Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 3,047 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,383 reviews
on April 6, 2017
This was a reread for me and I'm so glad I dived back in it. I first fell in love with this story in high school. For the longest time it was the only representation I had for mental illness, I connected with a dead girl because she had so many emotions I also shared sometimes to my own fright. Hannah's story is tragic and heartbreaking. The ending always shook me because she wasn't coming back, you had such a strong narrator for these tragedies but she wasn't going to get up and say ha! It's all a joke. She was gone, and that is one of the reasons I always came back to this book. I needed to know she was gone, that is the outcome of suicide that I didn't want to see at 17, your story is finished. Now as an adult reading it, it's still heartbreaking and terribly tragic and I still connect so strongly to this story. I loved this book and will always love this book. I read more into it now than what I did then. Clay was the perfect perspective to put it in because I can't think good things about any of the other characters, as hard as the tv show wants you too. The tv show has recently released on Netflix and they've changed so much from the original book and part of me wonders is if it's to make it make more sense. The thing is, suicide doesn't make sense. That tragic act doesn't have to make sense. It's sad and scary, and we will ever understand even with 13 separate and valid reasons, it still doesn't make sense. One this book did such a good job of showing is how small things, things we think inconsequential, can be detrimental to someone else. Something as simple as not saying goodbye given the opportunity, can change how someone feels. Now does this mean we have to walk on egg shells? No, that actually impossible. It means watch what your doing basically. If your having a bad day it isn't okay to take it out on someone else, we can control the small things so the big things won't spiral. This book will always hold a special place in my heart, and I'm sure once the shock of the show wears off it will too. I needed to reread this book, it's good to remember what we do and who we are matters. Even when you think you don't matter and no one would care, you do matter. You matter so much! ❤️
33 comments| 265 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2017
I don't know what I can say about this book that hasn't already been said. I read it after watching the Netflix series, and while there are definitely differences between the two, the combination left me reeling. It is deeply moving, poignant, and yet one of the most hopeful books I've ever read.

The story revolves around Clay, who finds a box of cassette tapes waiting on his doorstep one day. As he listens to them, he is drawn into the story of Hannah, his crush that committed suicide just a couple weeks earlier. The tapes share the thirteen reasons why she made the choice that she did, one for each person that contributed to that decision.

On the surface, it sounds like a horrifying premise for a read. It is a tough read at times, but no less important. Her point of creating the tapes, to be passed to each person on them, was not to be cruel. It was to make a point... the point that how we act toward one another, whether deliberate or not, makes a difference. Any one of those acts can be small in and of itself, but they can add up to push a person over the edge.

Having seen the series and read the book, I have to say something I never thought I would. As much as I loved the book, I felt that the series really showed Hannah's angst just a bit more clearly. Admittedly, some of that was accomplished through changes in the plot and some details. Ideally, I would suggest indulging in both.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon May 7, 2017
"Thirteen Reasons Why" is a novel that examines teen angst, bullying, suicide, and relationships, in the context of a story about a conflicted high school girl who chose to end her life, rather than continue confronting classmates whom she perceived to be her tormentors. This book very effectively emphasizes the critical importance of parental vigilance and empathy, with regard to the tremendous peer pressure and anxiety experienced by many teenage children, which, in the extreme, can lead to tragedy. It is such a valuable contribution to teenage literature because it reminds its readers of the overarching importance of maintaining open lines of communication between teenagers, their parents, their teachers, and their friends and classmates. It also highlights the fundamental relationship principle that an individual should treat everyone whom they encounter with the same respect and dignity that they would expect to experience in their interpersonal interactions. "Thirteen Reasons Why" is an excellent novel, which is relevant for readers of all ages, and which merits a five-star rating, along with a strong recommendation.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon May 4, 2017
on May 25, 2017
I'm not saying I regret buying this book, but it is so controversial to my Christian beliefs and I was sooooo saddened that she couldn't talk to anyone but her tape recorder. If she would have been as honest with a professional councilor, I would like to think she could have been helped. I will not watch the movie. I can compartmentalize books, but not things I actually see. I'm sure the author just wanted to show another "side" to suicide, and this book certainly made a statement.
on August 19, 2017
This book was difficult to read. A must though for all school * High School kids, teachers, parents, == There is a need to have a better life than what the kids experience. They act 'tough' When asked what bothers them they say 'nothing'. When asked what's going on they say ''everything is fine'' They get bullied, (((even raped))) and say I am O.K. or That's O.K. and then they Suffer Too Much to the point of killing themselves. How can we help make life for all kids better? There is hard life ahead of so many...they should be spared and enjoy their youth years...well some 'growing pains' are a 'given' - but not such enormous traumas and stress. This should not be part of growing up. Counsellors, Teachers, Parents, even Psychologists/Psychiatrists, etc. being human, having their own lives to live, problems to face at home and work; can't be, should not be faulted for missing signs, cries, suicides -especially- when kids don't talk..Make it safe for them to talk. I want to go on and on and on but tears are stopping me... Read the Book; Help when and if you can. Anyone (even a stranger) that comes your way that might be troubled make yourself available. .Don't take the short answer: 'I'M FINE' or 'EVERYTHING IS FINE' especially with teens. Learn to ask different questions; questions that generate answers; so you don't get, I'm fine answer. DON'T just say: if you need to talk, I'm here for you. Engage in
a conversation. Listen. Care. Hug. Listen some more. Please.
on May 8, 2017
I did not hear about this novel until after I say the trailer on Netflix. During me viewing the trailer I noticed it derived from a book and we all know the book 95% of the time has more details than a series or movie. However, this was different. The story was very detailed paying close attention (in my opinion) to three characters. As for the series on Netflix, it focused more on the effects of everyone while still paying attention to those three characters. I would definitely recommend reading Thirteen Reasons Why even if the series was already viewed.
on June 28, 2017
Typically I am a firm believer that the book is always better than the movie but in this particular instance it's the total opposite. I watched the series first and was so drawn into the story that I stayed up until 2am to finish the whole show in one night, the complex nature of the events that ultimately led to Hannah's suicide were shocking, numbing, and all too real in this day and age. What the series made you see and feel the book lacked. I was disappointed that Clay did not act as he did in the movie, instead his character weakly listened and passed on the tapes....there was none of the complexity of the interwoven circle of friends, Hannah's parents, the investigation into the lack of the school protecting the bullied kid, or Clay seeking redemption on Hannah's behalf now that they all know the truth instead of the rumors. For me the series gets 5 Stars but the book is lacking so only 3 Stars.
on May 13, 2017
I got this book to preview it because I figured my pre-teen and teenage daughters would find it. I really have mixed feelings. The message of watching what you say or do because it could unintentionally hurt someone is a good one. But the tapes seem like revenge more than cautionary. More like "I'll get you for what you did to me", rather than "did you think about what you were doing?" My daughter ended up watching the series, so I was glad I had read the book.
on May 30, 2017
I use to hate reading. This book had me in it from the beginning. Suicide is a big issue in today's society. We all need to see the value of life and how our actions affect one another. This book should be a required reading material for high schoolers. I'm 27 years old, and this book should be on the 100 Books to read before you die. The mystery and twisted plot are a gripping grasp of reality. I'm very impressed with this book.