Truck Reviews HPC Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on September 29, 2012
I'm surprised there are no reviews for this yet, as "The Frost Chronicles" is really engaging and a cut above many of the dystopian YA novels out at the moment. I read both Frost and Thorns in the span of a day, and while that's not unusual for me, it's definitely been a while since such a series has left an impression on me!

The world Ellison has crafted is mysterious and beautiful--she hasn't just fallen back on the "Oh, we're in the ruins of [insert major U.S. city here]" lazy world-building that seems to dominate this genre. While the underlying theme may not be terribly original, its presentation feels very unique and lets the story stand on its own. The characters are all multidimensional and relatable. Lia's far from perfect (despite her new paramour's protestations to the contrary...) but her devotion to her siblings despite her frustrations with them makes for a sympathetic and fundamentally likeable heroine.

Ellison is a very articulate writer, and her prose is mature enough that I almost hesitate to categorize this as YA. Almost... the drawn out constantly hinted at--but never addressed until the end--romance of the second book occasionally exasperated me. Especially compared to the much more subtle romance in the first novel. There is a far more fascinating plot to be found in the political intrigues working their way up to the Frost and the rapidly-encroaching military rule. In contrast to that, the over-wrought exchanges between Lia and Adam just seem needlessly added in to provide the obligatory love triangle. I like romance as much as the next person, but I definitely would've liked to see more action with the actual plot in this book. There's just so many questions yet to be answered--I hope the author reveals more of what's actually going on in the next installment. That being said, Thorns wrapped up with an exciting development for both aspects to the story and I'm looking forward to seeing where things go from here.

My feelings about this series are largely positive. I would highly recommend it to fans of the genre, as despite the short page count and the fact that it's self-published, it is far more well-written and professionally edited than a lot of similar series I've purchased (for much higher prices) in recent months. Suffice it to say, I will enthusiastically purchase the next book when it comes out!
8 people found this helpful
on March 3, 2015
I didn't find this book as enjoyable as the first one, although it still kept up a good pace and developed the story further in an interesting way. None of the story developments seemed intrinsically major, though, which was disappointing.
Another thing that bugged me is the sight of what looks like yet another love triangle. I'm so sick of them. I'm especially fed up with female protagonists who fall over themselves with love for someone until he's not around then latch on to the next convenient man. I'm being a bit cynical in my statement here, as Lia's feelings aren't quite as shallow as that, it just feels that way when she moves on to the next logical male protagonist when the first one has to leave. It certainly soured my opinion of this book. However, I am interested in seeing where the story goes so I will read the next one as well.
One person found this helpful
on December 14, 2017
Loved this book! The pace, the beauty and the suspense is incredible. I cannot believe the twists and turns that the plot takes you and the emotion it brings out in you. Each book gets better and better—normally don’t read a lot of this genre BUT this series makes me love it! I can’t wait for the next one! Incredible!
on March 12, 2014
This book is kinda like book four of Game of Thrones, at least the first 3/4 or so. You REALLY need to read book one (Frost) of the series to follow all the events of this book. This one has more twists and turns, many more revelations and the occupation by the farthers really begins to anger the frost people. Lia, of course, takes risk after risk but at least she seems to becoming more a part of the community now. If you liked the first book the surprises at the end of the book will knock your socks off. Even though this was above a 4 star, it did not quite make it to 5...heck of a good read....shu.
on April 6, 2013
I was told these books were really good and I did decide to read the series but they took me a long time to finish. Over all the plot and story is an interesting twist on the futuristic distopian society but the story was so slow. I felt like at times that nothing happened for chapters on end and the main characters constant debate on what to do both in the first and second book makes me kind of hate her character. Read the book if you don't have anything better to do because it isn't horrible and I actually enjoyed a lot of things about this story but there isn't enough good to out weight the bad to make me read it again.
One person found this helpful
on December 5, 2017
The plot, characters and tightness of this second book is outstanding. Clean, decisively written. Sharp, focused characters. Very nice plot with lovely, kept me reading twists. Best of the series! So far!
on October 9, 2014
They always say the second book in a series is the hardest to write. If it was, it didn't show with this one. Ms Ellison did a FANTASTIC job and nailed it. I loved Thorns! It picked up pretty much where Frost left off, just a few months later. There is so much character development in this one. I have so many favorites now, I just love it. The story gets more intense and so many things happen in this one. I didn't want to put it down! I can't wait to see what happens next!!!
on November 5, 2012
First I must tell you that I'm 62 years old and have been an avid reader all my life. I have read quite a few "end of the world" books lately and agree with some who say that they seem to run along the same line most of the time. Strong girl who doesn't know she has power that saves the world. I got interested in this type of book after reading Hunger Games. The Frost Chronicles are not the usual strong girl with powers. She is strong when it comes to her brother and sister and has a strong sense of right and wrong. She wants to help people who have been under the control of a horrible government and is not aware at first that the government that she lives under is just as horrible in it's own way. She meets a boy that she falls in love with but they can't stay together and she saves him in Frost. This book is the second in the series and talks of the changes in her life and a new..... well I won't go there. You'll just have to read it. I highly recommend this book.
9 people found this helpful
on October 29, 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the other one Frost in the series. I thought the imagery and descriptions of the the bleak existence of the people in the town of Iceless were a wonderful escape into the lives of Lia, Jonn and Ivy. The perilous escapes after dark from the Watchers and the tyrany and takeover of the Farthers moved the story along so quickly. The romantic triangle of Lia, Gabe and Adam and the adventures of finding the Gate at Eclos and the mystery of the technology that Lia's parents hid from her were all elements for a wonderful story.
on November 12, 2012
Book 3 needs to show up like now! Usually in most YA literature that I read, the sequels don't really live up to my expectations, but Thorns is one of the rare few that did!

The end of Frost was a HUGE cliffhanger that made me so anxious to get into Thorns, and the end of Thorns was exactly the same! So many plot twists showed up in this book that I never would've suspected! We get to learn more about Lia's parents and the Thorns, and about Adam Brewer and the other supporting characters like Leon, Everiss, and Ann.

Speaking of Adam, oh my goodness is he adorable! *sigh* Honestly, he just sounds like such a sweetheart, and I love how he blushes when Lia gets too close to him. It's nice to see a male protagonist that isn't a complete douche bag and is actually a little nervous when around women. I really missed Gabe in this book, and I hope we get to see more of him, too! I'm really interested to see where Kate takes this triangle as the series continues! Adam or Gabe? Gahhhh Decisions, decisions...

The plot was slower in this book than the first one, and I think that's part of the reason why it took me so long to get through it. I loved the action that DID show up, but it took a little too long to get the ball rolling.

May I just say that I think Korr is one of the most intriguing characters EVER. I have no idea what his deal is, but I intend to find out sooner or later. He sounds pretty cute, too, even for a villain. *wink*

Loved it! So excited for book 3 in 2013! :)