Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon GoodGirlsRevolt GoodGirlsRevolt GoodGirlsRevolt  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Cycling on Amazon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 7, 2007 8:31:15 PM PDT
Dena 7 says:
This was one of the worst books I have read. Lisa Kleypas can do better. This book felt hurried and rushed. I also hated the fact that the story involved one of my least favorite wallflowers --- Lillian.

There just didn't seem like their was much cohesion around the main characters. I seriously doubt that I will read more in the way of the series. The series would have had a much stronger kick-off had she simply started with Win and Merripen, then gradually worked in Cam's story. As it stands, it was totally unbelievable.

She's too much of a pro to have put out such an amatuerish product.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2007 6:24:03 AM PDT
I totally agree. This is the worst Kleypas' book I've read. I am not so sure I like Win. Too sickly.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2007 5:26:08 PM PDT
M. Caballero says:
I really, really, really hate to agree, but very sadly I do. LK has been my favorite author for the longest time, but this book was a whole lot of nothing to me.
Cam had no passion, no intensity and the chemistry with Amelia just wasn't there.
Seems like this was just a introduction the the Hathaways than Cam's story.
I did like Win and Merripen a lot.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2007 1:08:27 PM PDT
Janeybravo says:
I didn't like this book very much either. I think maybe Lisa is sick of writing historicals. Her first modern-day was great, maybe she should just focus on those for a while.

I do disagree about Lillian. I love Lillian. She's not perfect like other Kleypas' heroines (ex. Sarah from Dreaming of You) but she's fun to read about.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2007 5:57:43 PM PDT
Loredans says:
I disagree. Although this was not my favorite Kleypas book, I enjoyed it. And I loved Lillian, her story is one of my favorites.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2007 9:01:56 PM PDT
Marchioness says:
There is no accounting for taste, is there?
I thought that this was a great book. I thought that the hero was simply wonderful. I could not get enough of him. He was everything that I wanted my hero to be.
My disappointment came from the fact that I thought the book could do with a few more chapters. It was ended rather abruptly with too many unanswered questions. I think that the mystery of Merripen should be answered in Cam's book. Just too much left hanging. And I was also a bit disturbed about the ghost aspect of the book. Had I known that there was any reference to ghosts, I would not have bought it as I am not into the paranormal genre.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2007 8:36:47 AM PDT
C. Galloup says:
I will admit I to was a little disapointed in this book. It did seem to me as if Lisa were simply using this book to close up the wallflower characters and use it to jump off into a new round of books around Amelia's family. Not that that is a bad thing, since I found the Hathaways very entertaining, but I found it a little sad that I was more interested in reading about Win and Merripen than I was reading about Amelia and Cam. Although I loved the characters Cam and Amelia I wasn't really that interested in thier romance.
I do wish that Cam got a little more than he got. When I was first introduced to him in Devil in Winter I was simply drooling in antisipation for his book. But instead of a passionate man I found am overly laid back, live and let live kind of guy that wasn't that fun to read about. There just wasn't enough edge to make him a really interesting hero. I guess I like them dark and troubled like Nick Gentry.
Plus, the brief references to ghosts did make me a little disturbed since Lisa's last experiment with the paranormal was in Prince of Dreams and was one of her worst books.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2007 12:58:33 PM PST
Amy Ferguson says:
I don't think this was horrible but just okay. LK's last "Wallflower" book wasn't all that great to begin with. I think she's devoting too much of her creativity to her new "Contemporary" genre. Her "Historicals" have suffered in the process.

They are just not up to par. Her last great novel was "Devil In Winter".

I was hoping that Cam would have ended up with Daisy. That pairing seemed more interesting than what it ended up as.

LK needs to stick with what she does best---- Historicals.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 5:07:37 PM PST
Cassandra says:
I thought the first 2/3 was great--unusual hero, reminded me a little of Flowers From the Storm with the cultural differences--all good. I really liked both of them until that point. Then when he proposed, he tried to sell her on his money--completely out of character. I was waiting for a scene where he's horrified for having thought that way, but it never came. And from then on, every time she wants to talk about how they will work out their very real differences, he shuts her up with sex. If a woman did that, she'd be called some very harsh names, but for a guy it's ok? LK tried to make up for some of that at the end by bringing up his Irish heritage more, It kind of felt like she didn't know how to work out their differences, either. More disappointing because the first part was really good.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2007 9:23:14 PM PST
I too hoped that Cam and Daisy would end up together. I loved DEVIL IN WINTER. I bought MINE TILL MIDNIGHT when it first came out but haven't read it yet. I went back to some contemporaries for a change of pace, then to some Medievals. I'll be disappointed if MINE TILL MIDNIGHT isn't good.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2007 3:44:22 PM PST
Deelze says:
I sooo agree with you...I don't think I like Win either, she is definitely not a good match for Merripan ( I hate that name by the way also).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2007 3:54:15 PM PST
Deelze says:
I agree with you on the fact the book sucked!! BUT Lillian being the least favorite wallflower???? Huh, did you read that book from beginning to end??? She was the most feisty and ballsy one of them all!! LOL!

Mine Till Midnight was just plain horrible and you are so right it seemed rushed and hurried. There was no chemistry, no zing, no nothing. It was hugley disappointing. All the other people who said this book was good...lied!!!

Your last sentiment is on the money...she is too much of a pro to have put out such an amatuerish product!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2007 8:17:35 PM PST
Em says:
i completely agree.

another thing that upset a little was that Cam never told Amelia his gypsy name, as Merripen did to Win. :( i just wanted to know.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2008 3:45:09 PM PDT
I have to agree. The onlyreason I bought this book was because of the Wallflower series. I was VERY disappointed. Cam was not interesting, sexy...just a big bore. The storyline had so much potential, but it fell flat on its face. I knew I would never read it again so I put it in my "donate" box.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2008 8:31:20 AM PDT
Italian girl says:
Hi, I have not read this one yet.. But, i just discovered Lisa Kleypas after being a huge romance reader since i was 13 and am now 39..I did want to read this one next..I assumed from Devil in Winter that Daisy would end up with Cam.. what happened??
also, I loved Lillian.. my least favorite wall flower was Annabelle.. she is too perfect I think..

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 6:10:22 PM PDT
I loved the book...could you write as well as Lisa Kleypas...I wish!!! it was entertaining and well done.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2008 9:59:19 PM PDT
Cornelia says:
this book was a total dud. I too was thinking Daisy & Cam, and yes he wasn't sexy at all...the only good part of this book was revisiting delicious Sebastian, Lord St.Vincent

Posted on Oct 23, 2009 1:39:21 PM PDT
i have just re-read this book - i didn't like it the first time and yet now after reading win's story and poppy's story, i can relate a bit more to amelia - i loved going back to read the history of the series - and i now appreciated it more (i absolutely love cam rohan, he's a favorite).

but i'd have to disagree with most of you, this is not her worst book, that dubious honor goes to "worth any price" - which has no point whatsoever, you don't quite understand why the characters even like each other let alone fall in love - honestly the only kleypas book i am considering throwing in the garbage - it's a shame bc i loved nick in "lady sophia's lover" and was expecting one h*ll of a story for him, a la nick gentry in "dreaming of you".

Posted on Jan 15, 2010 6:24:02 AM PST
Evieb says:
I loved this book. I would love a Cam of my own. Only problem was that I don't think Cam and Amelia's story was was given enough attention and developed enough. It did seem a bit rushed ,hard to fit all the characters and their stories in 384 pages.

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 12:17:55 AM PST
Mo says:
Devoured the Wallflowers series and loved them all - have started this and just cannot get into it - not sure if I will continue with the Hathaways or even finish this book and I usually finish a book no matter how bad - can't undertand it.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 12:38:12 PM PST
Debs says:
I don't think this book sucked but I don't think it was great either. It was merely...pleasant but somewhat lacking.

It was a nice introduction to the whole family and subsequent books, and Amelia and Cam are good characters but pretty much half way through the book, I felt like Kleypas did them an injustice. She introduced them to each other well but the development of their relationship seemed to lack passion and was very rushed. I didn't feel the chemistry between them at all. Their rapport was very bland and I think Cam was the main problem. Compared to Kleypas' other heroes, he was just downright boring, which surprises me because Kleypas usually writes men so well. Yes, he's a wonderful man and went above and beyond for Amelia but where was the intensity? Where was the intrigue? It just didn't exist. It was like Kelypas was so intent on having Cam attribute Gypsy words and sayings to everything that she forgot to give him depth. Despite all the build-up to his character from the Wall Flower series and his constant struggle with his identity crisis, I got the impression that Kleypas rushed through Cam's story and how he resolved to his "fate" in order to get it out the way because she didn't know how else to make it work. What about Amelia's aversion to marriage and inability to cede control? That too was rushed.

I did think Cam and Amelia had some good moments, but on the whole, their story which should have remained the focus of the book seemed to be relegated to something that was happening on the sidelines while the reader gets swept up in all the goings on of the Hathaway family. Don't get me wrong, I was enchanted with the Hathaways, but I found myself far more interested in Merripen and Win's relationship than Cam and Amelia's which is a shame. I agree with someone else who thought Win's story should have come first in the series so that we could see Cam and Amelia's relationship grow from there.

So not the worst - it was a good introduction to the other characters and I look forward to reading their books but this one was decidedly lacking.

Posted on Aug 16, 2013 11:17:57 PM PDT
Sam Mariano says:
I agree with you, this book was very disappointing. I couldn't stand co-dependent, martyr-Amelia, quite frankly. She didn't even seem like a historical heroine, and her brother... don't even get me started on Leo. There wasn't a single character in this book I cared about; I probably won't finish this series.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  21
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Oct 7, 2007
Latest post:  Aug 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about
Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, Book 1)
Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, Book 1) by Lisa Kleypas (Mass Market Paperback - October 2, 2007)
4.2 out of 5 stars (290)