Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Back to School
Customer Discussions > The Texas Chainsaw Massacre forum

This is why I don't listen to couch-critics

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 9, 2006 6:06:48 PM PDT
Brian says:
"....and whoever likes this obviously has never seen the originals or isnt a true fan of horror. i dont care what you say (...)"

This unnecessary and altogether ignorant statement closed out a review for this film that I just finished reading. It was posted here in January of this year. This is precisely the sort of asinine commentary that gets under my skin like nothing else.

How is somebody going to accuse a total stranger of not being a "true horror fan" simply because that person enjoyed a "pointless" remake over the original that inspired it? News flash, buddy! I didn't much care for the original 1974 film either. And, God knows, I've given it more than its fair share of chances over the years. Tobe Hooper's film just doesn't cut it for me. Marcus Nispel's 2003 remake got it right. I can say that because it's my opinion, and it certainly doesn't make me any less of a "true horror fan" than the jerk who made this immature comment!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2006 9:45:44 PM PDT
Cindy Mcgee says:
I agree with you. I've seen the remake and I'm going to see the original soon, I believe the remake is GREAT!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2006 9:49:04 PM PST
Shoe says:
I agree completely. I always thought the 1974 original was overrated hackwork. Most of the cast is annoying, and the overdone giggling and screeching of the cannibal family makes the last block of the film almost unwatchable for me. I much prefer Marcus Nispel's slick and scary remake, with Jessica Biel as a fiesty heroine who can do more than scream for thirty seconds straight while the camera zooms in on her eyes. The original is widely considered a classic, but was just never to my liking, despite my watching it every few years hoping to come away somehow enlightened. This remake is far superior, in my humble opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2008 12:31:12 AM PDT
KATE JONSON says:
The remake, made my "Bad horror" list

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2009 4:13:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2009 4:15:26 AM PST
Robt1031 says:
To Brian:

Dude, I relate, this is like totally haggard. If you believe these couch critics you'd think that the originals were better than the remake.

So, what I did was look up the professional critical reaction to see what they thought of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" '03. Just go to the Rotten Tomatoes site - they compile reviews from many different sources to get an accurate assessment of the film.

TCM '03 only got 35% positive reviews, which roughly translates to FAIL. I know, those professional critics hate horror films. Yea, right, try that one. The remake of "My Bloody Valentine" 3D got 59% positive ratings, why?, because it's a better made film than TCM '03.

Oh, for the record, a print of TCM '74 has been in the Museum Of Modern Art for decades. But what do they know, huh?

Posted on Apr 30, 2010 9:22:47 AM PDT
compsciguy says:
Rob Zombie ruined Halloween! That's all I'm saying.

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 6:40:34 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 9, 2011 6:32:23 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 14, 2010 12:23:43 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 8:27:53 PM PST
Lance Lust says:
1st things 1st: My Bloody Valentine 3D was just dreadful. If we're talking plot, it's plot was very predictable. If we're talking horror, I don't see it. TCM'03 was light years better than MBV3D. BTW, the original My Bloody Valentine uncut is on my top 10 list.

2nd, I happen to have loved the original TCM. It's one of my all-time favorite movies. It's a masterpiece in my eyes. But I also loved TCM'03. They did a superb job. The only thing I disliked was the absurd sheriff. I recall seeing the poster for this movie before I saw it and was over joyed that R Lee Ermey's name was on it, but I think his character was the worst part of the movie. But I still loved it. R Lee's performance didn't kill the movie for me (pun intended!) thank the horror movie gods!

Halloween, the original mind you, is also one of my all-time favorite movies. I didn't like Rob Zombie's And it wasn't because I'm sad that it trumped the original, because it didn't. And I accept that there are many people out there (The Brock Lesner of Reviewing - The Most...) that think otherwise, but that's okay; it's all just opinion.

Posted on Jun 30, 2011 4:48:04 AM PDT
compsciguy says:
Did you know that the original two TCM movies were invovled with some shady funding. There were deceptions, lawsuits, and even the mafia were involved! That's where the real massacre was...AFTER the films were released!

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 8:02:24 PM PDT
I am a die hard horror-freak...I grew up watching the Halloween movies, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm St. I was a little older when I first saw the original TCM. It was creepy and disturbing...I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. I write now, mostly for fun, but seeing the original as an adult I realized that the characters could have been so much better. I guess I didn't really find anything intriguing about any of them and while I love the horror genre, characters make a movie for me. I love the thrills of jumping in my seat but a movie has to have great characters for me to love it. I loved the original Scream; great characters, humor, great scares, and great plot twists. Now, back to TCM...I really really liked the remake. I thought it was very well done...creepy and disturbing just like the original but much more polished and I actually cared about the characters making it that much more horrifying to watch the carnage on screen. As for the Halloween remakes by Rob Zombie...the first one was okay, although I was bored during the too-long beginning when Michael was a child...and I just didn't buy Scout Taylor-Compton as Laurie. Maybe it's not fair of me to judge since I grew up loving Jamie Lee Curtis in the original, but I just didn't feel the depth in Scout's "Laurie" that I did in Jamie Lee Curtis' "Laurie". Sorry if I am rambling. I really disliked the H2, Rob Zombie version...it was nothing like the original Halloween 2, which I thought was very scary in that dark and empty hospital. I hated what Laurie's character had become and it was all just way too "out there" for me. I could have done without all the ghost of Michael's mom, scenes...they were just to far from the original movie for me.

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 10:57:38 PM PDT
Lance Lust says:
This is a Texas Chainsaw thread, but I wanted to get in on the Halloween topics here. I was probably a bigger fan of Halloween II than the 1st from when I was very young, but, for some reason, I now feel that the original is my favorite.

I had a similar reaction with Texas Chainsaw: the 3rd movie was always my favorite. But now the 1st one is my favorite. I also love the 2nd and 3rd, but the 1st is better. I also loved the '03 remake.

But, back off topic: Upon 1st glance I hated, no I loathed the Rob Zombie version. Now I feel that it isn't all that bad. I mean, the redneck/white-trash family living in the middle of what seems to be an upper-class neighborhood didn't win any believability for me, but the rest of it isn't all that bad. If you look past the 1st fifteen minutes or so of the movie with Ronnie cussing every other word, if you actually take the time to puzzle through it, you might be rewarded with something more than what it seems.

I was on the bandwagon decrying the movie from the start. But now that I'm thinking about it, I guess the 1st time I watched it I watched the unrated version, the 2nd time I watched the rated version, so maybe I'm wrong about this, maybe it was a bad movie, the unrated version, and the rated one is the better one...?

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 9:07:55 AM PST
compsciguy says:
Yes, Zombies Halloween rated R version is much better than the lame unrated director's cut. The Michael escape scene in unrated is VERY STUPID.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Sep 9, 2006
Latest post:  Jan 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre [VHS]
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre [VHS] by Jessica Biel (VHS Tape)