Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,834 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,260 reviews
on July 5, 2016
Marvel Studios appears to have another bona fide hit on their hands in the seventh-feature film of it’s superhero franchise, and the second of Phase 2, in THOR: THE DARK WORLD.

Sequels are a delicate proposition with the inevitable comparisons to the films that have come before. Fans continue to look for the next Godfather 2 or The Empire Strikes Back, and hope they don’t receive another Ghostbusters 2. Expectations (especially in this era of social media) can crush a film before it is even released - I’m looking at you Star Wars Episode VII.

All that being noted, Thor: The Dark World is another fine chapter in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Directed by Marvel-newcomer Alan Taylor (Game of Thrones), the story continues the emotional journey of the would-be Asgardian king as Thor continues to be torn between two worlds and family obligations. Chris Hemsworth once again brings the right mixture of seriousness, fun and larger-than-life persona that Thor is - not an easy trick to pull off. I would challenge this role may be even more difficult than playing the Man of Steel.

The Dark World opens catching the audience up with post-Avengers consequences for Loki (Tom Hiddleston by the way is once again delightful as the Prince of Lies and Marvel should really consider giving him a solo go at it because he is that good), while also setting up the story of the dark elves and their leader, Malekith (with a strong performance by Christopher Eccleston).

Besides our returning-Asgardian cast of Odin, Heimdall, Sif and The Warriors Three (although sadly they had less to do this time around), we also catch up with Jane Foster, Eric Selvig and Darcy. Avoiding all the traps of a sequel, we find our trio in new roles this time around. The best of the three is the madness in which envelopes Selvig after “having a God in his head”. It’s nice to see some real consequences to the characters from the events of the previous films, however viewers jumping in for the first time would definitely not be lost.

Speaking of consequences, there are some “oh no they didn’t” moments with characters that audience members won’t see coming, especially a terrific sequence with Thor, Loki and Malekith.

Fans of Walt Simonson’s seminal run on The Mighty Thor will not be disappointed, and there are quite a few easter egg moments, including an all-too brief cameo appearance by Thor’s first antagonist from the pages of Journey Into Mystery #103. The post title scene does not disappoint and sets up Guardians of the Galaxy as well as potentially Avengers 3.

Most of the action takes place on Asgard and other worlds of the nine realms, with the movie’s climax coming on Earth, which once again takes center stage. However, the heart of Thor: The Dark World is Thor’s split loyalties and the ultimate decision he needs to make, and just wait until the movie’s final scene on Asgard - cue Thor 3. Thor: The Dark World should not disappoint.
on January 8, 2014
First off, I have to say that if you're looking for solid science in this movie, you're barking up the wrong tree and should buy yourself some Stephen B. Hawking and let the rest of us just enjoy a rip-roaring fun movie. The reviews that called to task the science in "Thor: The Dark World" just make me laugh. After all, this is a Marvel Universe movie, one in which a gamma irradiated scientist turns into a green monster when he's mad and in which a super soldier can sleep in ice for decades and wake up to rock spandex and a shield. Who cares if Jane and Erik Selvig spout nonsense? I mean, come on, can you honestly say you know what would happen if a bunch of dark elves decide to return the universe to darkness? No? Right, so let's move on shall we. "Thor: The Dark World" kicks cinematic butt, picking up where "The Avengers" left off with Thor putting out fires across the 9 Realms and Loki being kicked to the curb...er, dungeon...for trying to subjugate us poor Midgardians. When Jane Foster -- who is understandably bummed because her man didn't call even when he was in New York (really, Thor, you couldn't have checked in after the schwarma date with the other Avengers?) -- stumbles on this cool looking red stuff that The Big Bad Dark Elf Malekith wants, it sets in motion the events that lead to Thor forming a complicated alliance with Loki. That alliance is at the heart of the movie and provides the most riveting scenes. Good friends in real life, Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston know Thor and Loki respectively, inside and out, and give them depth and texture that in many ways make the Marvel Thor series the richest in terms of characterization. In particular, Hiddleston's Loki is psychologically complex and sympathetic while never losing his essential mischievousness. Loki is one of the most compelling villains in modern cinema thanks to Hiddleston. In "Thor: TDW," Stellan Skarsgard and Kat Dennings also shine, providing much of the comedy. Other high points of the movie are the look of Asgard and the rousing original score by Brian Tyler. There's a lot to love in this movie. Just don't expect a science class...
on December 26, 2014
The Dark world is a continuation of Thor and Loki's story after the events of The Avengers. Loki is brought back to Asgard and thrown in prison. Christopher Eccleston plays the lead bad guy Malekith, who is trying to not only bring down Asgard, but gain power over the 9 realms by taking advantage of the realms converging. Thor ends up breaking Loki out of prison to help him track down Malekith.

Of course the movie is heavy on action and special effects, which look and sound great on blu ray. They tell enough of a story and do try to in a sense resolve the Thor/Loki storyline (at least from one of the character's standpoint), and also did a good job with, at least for the first part of the movie, avoiding the question of why not just get the Avengers to help? Theoretically they could have assisted in the final battle, but in the Asgard and Dark World battles there was no way for them to get there. That said, Captain America does make a pretty hilarious cameo.

The movie also rekindles the Jane/Thor relationship as he continues struggling between his duties to Asgard and his feelings for her. Kat Dennings and Stellan Skarsgård reprise their roles, but neither are really given much to do. Dennings is really there for comic relief, which she does well, and to an extent Skarsgård is as well. While Jane is central to the plot, there are times when she cannot do anything because she is basically sitting on the sidelines of battles between essentially immortal beings (at least as compared to her).

By this point you really have to look at the Marvel Movies (and even to some extent Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D) as one big intertwined story. This definitely had the feel of a filler movie to get to Avengers 2, where we know more will happen. Unlike Winter Soldier, which I think was on par with, if not better than First Avenger for Captain America's story, I do not think this worked as well as the first Thor movie. Partly because I think the fish-out-of water, god with no power on Earth thing had a great comedic element that this movie did not, and could not based on the story. That said, if you are a fan of the genre and the whole "Marvel Universe" movies I think it is worth checking out.

For those who get the actual disc, as I said, the movie looks and sounds great on Blu Ray. For bonus features there is a mockumentary on The Mandarin (the villain from Iron Man III) that was included here for some reason. Then a multi-part making of/behind the scenes feature on the movie and the story. A first look at Captain America 2, a gag reel, deleted scenes and a feature on scoring the movie. All in all, good for what is there, with about an hour plus worth of extra content.
I rented The Dark World specifically to see Doctor Who Christopher Eccleston as the villain Malekith. In a film full of exaggerated and prolonged fx battle sequences, Christopher Eccleston's performances are solid and make this film a must-see. Thor himself is performed well and I like the relationships in the films. Loki is even more fun this time around as we never quite know what he will do next.

Overall I think it's a good film and definitely worth renting again.
on June 30, 2016
Great movie....liked better than first mostly because Loki had more screen time. Chris Helmsworth is great in title role, but Tom Hiddlestons tortured sensitive, yet scheming and cold Loki is my fav villain since the great Alan Rickman. He steals every scene. Great job by all the cast, great story and effects. Awesome chemistry between Loki and Thor..excellent casting choices. Hope to see Loki many more times....you just cant take your eyes off him when he is on screen, This role for him will go down as a classic...he captures the catlike strut, yet vulnerability of one who deep down just wanted equal time to Thors. Chris and his intense interactions are some of the best cinema has seen.
on January 3, 2016
I love all Marvel movies that come out. While I can say I really enjoyed this movie it wasn't five stars to me. It wasn't bad by any means. It just felt a little dragged on at some points that could have been taken out. I love Jane, I do. But sometimes I feel like she needs to be doing much more as character when she's with Thor or she needs to be on Earth away from him. She didn't do much of anything important for me in this movie. If she had been more proactive and shown she was going to fight and stand off against the others it would have been very interested.

Thor doesn't want her hurt and I understand that but she needs to show she's just as strong as him even if she might not be.I can say that the ending had me very excited for Thor 3. The ending is what made me really enjoy it. With Loki, it will set up a whole bunch a craziness that will happen with Thor.
on March 29, 2014
While it still mostly on par with the first THOR, this sequel feels bigger while also losing a lot of the human connection which made the previous one enjoyable. There are some fleeting moments of humor, but there's also a lot of gloom and doom. In THOR: THE DARK WORLD, Thor has to save the universe (Avengers anyone?) from Malekith and the Aether. Sure, there's some half-baked scientific explanation for all of it but the end result is a little disappointing. Malekith was a cool-looking villain, but not very engaging or charismatic. There were also a few too many narrative conveniences, a couple involving Loki's ability to impersonate other people. Nevertheless, it was entertaining and kind of what I've come to expect from Marvel. The acting is very good, as is the action and visual effects. I still don't buy Natalie Portman as a scientist, but oh well. This isn't Marvel's best, but Phase 2 is going pretty good so far. If you've liked Marvel's previous entries, you should like this one too.
on October 29, 2016
Ok movie, the teens in the house liked it better then I. I prefer superhero movies that the whole family can watch. I thought the violence was too intense and relentless (even for a superhero movie). So while my 8 year old saw other superhero movies like spiderman and Guardians of the Galaxy we left this one off limits for the younger kids in the house and let the teens watch it after bed.

Also I have to say Thor is my least favorite marvel superhero. If you like Thor you will like this movie, but if you prefer other superhero's watch those first. But of the two Thor movies my teens had me watch I like this one less than the other one.
on June 17, 2014
This is another big time winner in my book. The moments where you want to pump your first and say, "YES!" are all over this movie. Hero comes back and restarts relationship with pining girlfriend, YES! Great effects, check. Awesome villain and really nasty minions, Check. Lots of magically weapons, check. You get to see characters that are evolving into favorites, check. All the realms in dire straights, doom a certainty, check.

Bummer: People die that will be missed by all. Beloved characters murdered. And the righteous fury is now due.

But seriously, this is a better than average for Marvell. Iron man. Spider man. Superman. All have made a triumphant return to the big screen making us old geeks, not so geeky anymore. When I tell my 24 year old son that I was reading about Thor when I was twelve he just can't stand it. Sheesh, young people. They think they invented everything. But this Thor has, I have to admit, a whole load of 'More Awesome' than what I read when Led Zepplin was #1 on the charts.
And Lokie...wow...Lokie turns out to be one of my favorite Marvell heroes of all time. He, perhaps, makes the biggest "YES!" moment of the whole movie when he turns out to be a decent sort, in his own way; " don't trust me brother...trust my rage!" That is perhaps one of the coolest phrases put in a Marvell.
on March 6, 2015
I was a comic buff in my young days but THOR in my day was a little known hero. Thor comic books were flimsy, not much content, and was not as detailed illustrated like what we called the 'real' comic books, Superman, Batman, Spider-man for example. As pre junior high-schoolers we look at THOR when seeking a comic character to draw as the less details suited our artistic capabilities. Hence while I knew of the character, I knew little about the real story. After reading the many reviews about how this 2nd Thor movie really fleshes out the characters, and looking at the stated running time of just under 3 hours, I say here is my chance to get up to speed.

You see, this 2nd Thor movie is not yet offered for rental by streaming online, which is the only way I have time to view movies in between working on my New Store Business Project these days. Thinking myself a frugal spender I come up with a plan to get in all the recent Thor outings. I rented and watched THOR 1st movie. I rented and watched the Avengers, and I decided to shell out the extra bucks and purchased this 2nd THOR movie thinking well at least I will get 3 Hours worth of entertainment and updates on the THOR story.

Boy was I WRONG and DISAPPOINTED. Plain and simple, I felt CHEATED. First, the actual running time of the Movie is a measly 1 1/2 hours. The rest are trailers and studio plugs available free elsewhere. Secondly, there is nothing more to be learnt of THOR. So now I see why the THOR comic books of my day were flimsy. This 2nd movie is just some of the same from THOR and his same entourage from the 1st movie. I can't say more of the same cause it is less, this 2nd movie is way shorter than the 1st movie!

I gave it 3 stars yes because as far as the Producers, Directors, Writers and Actors go they all did pretty much as good a job as they did in the 1st movie - the writers and producers calling on the mythologies of that era and the sciences of today to provide content and the actors on their rather impressive talents to bring the movie to life. I see no exceptional difference as noted in the many other reviews, so if you want a little bit more of the same this will do.

I would give it 4 stars as a $2 online streaming rental, but at the $15 buy price for the SD version and the $20 asking price for the HD version I can't. I paid for the SD version and I feel really cheated. If Amazon was offering a Money Back Guarantee, I would apply for it and offer to pay $2-$3 for my viewing.