Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 62 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 93 reviews
I love Kurt Vonnegut, and I love many of the words of wisdom that appear in this book. It was a nice idea to compile these speeches into one volume. That said, the book is very short, and there is much overlap among the speeches. The same phrases and ideas are mentioned over and over. I don't think Mr. Vonnegut set out to write a "fresh" speech every time his services were requested. Nevertheless, I bought a hardcover copy for both of my boys, who are 18 and 25. I think the book makes a nice gift for young people, despite its shortcomings. If you're looking to read this book yourself, though, and you have a Kindle, I would definitely borrow it instead of buying it, and save yourself a few bucks.
on April 30, 2015
I adore this author's wit and intellect. Sadly, I never had the opportunity to see him speak live but fortunately we will forever have his written words.,
on December 28, 2013
If you love Vonnegut, of course you’ll love this. A lot of it will seem familiar, but who cares. A lot of it is repeated. Again, who cares? He is smart, witty, cynical, genius. If you don’t have everything by Vonnegut yet, this should not be at the top of your list, but once you've read everything by him and you want more, get it. It’s not Vonnegut at his best, but even when he’s mediocre, he’s better than most.
on May 18, 2014
Kurt Vonnegut was a wise and hilarious man, as well as a creative genius, so I was glad to read his graduation speeches. Still, having several of his speeches in one book reminded me that even geniuses have formulas, and Vonnegut certainly had his own version of a speech. I found the formula a bit tiring after the first few speeches, but I did appreciate the chance to read some of Vonnegut's words of wisdom, and I have found myself saying, "If this isn't nice, what is?" all the time now!
on December 5, 2013
Vonnegut is a brilliant and thoughtful writer and lecturer. For those unfamiliar with Mr. Vonnegut, read this book as an introduction to his style, philosophy and wit.
on June 12, 2013
If you're familiar with A Man Without a Country, much of this book is going to be a re-read. Apart from two or three starkly original pieces, you can find the rest -- and more --in that book. Having said that, it was still refreshing to hear Kurt's voice again... :) PS - If you HAVEN'T read A Man Without a Country, do so!!
on May 15, 2014
Wisdom is hard to find especially when mixed with a sense of humor. I am giving to my granddaughter as she goes off to college. What a great start for developing one's personal philosophy. He hits the nail on the head every time. In fact, it makes a great gift for any occasion
on September 12, 2014
If you've read Vonnegut's fiction you won't find a lot new here but his graduation speeches do a good job of distilling his overall worldview. The speeches do repeat themselves a bit. Not to the point where you would say read one, read them all but enough that they echo each other. If you haven't read any Vonnegut and want a concise view into his opinions this is a great place to look. If you love his message as I do and want a book you can read to remind yourself of why you love his message this is a good book to have. My only caveat is that if you are well versed in Vonnegut you won't find much new here.
on July 28, 2014
I have admittedly read few of Vonnegut s complete works. For this I apologize and will try to do better. having recently met a gentleman and a scholar not to mention a mentor, who worked with Vonnegut I took to finding a great work. Instead I found this piece of summation. What a great way to become an author, by recording a dictation or perhaps copying a written so each. Regardless this is a book to file on the shelf of 'repeat reads.' To be picked up whenever I think I am too smart, too sad, too alone or too small. For this will get you moving better than petroleum and is a hell of a drug.
on May 9, 2015
Excellent. Kurt's perspectives are refreshing and honest. A very easy read. One that I've already done several times.
And the book's title is my favorite take-away. To stop and appreciate those moments of happiness. They're more frequent than you might think and they deserve to be noted. And reading Kurt's words are just such a moment.