Salon Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 3, 2017
I tried. I looked up the description of what this book is about again yesterday because it seems to be a different subject than what is on the cover. I made it 30% through. I struggled, the first 30% of this book is very research driven and while I liked hearing the case studies, it still hasn't given me an inkling of when it's going to tie in with the title or get to anything in the description of the book. I wish I would have read more reviews on it before I bought it. Maybe I will come back to it, but it is a lot of work to get through so far.
on August 31, 2016
So good, I've ordered everything else she's written. I'm also contemplating signing up for her parenting class. That being said, this is geared toward women. I understand that her later books include studies involving men, so my husband and I are both planning to read them.
on September 29, 2017
This book saved my life. So grateful for it. I love her writing style and the way she makes you feel like you aren't alone.
on October 13, 2017
Brene Brown is amazing and this book is a great place to start. So many gems that I will never ever do this justice. Important research and incredibly valuable for parents, teachers, bosses, HR, coaches, everyone!
on August 27, 2015
Brene Brown is my new favorite "self-help" author. Ever since I stumbled upon her TED Talks, I have been devouring her books. She give useful, measured advice about how to handle the challenges of being a modern woman with all of the expectations of the world placed on her shoulders. This book, helped me sort out what is truly important in life and start living for myself as well as those that love me and depend on me.
on July 28, 2015
This book is amazing. Honestly, I'm only half way through it, but I love it so much I've recommended it to so many people. It's a must read for anybody. It's about shame and empathy. How we can better understand ourselves and others so we can help to heal ourselves and others. I can't wait to read more of her work.
review image
on August 1, 2017
I would rate it 1/2 stars if I could. I really wanted to like this book, but I found it lacking in practical advice. It was filled with too much research and other women's stories. Initially, that was a good thing as it makes you feel like you are not the only one. But after a time it became more like commiserating around the feelings of shame instead of offering hopeful solutions. I also found the the book's flow to be a bit disjointed. I think Brene Brown has a wealth of knowledge on this subject, but this was not a very helpful book for me. It left me feeling a little hopeless at the end to be honest.
on October 29, 2016
Wonderful insights! Very relevant content and a great way to explore oneself further and get a better understanding of how our relationships and interactions with others can be tainted by feelings of shame, guilt, inadequacy and other conditioning.
I listened to it two times already!
on December 2, 2015
It was Very insightful and at times very difficult to read and absorb how much Shame has a stranglehold on me! The exercises in the book likewise are difficult to two but well worth the time I have already purchased all of Brene's books and will work my way through them in order as I reall like her writing style and the good results I have reached already!
on January 16, 2014
I did not get much out of this book, though recommended by a friend. I think it was repetitive and not very well written. For example, the author would refer to "three" features or "12" features of something, and not tell you what they are for quite a while. I was left wondering. Most of it is quite "talky" with case studies. I really like this author's TED talks, so maybe that's a better way to go.