BCA Month Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

This Is Not My Hat
Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 30, 2016
My first grade students loved this book! They were really amused how the little fish made little assumptions like, "And he probably won't wake up for a long time" and the picture would show otherwise (the big fish was actually awake!) This book served as a great mentor text for teaching the strategy of asking questions. Using turn & talk, the students asked questions before, during, and after reading. I kept adding them to our "Good Readers Ask Questions" chart. The book is not that long, but make sure you give the children enough time to look closely at the pictures to see how they contradict the main character's thoughts. The students came up with lots of questions that were left unanswered after reading which led to a very lively and engaging discussion! I highly recommend this book for early primary.
on November 7, 2014
My two daughters, aged 2 and 4, love this book! We first picked it up at the library, and after reading it many many times a day for two weeks straight, I decided to buy it for them. It still is one of the books they like to look at almost daily.

The premise is pretty simple: a small fish steals a small hat from a big fish. The words are also pretty simple, but the pictures go along with them speak volumes. My daughters love to contradict what the little fish says by pointing out what's happening in the pictures (me: "...he probably won't wake up" them: "He's awake! He's awake!")

I was a little surprised by all the negative reviews saying this book teaches dubious morals about stealing or animals eating other animals. I think that's absurd. My girls understood from the very beginning of this book that stealing isn't OK, and this book has prompted lots of discussions about what you should do if someone steals something (and neither one of them has ever thought killing the thief is the right thing to do!)

Anyway, this is a delightful book, and doesn't bore me to death everytime I have to read it! It won it's award based on the artwork, which is show-stopping! I'll be hanging onto this book hopefully for my future grandkids!
on November 24, 2014
Oh, how I love this book. I first found this at our local library and checked it out just because of the title and the adorable fish on the cover. We started reading it to our newborn and I loved it from the first page. The illustrations are wonderful, with a slight reminiscence of Eric Carle. The story was so enjoyable that I had to purchase the book so that I would have it on hand to read to my daughter. I can't wait until she can read this aloud to me in the future :)
on January 9, 2017
I love this book! We purchased it on a whim and my wife and I nearly died in hysterics by the ending. From the silent menacing victim to the "he went that-a-way" crab this book is a delight. If you are a fuddy-duddy you won't like this book because it has some dark humor for the adults who are actually reading it. I don't want to ruin the ending so I will say no more, but if you ever find yourself laughing at something in polite company only to receive glares, this book is for you!
on October 31, 2013
This is a quirky and delightful book about a fish who stole a hat from a very big fish. He is very boastful and thinks he can get away from the big fish! Turns out, things might be so easy for such a prideful little fish.

I think this book has been a great vehicle for delivering lesson on pride and boasting for some kids and it also helps with prediction! It is very convenient to stop at the pages and ask the child what they think might happen next. It is also a treat to talk about the somewhat open ending. It is clear to an adult or older child that the fish was probably eaten in the end...or was he?! It sure got some laughs from my 6-7 yr old crowd.
on July 31, 2017
Loved "I Want My Hat Back," it was surprising and funny. This felt mean-spirited, and the humor was a lot more subtle. The illustrations also weren't as interesting.
on August 28, 2016
My kids are both fishermen and they think this book is hysterical. I like the message and the illustrations. Easy for my 2nd grader to read and I liked that it was not a feely book.
on June 28, 2017
These books are so cute. They can be read to babies, and will serve as 1st books for when they are old enough to read themselves.
on April 29, 2017
Awards not withstanding, not a good message for little kids.
on May 3, 2017
Love this book! Bought it for my grand daughter who is almost 5 and she likes it, too.