Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,845 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,395 reviews
on September 22, 2014
This started out so clever and insightful regarding family dynamics. Then it fell apart and left me feeling vaguely depressed. If this is insight into the male mind, we are doomed as a planet.
Never mind it lost touch with reality around the second time this supposed slovenly loser got laid. Never mind the whole male-rape scene was smarmy and sad. It just didn't deliver as far as exposing the complicated emotions that exist in every family. the potential was there, but it went from clever to ridiculous. There aren't many families where grown men get together and end up beating up each other, and various other characters. It felt like reality TV.
And the women . . . there wasn't one missed stereotype, I have to give Tropper credit. You have the bitch, the whore, the crazy hormonal housewife, even the lesbians. Oh, and the sad, lonely single woman. There wasn't one woman character that you could stand. This was a misogynistic mess.
I struggled to finish it. The only positive thing I can say is that it didn't wrap things up neatly with a bow. Thanks, Tropper.
on February 14, 2015
This is the first book I’ve read by Tropper, and I will be reading more. He has a lovely way with words, and comes up with some gems. From the first page I knew I was in for a treat, both by the quality of the writing and the laugh out loud humour, which is such a delight. Written in the first person, he offers insight not only into his main character, but also into the family dynamics of smart and disparate siblings.

Judd Foxman, the main character, finds out on the first page that his father has died after a long illness, and that his father’s dying wish was for the family to sit shiva. The thought of his dysfunctional family being in the same house for 7 days of mourning is more than a little terrifying, particularly as Judd has only recently lost his job and been abandoned by his wife. Well, I say abandoned, but Tropper goes into hilarious and excruciating detail about how Judd came home early one day to find his wife in bed with his boss.

What is so apparent, is that most of the family comes to life under Tropper’s guidance, and there is a definite delineation of character and personalities which is difficult with so many characters to manage. Using shiva as the excuse to put the family into close proximity for a week, Tropper teases out the personalities of each of the family members, and there is something really appealing about each of them, despite their foibles.

I thought it was a joy to read, and I really didn’t want to finish the book and leave the company of the Foxmans. I highly recommend it.
4.5 stars
on May 27, 2017
The narrator is a misogynistic twit. Listening to him piss and moan and trash talk women is like being trapped on a cross-Atlantic flight next to an oversexed drunk who won't shut up about his mother, his ex-wife, his ex-girlfriends, his annoying relatives, and who blames them for his problems while taking no responsibility for his own shortcoming. The whole time he is talking your ear off with this drivel, he pauses to catcall at the stewardesses and comment on their butts every time one walks by. You find yourself hoping and praying that he drinks enough so that he will pass out and you won't have to listen to him anymore. You are glad that his wife cheated on him and wish her happiness with a man who isn't so pathetic and grotesque. The only reason I can fathom that this book got so many good reviews is because most of the readers with any taste stopped reading it after a couple of chapters and didn't feel comfortable writing a review for a book they didn't finish. Those good people owe me an apology.
on November 9, 2014
Funny (there is a great scene with a birthday cake) and a true bawdy romp, but so misogynistic that I can't really recommend it to anyone who despises a heavy-handed male perspective (what we call dicklit). Everyone's appearance is fair game (male and female), but guys get away with being attractive as slobs, while the women have to be skinny and gorgeous to merit attention - the term "creamy thighs" was shamelessly overused. Great for an entertaining read, but if you find self-pitying, sex-obsessed dudes annoying (like ones who complain: I haven't been with a woman in 2 whole months, I'm such a victim!!!), perhaps this isn't the book for you. Most of the women in my book club loved it (as did my mom and some pretty famous film producers) so mine is a minority perspective perhaps.
on September 19, 2016
I read this book for book club and finished it in about three (3) days time. The author does a really good job of painting the scene so you can actually visualize it playing out as you read. This book shows how off kilter and messy family life can be. A true testament of really life with all of the heartbreak, anger, and confusion that goes along with it. Tropper's descriptions of the anguish one feels when discovering their supposed partner in life has been unfaithful is uncanny. The only reason I did not give this book five stars even though I read it rather quickly, was that some of the content was a little too unbelievable to happen in seven short days (SPOILER ALERT!!!! Like the fact that Judd is not more upset with his sister when he finds out that she cheated on her husband, when Judd knew for a fact how badly that hurts or the crazy seen with his sister-in-law in the basement). One thing for sure, I really appreciate my family even more after knowing the craziness that is the Foxman family. This is the first book I have read by this author and I plan on reading some of his other novels.
on December 3, 2016
There is not one member of the family, which this book is about, whom I liked or respected. Adults acting like children. Predictable story. Book is humorous at times, but author tries too hard to be funny and too often his humor demeans people.
on April 2, 2017
I think everyone that reads this will connect with the characters or the situation in someway. At first I thought it was a little too soap opera but then as you get to know the personalities and grief there is a story, and there not always happy. Everyone has problems, there's more to people then whats on the surface, do we really know our siblings and its hard to loose a parent. Understanding and forgiveness. It wasn't a "couldn't put it down book" but I found it enjoyable and recommend it.
on September 8, 2016
I've tried reading this book quite a few times from my kindle, just because I thought surely there is good writing in there somewhere. My opinion is the book has a lot of boring dialogue and not enough character depth. I'm not understanding the good reviews.
on October 10, 2014
If you liked that, read this. If that book left you cold, then don't bother with this one. I know the movie was reviewed as one of the funniest movies of the year by someone. Maybe the movie is better, but I won't bother going after reading this. Am I missing something? This dysfunctional family is so filled with negativity, burnt ambitions, failed relationships, and anger, that I failed to care about any of the characters. As they gather to sit shiva after the death of their father, a family that has drifted apart, spends seven days together, unwillingly, because their mother insists it was their non-religious father's last request. No one loves the one they're with, there is more unbridled sex with anyone and everyone, fighting, bleeding, peuking, and angry, smart-alecky remarks and put downs than I cared to read. I did finish it because I was reading it for a book club, but these people were so miserable, that no one got along. They were exactly the type of people who would make me miserable! I doubt I could make it through seven days with them either. Even though things sort of wrap up in the end, there is very little redemption to cause me to recommend this book or author.
on December 11, 2014
I LOVED this book! The writer has a wonderful sense of humor and irony and it plays out well as he describes the interactions between the siblings and their mother as well as their old friends and extended family who come to visit during the week of Shiva held at their mother's home following the death of their father.
Old animosities and sibling rivalries re-emerge as they are thrown together like captives for a week.
Tropper does a fabulous job of developing characters and a story line. At times it felt as though I'd met some of the people in his book.

It grabbed my attention from the very start and carried me though to the end. I'm not sure I want to see the movie because it might not live up to the wonderful writing in the novel.

I am now a Jonathan Tropper fan!