Truck Reviews Beauty Magazine Deals Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on January 25, 2018
The first of Thor trilogy introduces us not only to The God of Thunder but the actor who takes this role and makes it his own. Chris Hemsworth is fantastic as the egotistical, arrogant and upstart son of Odin. He is a hero to be praised, leading the armies of Asgard to victory. His accolades are many and he struts as only the hero and victor of a much beloved people can. But his arrogance is his undoing as he argues with Odin, wanting and demanding something be done about the Frost Giants, their eternal enemies, There is an uneasy peace and Thor wants to take them down. He is the God of Thunder but Odin is the King and he show his displeasure at his rebelious son's arrogance by removing his most prized possession, Mjolner, the hammer, stripping him of his powers and vanquishing him to Earth.
There he meets Jane Porter who while impressed by him manages to put him in his place. Meanwhile Loki, his brother is attemptig to mitigate the damage but he too is learning that there is more to him than he has been told. Confronting Odin he realizes the fragilty of his father, as the King Collapses. Lokie now is a position to take the throne, his anger at the circumstances of his birth at the forefront. He is intentent of making sure Thor never returns home. The final battle is one that takes us to the next installment of the Trilogy and also sends Loki on the path to the next Marvel movie, The Avengers. Tom Hiddleston is fantastic as Loki making it just as much his character as Hemsworth made Thor his. The effects are fantastic and Idris Elba is also great in his role as Hemdal. The first in a fantastic line of Marvel movies to come
8 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on March 12, 2015
I should have listened to the other reviewers, but I had to see for myself. It's true: The 3D has to be the most underwhelming, underutilized I've seen in any of my collection. Except for a very few select action scenes, it's like they forgot it was supposed to be 3D. Until the end credits, which look incredible, as if to say "This is what you could have had all along, sorry." (In fairness, I've noticed all 3D movies seem to really pull out all the stops for end credits. Why is this? Are they just easier?)

If you absolutely must try for yourself, I suppose you will (like I did). But if this is the first disc you're trying out on your great new 3D setup, don't be dismayed if it doesn't impress. There are some really great titles out there that do it right (like Avatar and Star Trek: Into Darkness. Check out the rest of my reviews on 3D movies for more). This one is a super-sized disappointment.
11 people found this helpful
on March 11, 2013
I'm one of those kids that read the original Thor comic book in the sixties by Jack Kirby and Stan Lee. I was a little bit afraid that my own experience with the original might make it difficult for me to like the film adaption. However, I actually did enjoy this film. I think Kenneth Branagh did a good job overall in this adaption, not a fantastic job mind you, but a good job. The movie does feel like a real honest-to-goodness Thor movie.

I wasn't sure what Asgard might look like in the live film compared to Kirby's cosmic splendors of the kingdom, but I did like the design and effects for the city of Asgard, so it worked for me. Btw, I also really loved the costumes. As for the script, I liked it although Odin's last remarks weren't anything that was illuminating or surprising.

On the actresses and actors: some of the quality of acting isn't up to what it should be. However, I really enjoyed Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston as Thor and Loki and thought they were both good choices for their parts. I was also delighted to see the Warriors Three in the film. However, I wasn't as happy about the lack of content and development for their characters: Hogan (Tadanobu Asano) really has nothing to say or talk about, Volstagg (Ray Stevenson) is not quite as weighty and as buffoonish as the rolling comic mass from the comic books (but that's okay), and Fandral (Joshua Dallas) doesn't have enough time or witty dialogue to bring forth his genuine swashbuckling mirth. The selection of those three, however, still made me happy that these characters were in the film and wish there were more time spent developing/deepening their personalities. I really liked Jaimie Alexander's Sif (hubba-hubba), but again we hardly get a chance to spend much time with them.

Odin (Anthony Hopkins) voice seemed too soft and mild for me. I always imagined Odin with a more bombastic or booming voice. Ah well.

Natalie Portman wasn't very interesting as Jane Foster -- but, as I recall it, Jane Foster in the comic book wasn't very interesting either. The other actor (Stellan Skarsgård) and actress (Kat Dennings) seem to be in it only for the ride, and so they had very little drama or content to grasp in order to act out anything interesting in any manner or form.

I gave the film three-out-of-five stars. I'm hoping in the next Thor movie we'll see more content and development from the side characters and not just only the leads
12 people found this helpful
on April 9, 2014
This is one of those movies I can watch over and over. While I do like Thor, the Dark World even more, this one sets everything up, revealing the complex love-hate relationship between Thor and his brother, Loki. It is here we learn about the events that set Loki on the path from being simply mischievous to the darkly psychopathic figure he becomes in The Avengers. The character of Thor changes as well, from a self-absorbed, spoiled, war hungry brat to a thoughtful, caring man who finally realizes the impact for good or bad his choices have not just for himself, but for those around him. Both character developments are the most interesting part of the movie for me. I like how Marvel Studios have made these movies appealing to both genders; typically, these kinds of movies are what my daughter refers to as "dick flicks". But Marvel has smart people running it and working for them, and they know how to create stories that appeal to everyone. Nicely done!
5 people found this helpful
on December 11, 2013
Out of all the marvel movies that are connected to this one, I have to admit it's not my favorite but I did enjoy it and recently saw the sequel Thor 2 which I like even better than this one. I can't talk anyone into liking or disliking a movie. Personally I enjoyed this movie, and I'm glad to have it in my collection. I would like to have all the marvel movies in this connected universe in Blu-ray the only problem I had was with the digital download.
First off it's not Ultraviolet.
Second the redemption code was missing even though I bought it new to make sure I got my redemption code.
Fortunately when I googled the issue I found Paramount Digital Copy websites and filled out a small form. A few days later I got an email with the code so that's nice. Apparently this is something that happens so at least some people are prepared. Still I'd prefer ultraviolet through flixster.
4 people found this helpful
on December 29, 2011
With "The Avengers" due for release in 2012, there might have been a temptation on the part of Marvel Films to not be thorough with the two releases of 2011, "Thor" and "Captain America: The First Avenger". The first of the two releases...did much to eliminate that line of thinking.
"Thor" plays well on two levels--as a story of intrigue and betrayal among Norse Gods, it seems as if it is "Hamlet" on steroids; but carries some moments of surprising humor and pathos. The humor strikes many who have known the Marvel character as surprising--after all, Thor and the fellow Asgardians have been primarily known for their Elizabethan English (The usage of "thee" and "thou") and Thor's own rather severe nature. Which is why credit must be given first and foremost to Kenneth Branagh. Branagh has certainly had a history with The Bard's works, having directed "Henry V" in 1989 and "Hamlet" in 1996. Certainly the Asgard part of the story--Thor's ascension to King of Asgard subverted by his half-brother Loki, and Loki's ascension to Odin's throne--plays as a Shakespearean tale...
But the earthbound part of the story--Thor's banishment to Earth, developing his relationship with the astrophysicist Jane Foster, and learning that a true leader will make sacrifices for the greater good--comes in a part of the tale which is at points humorous (If not laugh-out-loud funny), touching...almost endearing in many ways; while mixing in the action that superhero movies have to have.
Branagh mixes both elements of his Shakespearean training and more traditional leanings quite well here, and creates a very good introductory story.
Of course, it helps that the cast doesn't sleepwalk this out. Chris Hemsworth pulls a magnificent double in this movie (For that matter, Hemsworth and his wife--Elsa Pataky, who played the Brazilian police liasion to Dewayne Johnson in "Fast Five"--probably rolled in a bunch of money this past summer). Hemsworth captures a headstrong, willful, quick-to-anger warrior at the start; when cast out of Asgard without his powers he comes off as arrogant and spoiled--and maybe a little bit touched--but grows in the story. But Hemsworth also provides charm and a pretty good gift for physical comedy that enhances the characterization.
Tom Hiddleston's Loki steals the show. It is a brilliantly nuanced character that plays all sides against each other for his benefit, but Hiddleston gives the character a unique soul--angered at his origins and feeling deprived of his birthright, and willing to take out his anger on both his Asgardian family and the Frost Giants.
Anthony Hopkins and Rene Russo bring regality and power to Odin and Frigga--it is particularly nice to see Russo back at work after about a ten-year absence...Stellan Skarsgard plays Erik Selvig with a bemused look, but honest concern for Jane Foster; and Kat Dennings is a riot as Darcy Lewis. Among Thor's fellow warrior gods, Jaimie Alexander's Sif is a delight--she seems to lead the Warriors Three (Including Ray Stevenson's Volstagg--Stevenson seems on course to become a member of "The Mighty Marvel Movie Players", people who have done different roles in Marvel movies, since he played Frank Castle in "Punisher: War Zone...).
Natalie Portman's Jane Foster is notable..touching, and brilliant. Given that it follows her dark turn in "Black Swan", Portman has to call on a lightness and humor that hasn't been seen much with her. Her Jane is a brilliant woman with a bad dating history, and when she has Hemsworth's Thor drop out of the sky onto her RV, she's a little overwhelmed by the mystery and the slightly imperious (Though charming) behavior. The key sequence of the movie--when Thor proves himself a hero worthy of Mjolnir, the mighty hammer--is Portman at her best; sad at Thor's initial sacrifice to The Destroyer, but her shock at what happens when the hammer returns to Thor--her "Oh...my...god??!?" is priceless, as is her comments about Thor's usual clothing after defeating The Destroyer. To paraphrase that line, Jane is a good look on Natalie.
Notable among the special features is the "one-shot" where Clark Gregg's Phil Coulson, the SHIELD operative from the Iron Man movies does a little manipulating in a side-story (Which also explains a scene from "The Incredible Hulk"...).
Again, Marvel Films could have been very sloppy with this story, figuring that nothing really counts until the summer of 2012. But Kenneth Branagh didn't allow that, Chris Hemsworth couldn't allow that, and Natalie Portman wouldn't allow that.
Highly recommended.
on October 15, 2013
"We fell into human myth and legend..." Snorri Sturluson would have enjoyed this movie! I didn't know what to expect - what a great surprise! Director Kenneth Branagh brings depth to the writers story, and Natalie Portman adds a classy element. She quotes Arthur C. Clarke, that "Magic is just science we don't understand yet." And Science Fiction is a precursor to Science-fact. Of course Chris Hemsworth (excellent in Star Trek) is perfect, but a real treat is Stellan Skarsgård as scientist Erik Selvig, and Anthony Hopkins as Odin (plus ravens). Erik might laugh at the thought that Thor claims the old stories are true, but after the two have a few boilermakers, Thor carries him home, saying "We drank, we fought, he made his ancestors proud." Try Iron Man, Iron Man 3 first, and then follow this fun film with another ride, Avengers. We're looking forward to the sequel. Enjoy!
on August 1, 2012
I agree with the other reviewers who think the romance subplot needed more time. But compared with other action films, "Thor" is one of the most romantic of the genre. It's a very subtle romance, because that's how Branagh works. When Thor is exiled to Earth as a mortal, he finds himself dependent upon this feisty little human woman who not only helps him, but stands up to him and tells him to straighten up his act and think about other people for once. Hemsworth does a great job using facial expressions, body stance, and tone of voice to convey Thor's journey from bewilderment at her presumption to being intrigued and beginning to admire her, then wanting to please and help her, and finally, being willing to give up his life to save her. It doesn't hurt that he and Portman have great onscreen chemistry either.

Visually this movie is a stunner. The shots of Asgard, both exteriors and interiors, are gorgeous. (As a Terry Pratchett fan, I also loved that they made Asgard a discworld!) Loki is (as others have said) one of the best villains ever, because you can understand his pain and why he does what he does after he finds out the truth of his parentage. Hiddleston makes you believe that he means well and has some ambivalence about the things he does. He and Thor share the same hubris and pay a similar price, but there's no Jane waiting to help Loki get his priorities straight.
on August 27, 2011
I must have waited for what felt like a lifetime for this movie to come out and it was well worth the wait. I've only seen one movie that Kenneth Branagh directed and that was Frankenstein which I think came out more than 10 years ago. It wasn't great but decent enough. And I've only seen Chris Hemsworth in one movie, Star Trek for maybe 6 or 7 minutes (I thought he did really well for 7 minutes and for a relative unknown), Between the two, I thought this should be at least an interesting movie. But why I was really excited was the fact it was going to be a Marvel Studios made movie, and they tend to be very selective about their directors and main actors. Really did you think Iron Man was going to be as good as it was when it first came out? And I thought The Incredible Hulk was pretty good, at least much better than the first version. I thought Thor was really well done. Kenneth Branagh's Shakespearian background was evident throughout the movie. It had the right dramatic and subtle touches, all befitting the Norse Gods. While I thought Chris Hemsworth, Sir Anthony Hopkins and Natalie Portman were sincere and awesome, I thought the skill and subtlety of Tom Hiddleston was amazing. Unless you read the comic books, which I didn't, in the movie, you see what looks like overt support and respect Loki has for Thor but Tom Hiddleston plays it perfectly by ever so slightly giving you the sense that it's not all as it seems with Loki. And then there was Idris Elba as Heimdall. I've never seen him before, but I do look forward to seeing him again in Thor 2 (at least I really hope so). Heimdall isn't a big part but it's an important one and I really thought Idris Elba played it so well that he made the role even more prominent. You're wondering why I didn't give Thor 5 stars. Well, I loved the movie but two things stopped me from giving it five stars. One, I felt it should have taken a little more to turn Thor from an uncaring, arrogant God to a wiser, more benevolent God. I mean it just seemed all too fast and easy, it really should be harder than that. The second thing was the relationship between Thor and Jane Foster. I think that should have been developed more as well. At the end everyone saids that Thor really missed Jane Foster, but while I know there was a connection beginning there, I didn't feel like it was ever strong enough for him to miss her like that. Other than that, the story was coherent and well written, it was well acted, it moved right along and well directed. I'm looking forward to Thor 2 and the Avengers.
on January 31, 2018
You more or less have to see this movie. I think it's the 4th of the Marvel movies out of 16 movies that will be like 22 movies that all tie together one way or another. This is the set up movie for Thor and there wasn't a lot of time left for story by the time they were done with the set up but, it had to be made.
One person found this helpful