Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on April 13, 2018
The author decided he should read the book, BIG MISTAKE! He has no idea how to keep the listeners attention. His voice is monotone throughout, no inflection even during parts that should be exciting or funny. It’s like he’s reading a grocery list. Just read it if your interested in the book.
on March 15, 2015
I really enjoyed this book. On the heels of the SNL 40th reunion, I guess I was feeling nostalgic. This book is as much about SNL as it is about the Grateful Dead. Tom Davis has led an interesting and exciting life doing what he wanted to do...comedy, writing, living with music. I laughed out loud many times and marveled at the life some people are lucky or driven enough to have had.(Good friends with Dan Akroyd, Timothy Leary, and Jerry Garcia!) I'm always amazed at people who use a lot of drugs and are living in the fast lane are able to make it. Many, as you read this book, did not. I loved how TD was able to deliver his story with honesty and humor. I didn't read any previous reviews, I just looked at the "stars". I can only imagine that if you didn't like this book it may be that you aren't very funny :) or you didn't like Tom's writing style. It took me a few beats to appreciate his staccato way of describing situations. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and was sorry when I got the last page, which isn't always evident when on your kindle, at least to me.
5 people found this helpful
on January 3, 2017
Great book if you like comedy and the entertainment industry.
on March 31, 2015
great for SNL buffs, comedy fans, and Franken & Davis fans (of course)
2 people found this helpful
on October 20, 2017
Fascinating, funny and thoroughly entertaining.
on August 12, 2017
written by my friend Tom David, head writer for SNL
on February 28, 2018
If you like SNL then you will like this book by one of the original writers.
on May 3, 2015
Choppy, sloppy, still good inside the life stories, funny too.
2 people found this helpful
on March 7, 2009
Having been an SNL devotee since the very first show, I am always interested in a new book by or about those involved in the show. Having neared the end of this book I find I know more about Davis' various drug experiences than anything else. I assumed going in that there would be more than just great stories of working on the show, and find no fault with that, but for someone who as a young man racked up so many journeys to different parts of the world in the late sixties and much of the seventies, there's surprisingly little 'ooomph!' The recounting of trips to places like newly-opened-to-visitors China and India are little more than memories of drugs that were taken and food-related ailments. There are no 'great thoughts,' merely 'we went here, smoked this, got sick and laughed and then I slept with _____' And then, once SNL enters the book, it's partying with the rich and famous and another round of 'musical beds.'

The first rule of acting is 'show, dont' tell.' There's a lot of telling here, much of it various versions of the same story.

I give it three stars mainly for the handful of little SNL tidbits that made it in towards the end.
9 people found this helpful
on April 22, 2015
I loved it. Great reading insights from someone who was really there. A loving look at comedy as well - from minds that didn't necessarily become household names. Especially loved reading about people like Dudley Riggs and Budge Threlkeld.