Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 37 reviews
on September 5, 2011
I downloaded this book and then read several others while this one just sat ignored. I don't know why I passed it over so many times. A mistake on my part for sure. I loved the book.

Mary has ditched her husband and hometown to live her dream of being a chef. While she has spent most of her life passive to the point of submissive, she is starting to realize that to have what she really wants in life she has to make a stand. Kegan her eventual boss and lover is a control freak with the redeeming quality of self awareness.

What Is great about this story is that both main characters have flaws that they recognize and work to correct. I hate when one person is portrayed as virtually flawless. Instead we see good people trying to be better at love and life and the reflection and effort it takes to make such an attempt. The conclusion was wonderful with a compromise that allowed both to grow and still hold onto each other and the careers they had worked so hard to achieve.

Great character development, even really liked the secondary folks with two notable exceptions but both were necessary to show the growth of Mary and Kegan. Brian and Crystal were oh so familiar people that we all know and dislike.

I will definitely read more by this author and next time I won't let the book languish for weeks until it gets read.
on July 10, 2013
What a lovely surprise! I'd read two of the author's other stories and truthfully, I am not sure what possessed me to read this one as well. I'm glad I did, though, as it is almost nothing like the other two!

In this book we were not shortchanged: we got to know our characters, Mary, an aspiring chef, and Kegan, a restaurant owner, learn their back story(-ies) and then enjoy them together as a couple. (This author, at least in the other two books of hers I've read, waited until the last moment to join the couples after a painfully protracted story, so we were left without getting to enjoy any of the "happily ever after" or whatever. As a reader, I want that. I want to enjoy some of their ride and no, I am not being cutesy to describe sex, although that can certainly be fun! In this book there is some sex, tastefully described, and that's its own kind of fun, of course ....)

Again, another recurring theme for this author is to have female leads who have crippling self-esteem problems and man is it a drag. In this story, Mary does have some baggage but it is not overwhelming and she is actively, from the get-go, working on establishing her independence and her worth. She made sense to me and her transformation felt organic.

Got a kick out of it -- a sweet story.
on August 23, 2011
This book was so great! Its about Mary, an aspiring chef, who moves to Toronto to get away from her ex-husband and start a life for herself. She has no job and it looks like she is going to have to go crawling back to her parents. She finds the determination that she has always had to get the career of her dreams and ends up getting even more than she bargained for. My favorite part about Heather Wardell, and her books is that she ties in many of her past characters. You get to meet back up with Tess, Forrest, Pam, Magnus, Jen, Ian and Candice... I like that you never have to fully say goodbye to any of her characters and everyone ties back into one another. This story was heartwarming and I'm so glad that things are going right for Kegan! "Go Small or Go Home" is one of my favorite books and I have read it multiple times. Before you read this one, I would definately read it. Enjoy! :)
on August 31, 2011
I got my first Heather Wardell book about a month ago while on vaccation and haven't stoped reading her books since.Can't wait for her new book to be released in September :) I am facinated by the style she writes, love the characters and enjoy reading the books again and again. I enjoyed her "Canada Series" as she calls them, the most. I enjoyed to see character coming back even if they were in other books.I can only recommend Heather Wardell's books specially if you are looking for romance, humor and a good dose of tears once in a while as well. Also what I loved is that I got the "Canada Series" not in the order they might have been attempt to be read but it didnt make a difference. No matter which book you start with they all tie together somewhere along the line. I can not wait for more books to come out by this wonderful Author. Thank you Heater Wardell :)
on August 28, 2011
Good stuff, as Kegan said quite frequently. Although Mary loved Kegan she couldn't put up with a control freak. A decision had to be made. She made hers and he made his. Well, she went with his because although she wanted to stand on her own two feet, his decision made her happy. Heather Wardell is a fine writer. This eBook was hard to put down. The characters are believable and the story is about a situation many women have had to face--Career or love? I felt for Mary throughout the story, knowing how hard it is to decide to either give up a wonderful career for a man she loves, or to give up a man she loves for a wonderful career.

Carole McKee, Author
on November 16, 2012
I bet the food was delicious, though fictional. I also love to cook (and eat) so I can imagine what wonders spices can do to a dish, even dessert. But food is not the main focus of this story. It's a love story between the chef and the restaurant owner, which to my palate is just too sweet and mushy.

This is the fourth romance book by this author that I've read one after the other. I was good until the third, but by this fourth book, I thought I shouldn't have done the continuous reading.

I'm still giving this three stars, to be fair. It was mushy, yes, but one can only take so much.
on August 9, 2012
Although an entertaining read, as a professional female chef by trade, this book was at times painful to read. The authors description of the restaurant industry was not realistic. I imagine professional detectives have the same experience when they read novels based on their profession. Overlooking that, it is a light romance type girly novel. Nothing very original but a good quick summer read. And if you are a female restaurant chef looking to buy this book, go ahead but consider yourself warned!
on September 3, 2016
A lighthearted read, but very enjoyable, I like the characters, and it was easy reading, ideal for holidays
on September 22, 2014
I enjoyed the characters in this book and liked knowing I had already met one of the main characters and some of the others in the Go Samm or Go Home book. This kept my interest and I am already looking forward to reading the next book in the Toronto Series.
on July 27, 2014
This was the first book that I read written by Heather .....not only did I fall in love with the characters but I fell in love with Toronto through Heathers descriptive writing! Toronto is now on my bucket list thank you Heather!