Hill Climb Racing 2 Vehicles Review HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

on January 18, 2018
I bought the book because it was said to be funny and it did deliver on that. The family zings each other constantly and hilariously. The professional reviews that compare the author to Nick Hornby are tripping. Tropper writes well crafted entertainment, Hornby serious books, despite the often lighthearted tone.
But the author wants to mock pop psychology and still invokes bromides like letting go of your grief and moving past your anger. Worse, he seems to not realize that some things really are unforgivable, no matter how besotted you are.
on April 14, 2015
Good novel, some interesting twists and turns. Easy and quick read, I finished it in a few days. Some sexual parts that seem a bit gratuitous at first, but as the story unfolds, it seems to fit the novel and serve its part..... It is the type of book that is hard to put down, you want to know how the story turns the next corner.
It's honest and raw, in a few places a bit over the top, but still cleverly written. The author creates characters that you feel attached to and paints a picture of emotional connections that you feel invested in as you read the novel. Not giving away anything here, but the end does leave one hanging a bit, but obviously the book was meant to end that way....draw your own conclusion how the story ends. I recommend this book.
on May 30, 2010
Let me begin with a cliche: this is a page turner.
I happen to really like novels about Jewish families, quite possibly because I rather enjoy being the observer of my partner's Jewish family. So the whole notion of a modern Jewish family sitting shiva for seven days has all the makings for a wonderful novel. And when that concept is placed in the capable hands of Jonathan Tropper, well, let's just use another cliche: it can be side-splitting funny.
Judd narrates the novel which opens with the death of his father, a man who was not exactly the most involved person in the lives of his four children. But then again neither was Judd's mother, ironically so, since she is a best-selling author of a book about how to raise children. However, she is not one of those stereotypical Jewish mothers either unless, of course, her need to go in for body maintenance work on a regular basis would be considered stereotypically Jewish.
I am not giving away too much when I tell you this: Judd has caught his wife, Jen, having sex with his boss. And now Judd is living in a little apartment arrangement. And is unemployed. So as the family works through seven days of sitting shiva--in low-down chairs--Judd tells us their stories and his own. And it is a truly wonderful journey, one filled with laughs.
The writing is really brilliant.
on June 11, 2016
This was one of our book club books. And, we absolutely loved it - although it was much darker than I expected, I found Tropper's book to be a great read, with extraordinarily well developed characters. Having lost my own father just 18 months ago, I could relate to many of the emotions Tropper explored. At times laugh out loud funny, and at times endearing, I found THIS IS WHERE I LEAVE YOU to be a great tale about the human condition and human nature. I expect to read this book again one day.

Fun Fact: I accidentally purchased the companion guide at first instead of the book... glad that I did, but be sure you're ordering the right option!
on December 17, 2017
I could give it four stars instead, but for some reason, I like this book. The whole anarchy thing is going on with them. That makes me wonder about my steady family. There was some weirdness going on in this book, but it redirects how good it can be at that way.
on November 15, 2014
After reading Tropper's "The Book Of Joe" and "One Last Thing Before I Go", I considered myself a Tropper fan. "One Last Thing..." had me alternately laughing out loud, and moved to tears. "This Is Where I Leave You" is both less hilarious and less warm hearted than the other two books. It still contains his fast paced, lively, imaginative narrative style with spot on descriptions and true to the ear conversations. But it comes off as just a bit more predictable and formulaic. Good book, though. It's easy to see why they chose to make a movie of this one, with its more static settings and its family dynamics that lend itself to an ensemble cast.
on November 22, 2013
So I was really enjoying this book. It was funny, in a tragic, shake-your-head kind of way. A little dirty, which isn't a bad thing. I cared about the characters. And it reads very much like a movie - I could see the whole thing playing out in my imagination. Tropper is a very talented writer.

And then I got to the very end. My eyeballs took a long, dramatic roll around their sockets, and I nearly threw my Kindle against the wall. The ending is so annoying, and so very trite and corny. It felt like a real let down for what was otherwise a very enjoyable read. If you decide to read this, I might recommend stopping about 10 pages short of the end.
VINE VOICEon October 10, 2014
As a member of five siblings I saw myself and my brothers and sisters and their spouses over and over in this book. Granted that my mom is nothing like the mother/widow of This Is Where I Leave You but there were eerily too many similarities among the other characters. Until the big surprise at the end, I even saw one of my mother's friends in the role of Linda.

Suffice it to say that this book is fascinating, thought provoking and enthralling. I was drawn into this story of a Jewish family asked to sit sivah in honor of their deceased father. I did not want to stop reading and was even disappointed with the book ended. The recounting of the Jewish custom is fascinating and the sometimes hilarious, sometimes tragic characters are so true to life. It is easy to identify with the various stages of grief and many changes and awakenings that the siblings have during their week of forced togetherness.

I have not seen the movie but in my experience the book is always better anyway. Really liked this book.
on October 31, 2014
Although this was made into a movie, I believe it was written for the few. This in reality is not a normal setting for even the dysfunctional family. The rawness and outspoken characters were interesting, that is true. It was in some cases amusing for those who enjoy that form of literature. I have to admit it did amuse me somewhat, but it was a little crude and I certainly would not like to live in those surroundings nor would I want my family to act and think like they did. A mixture of disrespect and love in a family was the authors theme plus the fact that he tried to use shocking actions to gain the publicity for selling his product.

I read this on my kindle and game it two stars.
on May 11, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed this dysfunctional family as they gathered to mourn their father's death. I was reading it while my own family lived under one roof to wait for my mother to die. Sad as we were, we still laughed and told stories and argued, just as Tropper's characters did. However, we weren't as raunchy as the Foxmans! I found a lot of truths tucked away in this book and look forward to reading more of Tropper's work.