Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,709 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,956 reviews
on April 6, 2017
This was a reread for me and I'm so glad I dived back in it. I first fell in love with this story in high school. For the longest time it was the only representation I had for mental illness, I connected with a dead girl because she had so many emotions I also shared sometimes to my own fright. Hannah's story is tragic and heartbreaking. The ending always shook me because she wasn't coming back, you had such a strong narrator for these tragedies but she wasn't going to get up and say ha! It's all a joke. She was gone, and that is one of the reasons I always came back to this book. I needed to know she was gone, that is the outcome of suicide that I didn't want to see at 17, your story is finished. Now as an adult reading it, it's still heartbreaking and terribly tragic and I still connect so strongly to this story. I loved this book and will always love this book. I read more into it now than what I did then. Clay was the perfect perspective to put it in because I can't think good things about any of the other characters, as hard as the tv show wants you too. The tv show has recently released on Netflix and they've changed so much from the original book and part of me wonders is if it's to make it make more sense. The thing is, suicide doesn't make sense. That tragic act doesn't have to make sense. It's sad and scary, and we will ever understand even with 13 separate and valid reasons, it still doesn't make sense. One this book did such a good job of showing is how small things, things we think inconsequential, can be detrimental to someone else. Something as simple as not saying goodbye given the opportunity, can change how someone feels. Now does this mean we have to walk on egg shells? No, that actually impossible. It means watch what your doing basically. If your having a bad day it isn't okay to take it out on someone else, we can control the small things so the big things won't spiral. This book will always hold a special place in my heart, and I'm sure once the shock of the show wears off it will too. I needed to reread this book, it's good to remember what we do and who we are matters. Even when you think you don't matter and no one would care, you do matter. You matter so much! ❤️
22 comments| 206 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2017
I don't know what I can say about this book that hasn't already been said. I read it after watching the Netflix series, and while there are definitely differences between the two, the combination left me reeling. It is deeply moving, poignant, and yet one of the most hopeful books I've ever read.

The story revolves around Clay, who finds a box of cassette tapes waiting on his doorstep one day. As he listens to them, he is drawn into the story of Hannah, his crush that committed suicide just a couple weeks earlier. The tapes share the thirteen reasons why she made the choice that she did, one for each person that contributed to that decision.

On the surface, it sounds like a horrifying premise for a read. It is a tough read at times, but no less important. Her point of creating the tapes, to be passed to each person on them, was not to be cruel. It was to make a point... the point that how we act toward one another, whether deliberate or not, makes a difference. Any one of those acts can be small in and of itself, but they can add up to push a person over the edge.

Having seen the series and read the book, I have to say something I never thought I would. As much as I loved the book, I felt that the series really showed Hannah's angst just a bit more clearly. Admittedly, some of that was accomplished through changes in the plot and some details. Ideally, I would suggest indulging in both.
on May 9, 2017
Suicide is serious. If you hear someone talk about ending his or her life, you need to take it seriously.

This book provides insights for all readers that set the stage to have a meaningful discussion.

Your words and actions affect others. You get to choose how. Choose kindness.
on May 5, 2017
I have worked as a social worker with depressed teenagers for17 years and this book truly captures their emotions and how they internalize everything. What adults see as no big deal teenagers see as the end of the world. Kids are mean. This story needs to be discussed thoroughly if a teenager is reading it. To explain that suicide is not the answer and that by opening up and telling people what you are going through you might actually have a person who will love you and care. Not everyone will but there may be that one person. Excellent but sad story that so many teens have as reality.
on April 27, 2017
So I decided to read the book after watching the Netflix series, and im not sure which i liked better. The book is a bit different. It is a quick easy read. You really feel for the main characters. The author did a great job capturing the attention of the reader. Definitely a page turner
One of the saddest things in life is when a child is pushed to feel there is no other way to go on than suicide.
Bullying in our schools is increasing now with the use of social media to harass, threaten and humiliate.
It is tragic to know that what is found inside this well written book and TV series is a reality.

I believe that everyone has a right to be heard and that taboo subjects such as suicide, rape and others that some don't wish to speak about need to be put out there or else as a society we will remain blind to what actually does happen around us.

To the writer of this book, thank you for making this tragic subject come to life with a girl that can be absolutely related to and her pain can be felt in her words.

I'd recommend this book to others and have myself found it to be haunting, as the words have stayed with me. I was bullied in school and this book, is something I can relate to.
on May 24, 2017
I read a lot of books and I write a lot of reviews, but out of everything I've ever written, this book is the one that spoke to me the most. I finished this book a week or two ago, and it's still on my mind. It was hard to put down, and I lost sleep over this and am still trying to process. I'm sure most of you have heard about this book by now. It's heartbreaking but so good and so worth the time. No one knows what could be going on in someone else's life, and the things you say and do really can have an impact on others. Don't believe all rumors you hear, as that is why they are called rumors. Please remember that and remember that sometimes you may be the person that could make a difference in someone's life. Be a good listener, be a good friend, and treat others how you would like to be treated!
on May 13, 2017
I got this book to preview it because I figured my pre-teen and teenage daughters would find it. I really have mixed feelings. The message of watching what you say or do because it could unintentionally hurt someone is a good one. But the tapes seem like revenge more than cautionary. More like "I'll get you for what you did to me", rather than "did you think about what you were doing?" My daughter ended up watching the series, so I was glad I had read the book.
on April 28, 2017
Beautiful book. I'm excited to read it!! I bought it because I heard the Netflix serie is good, si let's read the book first! 😊
review image review image
on May 25, 2017
I'm not saying I regret buying this book, but it is so controversial to my Christian beliefs and I was sooooo saddened that she couldn't talk to anyone but her tape recorder. If she would have been as honest with a professional councilor, I would like to think she could have been helped. I will not watch the movie. I can compartmentalize books, but not things I actually see. I'm sure the author just wanted to show another "side" to suicide, and this book certainly made a statement.