book i cried, smiled and even screamed a little. its def a most read!❤💔
5 people found this helpful