Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Big & Rich PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 323 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 478 reviews
on January 29, 2016
..to write this review.

First, I had to pull out the dictionary a few times. It's been many a moon since I had to do that. Second, the elementary vocabulary I have to use to write this review pales in comparison to Campbell's vernacular.

With that being said, I putting this in my Reference Section in my personal library. What a great read!
on January 14, 2016
This is the an incredible resource for decoding storytelling. After reading this book, you see these narratives everywhere. I watched Nacho Libre the other night and there was 'the hero's journey' laid out plain and simple and so beautifully and comically portrayed by Jack Black and Hector Jimenez.
on September 17, 2017
I have really enjoyed this book so far, and its been a great conversation starter! I'm pleasantly surprised at how many people have read this book, and all of them have varied opinions. I love the stories and various cultural perspectives. I've used at least one of the stories (regarding the African farmers fighting over the man in the multi-colored hat) multiple times, and gaining that new perspective alone has been worth the price of the book.
on April 15, 2017
I've watches Star Wars in different stages of my life. Joseph Campbell's Hero With a Thousand Face changed my perspective on how I watch and read everything in my life. Some of the best spiritual nutrition you can get.
on May 17, 2017
Interesting read.
on October 27, 2015
I've always enjoyed Campbell's easy writing and insights. This is a must read for anyone who wants a deeper insight, not only to fiction writing and the hero, but also to one's own journey through life. It also provides great fodder for the aspiring fiction writer.
on June 5, 2017
I wish they taught me this at school. Essential reading for anyone who crafts stories. Nontrivial vocabulary. Prepare to be transformed.
on October 23, 2014
An illuminating view of mythology, how the same basic structures and themes have recurred throughout time in all cultures. Joseph Campbell, with his wise yet very readable voice in this work and also in his "Masks Of God" series, opened my eyes to looking at the world from a broader point of view. I see now where modern Christianity, Judaism and Islam fit into a larger historical record and that they are not the only paths to communing with the divine. Indeed, there are more things in heaven and earth than what I was "taught" in school.
on May 7, 2017
Great ideas. Once I saw an edition with more illustrations . But this edition is handy. It makes me want to visit the references to get into the heart of the myths themselves
on September 18, 2017
Wonderful...timeless...not for anyone who's afraid of the 'dark' side of the 'force'.