Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,698 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,944 reviews
on April 6, 2017
This was a reread for me and I'm so glad I dived back in it. I first fell in love with this story in high school. For the longest time it was the only representation I had for mental illness, I connected with a dead girl because she had so many emotions I also shared sometimes to my own fright. Hannah's story is tragic and heartbreaking. The ending always shook me because she wasn't coming back, you had such a strong narrator for these tragedies but she wasn't going to get up and say ha! It's all a joke. She was gone, and that is one of the reasons I always came back to this book. I needed to know she was gone, that is the outcome of suicide that I didn't want to see at 17, your story is finished. Now as an adult reading it, it's still heartbreaking and terribly tragic and I still connect so strongly to this story. I loved this book and will always love this book. I read more into it now than what I did then. Clay was the perfect perspective to put it in because I can't think good things about any of the other characters, as hard as the tv show wants you too. The tv show has recently released on Netflix and they've changed so much from the original book and part of me wonders is if it's to make it make more sense. The thing is, suicide doesn't make sense. That tragic act doesn't have to make sense. It's sad and scary, and we will ever understand even with 13 separate and valid reasons, it still doesn't make sense. One this book did such a good job of showing is how small things, things we think inconsequential, can be detrimental to someone else. Something as simple as not saying goodbye given the opportunity, can change how someone feels. Now does this mean we have to walk on egg shells? No, that actually impossible. It means watch what your doing basically. If your having a bad day it isn't okay to take it out on someone else, we can control the small things so the big things won't spiral. This book will always hold a special place in my heart, and I'm sure once the shock of the show wears off it will too. I needed to reread this book, it's good to remember what we do and who we are matters. Even when you think you don't matter and no one would care, you do matter. You matter so much! ❤️
22 comments| 204 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2017
I don't know what I can say about this book that hasn't already been said. I read it after watching the Netflix series, and while there are definitely differences between the two, the combination left me reeling. It is deeply moving, poignant, and yet one of the most hopeful books I've ever read.

The story revolves around Clay, who finds a box of cassette tapes waiting on his doorstep one day. As he listens to them, he is drawn into the story of Hannah, his crush that committed suicide just a couple weeks earlier. The tapes share the thirteen reasons why she made the choice that she did, one for each person that contributed to that decision.

On the surface, it sounds like a horrifying premise for a read. It is a tough read at times, but no less important. Her point of creating the tapes, to be passed to each person on them, was not to be cruel. It was to make a point... the point that how we act toward one another, whether deliberate or not, makes a difference. Any one of those acts can be small in and of itself, but they can add up to push a person over the edge.

Having seen the series and read the book, I have to say something I never thought I would. As much as I loved the book, I felt that the series really showed Hannah's angst just a bit more clearly. Admittedly, some of that was accomplished through changes in the plot and some details. Ideally, I would suggest indulging in both.
on May 9, 2017
Suicide is serious. If you hear someone talk about ending his or her life, you need to take it seriously.

This book provides insights for all readers that set the stage to have a meaningful discussion.

Your words and actions affect others. You get to choose how. Choose kindness.
on May 5, 2017
I have worked as a social worker with depressed teenagers for17 years and this book truly captures their emotions and how they internalize everything. What adults see as no big deal teenagers see as the end of the world. Kids are mean. This story needs to be discussed thoroughly if a teenager is reading it. To explain that suicide is not the answer and that by opening up and telling people what you are going through you might actually have a person who will love you and care. Not everyone will but there may be that one person. Excellent but sad story that so many teens have as reality.
on April 27, 2017
So I decided to read the book after watching the Netflix series, and im not sure which i liked better. The book is a bit different. It is a quick easy read. You really feel for the main characters. The author did a great job capturing the attention of the reader. Definitely a page turner
on May 17, 2017
One of the best books I've read in a while. I have two young boys who are already dealing with some bullying at school and I wanted to read this to see if I could get some insight. I did learn so much. It's so true that usually suicide in kids or adults isn't just based off one thing, but the snowball needs to start somewhere. Once that ball gets rolling then it's hard to stop it. It also sheds light on things to look for. I haven't watched the show yet, I wanted to read the book first. I plan to keep this book around and when my boys get a little older I will have them read this. I don't want them to be on either side of the actions this books plays out.
on May 13, 2017
I got this book to preview it because I figured my pre-teen and teenage daughters would find it. I really have mixed feelings. The message of watching what you say or do because it could unintentionally hurt someone is a good one. But the tapes seem like revenge more than cautionary. More like "I'll get you for what you did to me", rather than "did you think about what you were doing?" My daughter ended up watching the series, so I was glad I had read the book.
on April 28, 2017
Beautiful book. I'm excited to read it!! I bought it because I heard the Netflix serie is good, si let's read the book first! 😊
review image review image
on May 23, 2017
I read the book after watching the show on cable. I loved both. Of course the series had changed many things from the book which brought it alive. That being said, I found the book clear and easy to follow. It is well written for teens to understand, simple yet complicated because of the subject. I've heard that some circles feel it promotes suicide. I disagree. I found it to promote watching more closely for those not strong enough to reach out for themselves. Would be great if it helps to prevent more teen suicides.
on May 8, 2017
I did not hear about this novel until after I say the trailer on Netflix. During me viewing the trailer I noticed it derived from a book and we all know the book 95% of the time has more details than a series or movie. However, this was different. The story was very detailed paying close attention (in my opinion) to three characters. As for the series on Netflix, it focused more on the effects of everyone while still paying attention to those three characters. I would definitely recommend reading Thirteen Reasons Why even if the series was already viewed.