Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
This Book is About Travel: A Modern Manual — 15 Countries With 15 Things Paperback – June 4, 2012
"Rebound" by Kwame Alexander
Don't miss best-selling author Kwame Alexander's "Rebound," a new companion novel to his Newbery Award-winner, "The Crossover," illustrated with striking graphic novel panels. Learn more
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Too many people believe they can NOT travel. Mr. Hyde suggests otherwise. And goes on to exude the virtues of traveling.
I travel 6 months of every year, but stay in hotels, timeshares and with friends, but probably average closer to $75/night for accommodations. Thus, the specifics were not specific to me, BUT Mr. Hyde's sense of how to think about the process and the experience clicked 90% of the time.
Below I tried to find 10 quotes that captured most of the essence of this book for me. I had difficulty choosing amongst the almost 200 quotes (including many of Mr. Hyde's quotes of other famous Travelers). But these 10 might give you a feel.
1. Modern travel, at its core, is opening your heart to possibility. Possibility that can be both dreamed and lived.
2. Travel — and those that seek to enjoy it — isn’t a get rich quick scheme or an overnight cleanse of the soul. It’s a goal you work toward. You are going to act on your own and do something remarkable, for you.
3. Travel is deeply personal. I can’t stress this enough. Your experience, by design, will be drastically different than mine or anyone else’s.
4. I decided to try to embrace each moment of my trip — even my mistakes and my failures.
5. to get off the tourist track and find the local energy of an area.
6. Spending a night analyzing a night market in Cartagena taught me more about the Colombian culture than a week in museums.
7. My favorite part of travel. Walk until you are tired, buy a drink or some lunch, walk some more, follow some people like a stalker and end with a big dinner and a game of Stay Up Until Bedtime
8. It’s rare to hear a traveler speak of regrets — as if we opt instead to reach for the bright side of every situation, where every close call becomes a glowing pearl of a great story.
9. The more I see, the less I know, and that’s why I travel. I try to educate myself with books, newspapers, magazines, and documentaries but they pale in comparison to seeing it.
10. Traveling, for me, has really been about learning to live my life deliberately. To both plan with intention and relax into spontaneity.
"This Book Is About Travel" is a quick read and has many different kinds of lessons available. Grab your own list of 100 memorable quotes.
I love traveling, Hyde clearly does too. Better than a shared enthusiasm, though, Hyde has enhanced my joy in so many ways.
Great insights, great joy. Wonderful.
Robert C. Ross
Andrew is a great writer, witty, endearing and open. Each chapter engages you as if you were out there somewhere with Andrew telling you stories about his adventures. It's a great read and will make you look inside yourself at what motivates you to travel and how to just let yourself go. I really enjoyed it!
This book is not only an energizing read, but it's also gorgeous. Reminiscent of an Alain de Botton title, "This Book Is About Travel" is a collection of brief, inspiring essays juxtaposed with some truly marvelous travel photography. As a veteran traveler, "This Book Is About Travel" stirred some deep longings for a cocktail in Cambodia and another hunt for rhubarb pie in Germany. Feeling ho-hum about your 9-5? Flip open to a page and book a damn plane ticket already. As Andrew reminds us, we don't need a savings account or years of planning to explore the world -- we just need us.
Most recent customer reviews
When the book arrived in the mail a few days ago, I could not have been prepared...Read more