Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Those Crazy Notions of Otherwise Intelligent People: A Novel Paperback – January 7, 2016
|New from||Used from|
About the Author
Joel Michael Dorr is a Wyoming storyteller with a passion for writing, basketball and movies. Dorr began writing for television and film later becoming the editor of DramaBiz Magazine. He now lives in San Diego, California, with his rambunctious and tolerant business partner wife, their snarkey and talented youngest son and dog, Lola.
If you buy a new print edition of this book (or purchased one in the past), you can buy the Kindle edition for only $0.99 (Save 80%). Print edition purchase must be sold by Amazon. Learn more.
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Browse award-winning titles. See more
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
I can’t say enough about "Crazy Notions." Seriously. It was that good. Percy Powers is the character that we all want to read about, even when we know he’s no good for us. He has that certain something that makes you instantly drawn to his acerbic personality. Deep down, he’s got a good heart. There’s so much of him that wants to do the right thing, even when he places himself in the wrong place, at the wrong time nearly every time.
Ilena is trying hard to move on with her life. The dedication she puts forth to women in need stems from her own past, skeletons in the closet she’d rather keep buried for eternity. It’s easier to shut herself off from the chaos in the world, focusing primarily on her son. He’s seen his own share of tragedy, and she feels partly responsible. It was interesting to see the gentle give and take between mother and son, and the dynamic element that Percy brings to the table when he interacts with those two. In some moments, there are two steps forward, three larger steps back. Moving in such a way that would totally be relatable to anyone who has been in the position of trying to mend a rough patch. It’s slow going, at times cathartic.
What I enjoyed the most is the comedic timing and humor in this novel. It was funny and very charming, a lot like Percy, I imagine, with a steely wit submerged into various elements of emotion and drama. My hope is that sometime in the distant (or not so distant) future, that there will be a sequel for Percy, Ilena, and Sammy, not to mention the other remarkable characters who made "Crazy Notions" the awesome read it is. I'd love to see where their journey takes them, for better, or for worse.
Sunny San Diego was the perfect backdrop for a funny love story between two hotties. I enjoyed getting to know the different characters and imagining them in the crazy twists that developed throughout the book. The main characters were flawed and vulnerable but were also smart leading to some revealing conversations. The author wasn't afraid to use a wide assortment of characters, giving the book more substance and the main characters more depth.
Loved the book cover design! Short chapters are good and even though the book was twice or more pages than I expected it was definitely not boring!
• The size of the print was easy to read and the writing style coincided with the way I interpret when I read.
• I loved the San Diego references, because after having lived in San Diego while growing up and loving San Diego it was a nice connection visually and mentally.
• Percy Powers was handsome and likable so he could “get away with stuff!” Even in his flawed and dysfunctional persona there were other redeeming qualities that Tiger brought out of him.
• Tiger, having no doubts and total trust, was a light to Percy and showed up in his life to be that!
• Ilena was damaged and had self-doubts…. although she shouldn’t have, crazy notions I guess!
• Sammy, her son, decided to give her the “silent treatment” for the death of his father!!! Only, deciding to speak after being with Percy and Tiger.
• I enjoyed this story and had a little trouble with some of the supporting characters at first. Once I got to the middle of the book in Chapter 33 I was engrossed and read all the way to the end!
• I also want to mention that I did laugh out loud several times!
• Joel, you have a wonderful writing style that “fleshes out” the characters so descriptively
• that they become alive in your mind! I’d love to hear more about Percy Powers and his escapades!
• Also, about Percy’s previous years, what made him like he was?
• A realistic tale of the meanderings of the human soul on earth, and the mind bending journeys we imagine, as we perceive…...”THOSE CRAZY NOTIONS of Otherwise Intelligent People!”
• Congratulations Joel on spinning the wheels in your mind and delighting us with the fun!!!
• Linda Hartley
• April 27,2016
Most Recent Customer Reviews
waiting for the next...Read more