Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Acoutsic Christmas STEM Limited time offer Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Thread on Arrival: An Embroidery Mystery
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on April 8, 2015
I have enjoyed the previous titles in this series but I find myself getting tired of main characters who are so clueless...she teaches stitching for abused women and then chats away to friends, husbands of friends, friends of friends about the class and the people in it. Goes to try and help someone leave and then chats away in the coffee shop so that everyone can overhear...and I stopped there...barely into the story because I am just tired. Can we get someone who isn't quite so ditzy? Please?
on March 14, 2015
I really liked this book at first but as it went on th characters became more and more annoying. Their decision making skills were horrible and the whole story just veered into unbelievable territory. I'd figured out the killer halfway through the story, that didn't bother me but the reveal of the killer was abrupt and made no sense. There's was absolutely no set up for the rationale of the killer. The end was rushed and really ruined the whole book for me. Not sure I'll be buying the next book in the series.
This series keeps getting better. This episode has Marcy Singer not only in love with...oh no you don't...you have to read the book to figure it out, but also involved with a domestic abuse outreach program. During a session with this group, Marcy learns of a tapestry that is believed to be of a pirate's treasure.

To everyone's shock, the owner of the tapestry is murdered. Marcy luckily had the artwork and photos of it. With the owner's permission, a reality show is contacted and it looks like Tallulah Falls, Oregon is going to become a new television mecca for treasure hunters.

This book was filled with several layers of different stories. The book was complex yet easily read.

Angus is there to keep me happy as well...if you do not know Angus, well you are missing out.
on December 20, 2012
As the fifth book in this series, Thread on Arrival delivers some new and interesting ideas to the story of Marcy Singer, owner of an embroidery shop. To the relief of those of us who have followed the series, Marcy makes her choice between her two suitors early on in this installment, and that gives some time for her relationship to develop further. We also gain more insight into the lives and personalities of her friends, and perhaps most interesting of all, we learn how embroidery can be a part of some very contemporary situations: it can be used as therapy for abused women, and it can contribute to recovery of goods from a sunken ship. Neither of these ways of using embroidery is likely to have been on the minds of readers when they start this book. There is some suspense too, and Amanda Lee knows how to build the pieces of a mystery into a good story.

All that being said, I also had a couple of issues with this book. If I were not a follower of the series, I think I would have rated this book as a stand-alone at only 3 stars, because in my view, its ending was really unsatisfactory. This feature was already an issue in the previous book, Thread Reckoning, and here it is again. The Epilogue is very abrupt after the final events of the book, and in barely 2 pages, it seems to cover a considerable period of time. One character is omitted from the outcome completely, and the reader is left dangling. Another issue I had was the inclusion of the topic of spousal abuse, which is very prominently treated in the first part of the book especially. It didn't seem necessary since the real topic is recovering items from a shipwreck, and these two topics were too much in a single plot, in my view.

On the other hand, the wolfhound Angus is given more prominence in this book than in previous ones, and he is a definite asset. I hope we continue to have him around, but I do wish this author's endings could be a little more expansive and satisfying for readers.
VINE VOICEon February 2, 2013
Marcy Singer, an embroidery shop owner in Tallulah Falls, Oregon, first appeared in The Quick and the Thread: An Embroidery Mystery. Her shop, Seven-Year Stitch, is a cozy gathering place for those who love the embroidery arts. Marcy's cozy corner of the shop is a great place for individual instruction, and her occasional classes offer the opportunity for townsfolk to learn more about the craft.

But when Marcy agrees to offer a class for domestic abuse survivors, she soon finds herself embroiled in all kinds of trouble. What does an old tapestry that might be a treasure map have to do with a subsequent murder? How does a strange young woman who is seemingly a friend foreshadow future dire events? And how does Marcy manage to insert herself into the thick of things, putting her own life at risk?

Another character that I enjoyed was Angus the dog, who seems to be an important part of the story.

Thread on Arrival: An Embroidery Mystery drew me further into Marcy's world in Tallulah Falls, and now I can't wait to read more. The mystery was fun, with a few red herrings, but I figured out early on whose dark agenda had led to some of the bad happenings. But a few twists revealed toward the end reminded me that not everything is as it seems.

I thought the characters and settings were wonderful, but the last few pages tied things up a little too neatly for me. Therefore, four stars. Recommended for those who enjoy the characters in a cozy mystery as much or more than the actual mystery.
on January 16, 2013
I have followed Marcy on her adventures ever since she opened her shop. This is light, cozy reading at it's best. Glad Marcy finally made a decision between her two boyfriends! Looking forward to what the author will do next with the relationship part of the stories. Nice little mystery, great for winter reading in front of a cozy fire.
on August 22, 2017
I absolutely love this series. I am excited to start the next book. Marcy, Ted, Reggie, Captian Moe, Sadie, Blake, etc are wonderful characters. They are well developed. It is a fun great read.
on July 23, 2015
A great series. I have read this one and the next one. Really enjoy her writing.
on January 27, 2013
I've always enjoyed the smalltown Oregon setting of these cozy mysteries as well as the craft aspects. I'm also glad that Lee is moving the personal relationships along so swiftly. I find the characters appealing without being too eccentric or, conversely, too bland. It amuses me that even the lead character knows she can be too soft-hearted and get into situations over her head. But she's not foolishly reckless or a damsel-in-distress who needs rescuing by her boyfriend. This one wrapped up a little quickly but I'm looking forward to the next in the series.
on December 9, 2013
I have never embroidered one single stitch in my whole life, but I really like the embroidery mysteries. The cast of characters are interesting, I always love the inclusion of a pet (this series has Angus, the Irish wolfhound).

The one flaw in these books is the “best” friend Sadie who’s a total brat. I don’t get Marcie’s friendship with her. I wish the author had made them sisters instead, and then there would be more understanding of why Marcie puts up with her.