Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,953 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,270 reviews
on April 6, 2017
This was a reread for me and I'm so glad I dived back in it. I first fell in love with this story in high school. For the longest time it was the only representation I had for mental illness, I connected with a dead girl because she had so many emotions I also shared sometimes to my own fright. Hannah's story is tragic and heartbreaking. The ending always shook me because she wasn't coming back, you had such a strong narrator for these tragedies but she wasn't going to get up and say ha! It's all a joke. She was gone, and that is one of the reasons I always came back to this book. I needed to know she was gone, that is the outcome of suicide that I didn't want to see at 17, your story is finished. Now as an adult reading it, it's still heartbreaking and terribly tragic and I still connect so strongly to this story. I loved this book and will always love this book. I read more into it now than what I did then. Clay was the perfect perspective to put it in because I can't think good things about any of the other characters, as hard as the tv show wants you too. The tv show has recently released on Netflix and they've changed so much from the original book and part of me wonders is if it's to make it make more sense. The thing is, suicide doesn't make sense. That tragic act doesn't have to make sense. It's sad and scary, and we will ever understand even with 13 separate and valid reasons, it still doesn't make sense. One this book did such a good job of showing is how small things, things we think inconsequential, can be detrimental to someone else. Something as simple as not saying goodbye given the opportunity, can change how someone feels. Now does this mean we have to walk on egg shells? No, that actually impossible. It means watch what your doing basically. If your having a bad day it isn't okay to take it out on someone else, we can control the small things so the big things won't spiral. This book will always hold a special place in my heart, and I'm sure once the shock of the show wears off it will too. I needed to reread this book, it's good to remember what we do and who we are matters. Even when you think you don't matter and no one would care, you do matter. You matter so much! ❤️
22 comments| 257 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2017
I don't know what I can say about this book that hasn't already been said. I read it after watching the Netflix series, and while there are definitely differences between the two, the combination left me reeling. It is deeply moving, poignant, and yet one of the most hopeful books I've ever read.

The story revolves around Clay, who finds a box of cassette tapes waiting on his doorstep one day. As he listens to them, he is drawn into the story of Hannah, his crush that committed suicide just a couple weeks earlier. The tapes share the thirteen reasons why she made the choice that she did, one for each person that contributed to that decision.

On the surface, it sounds like a horrifying premise for a read. It is a tough read at times, but no less important. Her point of creating the tapes, to be passed to each person on them, was not to be cruel. It was to make a point... the point that how we act toward one another, whether deliberate or not, makes a difference. Any one of those acts can be small in and of itself, but they can add up to push a person over the edge.

Having seen the series and read the book, I have to say something I never thought I would. As much as I loved the book, I felt that the series really showed Hannah's angst just a bit more clearly. Admittedly, some of that was accomplished through changes in the plot and some details. Ideally, I would suggest indulging in both.
on May 29, 2017
I'm not sure if this should be a teen book or not. I don't want to put ideas into young minds or glorify suicide in any way, considering my brother chose this route at 30 years old. He was my very best friend and it continues to devastate me every day 15 years later. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
On the other hand, we do need to open this discussion to teens, but I just don't feel that the impact of this young girls suicide was portrayed as the immensely life ruining action for her friends and family that it should have been. Again, I'm just not sure this is the right book to impact the topic to teens as the devastating event that it is for all concerned. That being said, as a 43 year old adult who looks back on the days of high school and rumors and their impact on young people, I found the book to be representative of that deep hurt and troubling period for so many young people. This is a good read and a very page-turning, gotta know more, type of book. I would normally say "I enjoyed this book" but given the subject matter, I can't say I "enjoyed" it but I was drawn in deeply to the characters and the story and read it in one day (if you don't count reading half one day and half the next - it was really just one day of reading.) I thought the characters were well created, the book kept a great building pace, and the subject matter was impactful. FOR ADULTS (or well grounded, mature, and rooted teens) this was a very good read.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon May 7, 2017
"Thirteen Reasons Why" is a novel that examines teen angst, bullying, suicide, and relationships, in the context of a story about a conflicted high school girl who chose to end her life, rather than continue confronting classmates whom she perceived to be her tormentors. This book very effectively emphasizes the critical importance of parental vigilance and empathy, with regard to the tremendous peer pressure and anxiety experienced by many teenage children, which, in the extreme, can lead to tragedy. It is such a valuable contribution to teenage literature because it reminds its readers of the overarching importance of maintaining open lines of communication between teenagers, their parents, their teachers, and their friends and classmates. It also highlights the fundamental relationship principle that an individual should treat everyone whom they encounter with the same respect and dignity that they would expect to experience in their interpersonal interactions. "Thirteen Reasons Why" is an excellent novel, which is relevant for readers of all ages, and which merits a five-star rating, along with a strong recommendation.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon May 4, 2017
on May 5, 2017
I have worked as a social worker with depressed teenagers for17 years and this book truly captures their emotions and how they internalize everything. What adults see as no big deal teenagers see as the end of the world. Kids are mean. This story needs to be discussed thoroughly if a teenager is reading it. To explain that suicide is not the answer and that by opening up and telling people what you are going through you might actually have a person who will love you and care. Not everyone will but there may be that one person. Excellent but sad story that so many teens have as reality.
on May 18, 2017
OMG..this book had my emotions going wild and all over the place. i dont see how anyone can say this book glorify suicide. what i saw, what i read in this book was the story of a young girl who was hurting. She was broken and thought she was alone. after being bullied, lied to and betrayed by people she once trusted she though everyone would do the same to her. while reading this book i cried, smiled and even screamed a little. its def a most read!❤💔
on July 3, 2017
This book was an honest look at the downward spiral of depression and how it led to suicide. This was a brilliantly written book. At first I felt it was too contrived with the notion of Hannah creating a long winded series of tapes that explains in great detail who wronged her and what led to her ending her life. But in truth, it was a brilliant way of her telling you her story as she walks you through her life spinning out of control, and you are experiencing it with Clay, the young man who loved her and is in shock and horror at how it is unfolding. Two of the most signicant aspects of this sad story is that it does show how depression can make someone feel hopeless, even when there are people who care and could help, but the darkness of depression clouds the persons perspective, sometimes egging them on to continue spiraling downward.

Hannah is a very pretty high school girl, new to the neighborhood, with good parents and wanting all the normal things a healthy teen wants, to find friends and fall in love. And as she explains what happened, the first boy she really cared about and kissed, made up rumors he spread around the school that she gave much more than a kiss. What started for her as a wonderful first love, quickly turned into guys hitting on her for all the wrong reasons, one guy grabbing her ass in public, another guy peeping in her windows, another guy creating a list of the hot girls in school, that pits her against her best girl friend, ruining yet another important anchor in her life. As she explains how her world started deteriorating and she gets more and more isolated and depressed, her thoughts turn darker. As this happens she begins to push even good opportunities aside, people who could help her, like Clay, as if she is sealing her own fate. I don't want to give away any more of the story, but the story really shows how depression can have a snowball effect, which they mention in the book, and how people can be harsh and even mean in perpetuating someone's depression, trying to hit oh Hannah right after bad things happen, like one boy named Zach, who tries to hit on her as she is reeling from just having been sexually assaulted.

An important aspect of the book is that it shows the affects that suicide has on those left behind, the confusion and guilt and deep sadness that are the ripple effects of their actions. Clay loved Hannah, and with him we experience not only depression and guilt, but also anger because she pushed him away, not allowing him to help. And we see, at the end, even when she reaches out to Her advisor at school, though he is not doing a great job understanding, he is trying, and she seems to have already made up her mind and pushes away any help he may have been able to give.

This book looks at depression and suicide in a fairly honest and candid way, and it is tragic, like it is real life. It is not book to take lightly, and I hope for anyone reading it who may suffer from similar feelings that they will see that Hannah could have taken a different path and allowed people to help her. She could have made different choices at the end, and that her depression clouded her choice making. That is one of the really important aspects that the author lets you see, and which makes the story that much more tragic.
on May 25, 2017
I'm not saying I regret buying this book, but it is so controversial to my Christian beliefs and I was sooooo saddened that she couldn't talk to anyone but her tape recorder. If she would have been as honest with a professional councilor, I would like to think she could have been helped. I will not watch the movie. I can compartmentalize books, but not things I actually see. I'm sure the author just wanted to show another "side" to suicide, and this book certainly made a statement.
on June 15, 2017
I read this book because the students I teach were reading it and watching it on NetFlix. I also saw where a school pulled it from the library, so I was curious about the content. I understand the concern about fragile teenagers reading the book; however, the book does a great job of showing how vindictive, pathetic, and selfish the main character is and how she really wants to hurt everyone who ever crossed her path. So , I don't think it glorifies suicide-hopefully, it discourages it.