Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on September 19, 2016
I read this book for book club and finished it in about three (3) days time. The author does a really good job of painting the scene so you can actually visualize it playing out as you read. This book shows how off kilter and messy family life can be. A true testament of really life with all of the heartbreak, anger, and confusion that goes along with it. Tropper's descriptions of the anguish one feels when discovering their supposed partner in life has been unfaithful is uncanny. The only reason I did not give this book five stars even though I read it rather quickly, was that some of the content was a little too unbelievable to happen in seven short days (SPOILER ALERT!!!! Like the fact that Judd is not more upset with his sister when he finds out that she cheated on her husband, when Judd knew for a fact how badly that hurts or the crazy seen with his sister-in-law in the basement). One thing for sure, I really appreciate my family even more after knowing the craziness that is the Foxman family. This is the first book I have read by this author and I plan on reading some of his other novels.
on November 9, 2014
Funny (there is a great scene with a birthday cake) and a true bawdy romp, but so misogynistic that I can't really recommend it to anyone who despises a heavy-handed male perspective (what we call dicklit). Everyone's appearance is fair game (male and female), but guys get away with being attractive as slobs, while the women have to be skinny and gorgeous to merit attention - the term "creamy thighs" was shamelessly overused. Great for an entertaining read, but if you find self-pitying, sex-obsessed dudes annoying (like ones who complain: I haven't been with a woman in 2 whole months, I'm such a victim!!!), perhaps this isn't the book for you. Most of the women in my book club loved it (as did my mom and some pretty famous film producers) so mine is a minority perspective perhaps.
on October 12, 2014
There have been a number of novels featuring family members or friends who are called back together by a family emergency or a family celebration such as a wedding. We all have siblings, we all have friends and we have most likely participated in more than one awkward reunion. Parental tragedies involve especially fraught moments and not all parents deserve our allegiance. August: Osage County by Tracy Letts gives us a recent example but This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper involves relationships nowhere near as toxic as we saw in that other famous tale.

In this case a family comes home for their Dad’s funeral. Judd is the narrator, which immediately makes this novel unique. Rarely do we learn about these complicated family moments from a male voice. Judd recently made a discovery that his wife was sleeping with his boss, so he is clearly not in a very good mood.

Mom tells these sibs that it was their father’s last wish that they all sit shiva for 7 days and also participate in saying Kaddish at a temple service. Along with Judd, we get sister, Wendy, her husband Barry and their 3 children (Ryan, Cole, Serena), brother Paul with wife Alice, and brother Phillip and his new fiancé Tracy.

As these guys sit for 7 days in low, low shiva chairs facing daily influxes of mourners, an awful lot happens to and among these siblings (and sometimes in front of mourners). I love that aspect of this novel. It is very real and recognizable.

I have more trouble with the ways that Judd talks about women as he suddenly imagines that he is a free male once again. If even a seemingly good guy sees women like this we might be in trouble, although Judd knows not to act on his fantasies. Perhaps this is just what comes with a male narrator. When Judd’s soon-to-be ex-wife shows up at shiva one day to tell Judd that she is pregnant (which he already knew) and that the baby is his (which he did not know) Judd shares with us the difficulties he has processing this.

This is a fast read and it was appealing enough to keep me reading. I guess I am trying to figure out what the movie is like given all the hormonally and emotionally-charged sexual events going on behind the scenes as this family sits shiva. The juxtaposition of these two unlikely topics does provide some fun moments – in often weird ways – and occasional moments that are much more touching. What will Judd do? I don’t dare tell you.
on October 20, 2014
"This Is Where I Leave You" by Jonathan Tropper is a melancholy, sometimes humorous look at family angst and dysfunction. Judd Foxmann's father has died after a lengthy illness and his mother has gathered the family together to sit Shiva. The siblings are all equally bewildered by this last request from their non-religious father. The Foxmann's have not been together as a family for quite some time and now they will be forced to sit together in the same room for seven straight days.

Judd, the narrator, has recently caught his wife in bed with his boss and is in the midst of divorce. He's been living a lonely existence in the basement of an elderly Asian couple's home. Wendy, his sister, has three young children and a husband more concerned with making money than family time. Paul, the older brother, whose one time shot at the big leagues was shot down in tragedy, is still angry with Judd for the incident. His wife, meanwhile, is desperately trying to conceive. The youngest brother, Phillip, the somewhat loveable black sheep of the family is trying to have an adult relationship with an older woman.

The story follows the family interactions over the course of the seven days. The various dynamics between the family members, their significant others and the guests that pay their respects leads to often hilarious scenarios and occasionally enlightenment. Judd's search for a way to live in this new world he's found himself in and to create a tenable future makes for a somewhat sad, yet amusing journey.

Tropper has given Judd a very unique narrative style which really works with the flow of the story. I quite liked the novel, although I will say I was expecting it to be funnier. There were moments of hilarity but it was overall sadder than anticipated.
on January 23, 2015
I just watched the movie and of course, I was disappointed. When I first read this book, I thought that the main character was just too misogynistic. Yet, the movie made him way too palatable and safe (also too old). I realize that the blatant misogyny was something that I really enjoyed about this book. I like to read to get inside other people's view points. So it was enjoyable for me to realize, yes, men really do think that way. We know nothing of the main character's wife except that she was hot. What was her major in college? What did she do for work once they were married? Just the details that were left out show a perfect misogynist's viewpoint. I also keep thinking about the description of the perfectly muscled ice skaters. That was amazing.

The movie was too finished as well. I LOVE the ambiguity of this books ending. Did he end up back with his wife? Did he go back to the girl at home?

This book is brimming full of flawed characters that make it so wonderful. There are ambiguities and a sense of it never being finished--just like life.

After watching the movie, it clarified to me just why I liked this book (because the movie left almost everything great about the book out).
on November 15, 2014
Johnathan takes a slice of a pretty normal life and then puts in a 3D story around it . To make the story interesting, he does spice it up in the beginning with a extra marital affair discovered by the husband in a most inappropriate manner and ends with another surprise. In between, there is the usual vacillations of a normal human beings and families, the aspirations and disappointments. I read on thinking that the plot may get more interesting, but it remained the same manner – like sitting on a swing during childhood and swinging , never going over a given point, although every return seemed that it would.

So, I wouldn’t go with saying that there is a gripping plot here, but then, one might find ones own life reflected in some manner. It would help to introspect without having to go through a similar tragedy. Johnathan has managed a good blend of humor in tragedy, one might actually wonder whether the characters are actually enjoying the tragedy!!

Personally speaking, I prefer stories with a definite ending (something I still hold against “Gone with the wind”). Life itself is so indeterminate, why read a book which is quite the same. But then, that is totally my view, am sure there would be many who would prefer a lego approach – make the story end the way your internal demons want.
on April 2, 2017
I think everyone that reads this will connect with the characters or the situation in someway. At first I thought it was a little too soap opera but then as you get to know the personalities and grief there is a story, and there not always happy. Everyone has problems, there's more to people then whats on the surface, do we really know our siblings and its hard to loose a parent. Understanding and forgiveness. It wasn't a "couldn't put it down book" but I found it enjoyable and recommend it.
on January 18, 2018
I bought the book because it was said to be funny and it did deliver on that. The family zings each other constantly and hilariously. The professional reviews that compare the author to Nick Hornby are tripping. Tropper writes well crafted entertainment, Hornby serious books, despite the often lighthearted tone.
But the author wants to mock pop psychology and still invokes bromides like letting go of your grief and moving past your anger. Worse, he seems to not realize that some things really are unforgivable, no matter how besotted you are.
on October 10, 2014
If you liked that, read this. If that book left you cold, then don't bother with this one. I know the movie was reviewed as one of the funniest movies of the year by someone. Maybe the movie is better, but I won't bother going after reading this. Am I missing something? This dysfunctional family is so filled with negativity, burnt ambitions, failed relationships, and anger, that I failed to care about any of the characters. As they gather to sit shiva after the death of their father, a family that has drifted apart, spends seven days together, unwillingly, because their mother insists it was their non-religious father's last request. No one loves the one they're with, there is more unbridled sex with anyone and everyone, fighting, bleeding, peuking, and angry, smart-alecky remarks and put downs than I cared to read. I did finish it because I was reading it for a book club, but these people were so miserable, that no one got along. They were exactly the type of people who would make me miserable! I doubt I could make it through seven days with them either. Even though things sort of wrap up in the end, there is very little redemption to cause me to recommend this book or author.
on February 21, 2018
A funny but moving novel about a dysfunctional family dealing with the father's death and the emotions of that piling on top of everyone's already stressful situations.Since the father had requested that the family sit shiva (7 days of mourning) for him, they are required to be together for longer than they have been in years. This brings back the old hurts, anger and warmth that had been lost. It's enjoyable to read as these feelings emerge.and wonder what will surface next.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse