Digital List Price: $7.99
Kindle Price: $6.99

Save $1.00 (13%)

These promotions will be applied to this item:

Some promotions may be combined; others are not eligible to be combined with other offers. For details, please see the Terms & Conditions associated with these promotions.

Deliver to your Kindle or other device

Deliver to your Kindle or other device

By a Thread (Elemental Assassin Series Book 6) by [Estep, Jennifer]
Audible Narration
Playing...
Paused
Kindle App Ad

By a Thread (Elemental Assassin Series Book 6) Kindle Edition

4.2 out of 5 stars 109 customer reviews
Book 6 of 16 in Elemental Assassin Series (16 Book Series)
See all 6 formats and editions Hide other formats and editions
Price
New from Used from
Kindle
"Please retry"
$6.99

Best Books of the Month
See the Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.
click to open popover

Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.

• Apple
  • Android
  • Windows Phone
  • Android

To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.

Editorial Reviews

Review

“Gin Blanco is one of the most intriguing heroines on the scene. . . . If you have not gotten on the Gin bandwagon yet, do so today!” —RT Book Reviews

“This series kicked off with a bang, and the action hasn’t let up since.” —Fresh Fiction

About the Author

Jennifer Estep is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea. Spider’s Bite, Web of Lies, Venom, Tangled Threads, Spider’s Revenge, By a Thread, Widow’s Web, Deadly Sting, Heart of Venom, The Spider, Poison Promise, Black Widow, Spider’s Trap, Bitter Bite, Unraveled, and Snared, along with the e-shorts Thread of Death, Parlor Tricks, Kiss of Venom, Unwanted, and Nice Guys Bite are the other works in her red-hot Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series. Jennifer is also the author of the Black Blade and Mythos Academy young adult urban fantasy series and the Bigtime paranormal romance series. For more on Jennifer and her books, visit her at JenniferEstep.com and @Jennifer_Estep.

Product Details

• File Size: 1932 KB
  • Print Length: 388 pages
  • Publisher: Pocket Books; Original edition (February 28, 2012)
  • Publication Date: February 28, 2012
  • Sold by: Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
  • Language: English
  • ASIN: B005GG0LS4
  • Text-to-Speech: Not enabled
  • X-Ray:
  • Word Wise: Enabled
  • Lending: Not Enabled
  • Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled
  • Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #50,830 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
  •  Would you like to give feedback on images or tell us about a lower price?

Customer Reviews

Top Customer Reviews

Format: Kindle Edition Verified Purchase
I've read all of the Elemental Assassin books. Each had its flaws, but they were still entertaining. Gin Blanco is an assassin of supposedly incredible skill and power. In past books Gin has made some big, potentially deadly mistakes. She's not the brightest person around, but you expect some street smarts and survival instinct. You expect her to grow and learn from her experiences.

Gin walks into a situation that's obviously extremely dangerous. She's cocky, but that's to be expected. She's blatantly warned by her target's wife to stay away, and it's clear that this woman knows more than she's letting on. Gin sees the warning bells going off, but just ignores her. Then as she's talking to her target, it becomes extremely obvious that he knows exactly who she is. More warning bells and she realizes it's a trap, but she just blunders along. Then she's led into a room with her target, who is obviously deadly, along with 7 of his giant goons. Now the trap is sprung. Does Gin finally go on the defensive, even a little bit? She has magic that might help her. Does she use it? No, while they're talking, she just tries to casually wander over toward him so she can stab him. That's her whole plan, to slowly and casually approach the guy during a conversation. A person this stupid couldn't survive a casual stroll through a bad neighborhood.

This book took all of Gin's street smarts, everything she's ever had to learn and endure, and threw them out. We're left with an assassin with the survival instincts of a 10-year-old, and the intellect of an 8-year-old, at best. She should have died, plain and simple.

I don't believe that Jennifer Estep put any thought into this book at all. I doubt I'll ever read another of her books.
Comment 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Report abuse
I have to say that this book was a bit disappointing. It is not a bad book, I did enjoy reading it, but it is definitely the weakest of the books in the series that I have read so far.

Gin is still likable old, well not so old maybe, Gin the badass assassin. Her friends are still around and are equally likable. This time Gin and Bria get out of Ashland for a while and I had quite hoped that the change of scenery would bring a bit of freshness into the series.

Unfortunately it did not bring as much fresh material as I hoped. In some sense rather the inverse. Gin and Bria starts off with a rather strained relation with some nonsense Bria-the-cop cannot really deal with the fact that Gin is an assassin and are breaking the law. Then to make matters worse Donovan I brought back into the series. I was really happy when that self-righteous, must-not-break-the-law wuss leave. I though it was for good so I got really disappointed when he was brought back. Of course he was the same wuss this time and I quite disliked the pages where he was present and bitching about Gin and how she should just leave. Needless to say he was just as wrong this time as in the previous books.

The parts without him where much more pleasant to read even though the book as a whole still followed pretty much the same recipe as the previous ones. Gin just have to stupidly walk into a mess and get herself beaten up or otherwise half-killed half way through the book in order to later get back and deal out some pain and death the Gin style. For a seasoned assassin she is more than a little stupid and amateurish. This time she seemed to have forgotten all about staking out the victims and actually learning something about them before taking any dangerous actions.
Read more ›
Comment 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Report abuse
The problem I had with this book wasn't that it by itself was bad, but that it was exactly the same as her other books. I had begun feeling that she was getting repetitive up until this point as it seemed that all her villains (or lackeys) behaved exactly the same, said the same things, and Gin did the same thing to fight them. When she finished off her nemesis from the previous books at long last, I thought that maybe Jennifer Estep would branch out and give us something a little different. Instead, she gave us . . . more of the exact same thing. The new villain was for all intents and purposes the exact same villain as the last one. Sure, the gender and the abilities change, but the attitude, methods, etc., were a carbon copy of the other books. Gin Blanco, the heroine who feels the need to remind the readers that she is "The Spider" on pretty much every page (we read the cover . . . we know who she is), fought the new version of the off-the-shelf villain the exact same way for the exact same reasons. And while there was some "okay" development between the main character and her sister as well as a little bit of closure with an ex, the series has just become far too formulaic to hold my interest, and the previews I've seen of the next book don't appear to change that. If you really enjoyed the previous books, you might well still enjoy this one as Estep obviously has writing chops, but don't be surprised if you feel that you've read it all before.
Comment 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Report abuse
Some of this book was awesome. The Bad Guy is fantastic, I think he was worse than even Mab and the tension built around this part of the story was so fantastic. I wasn’t sure how Gin was going to win against what seemed like insurmountable odds. Owen and the ever growing relationship between him and Gin is great as well. I enjoyed their time together on page and didn’t mind at all the Owen went a little alpha male in this book. These were the parts of the story I really lived for and carried it for me.

Some of this book was frustrating. There is Gin acting like a jealous lover over her sister’s lifelong friendship with someone else. There is also the comeback of a character I didn’t care if I even saw again and all the emotional angst that went with that. The problem with this was I never really bought into the relationship *cough* Booty call *cough* thing between Donovan and Gin. I get her wanting acceptance from someone who is deemed ‘good’ by society but really they had sex like twice and not a lot of page time together at all. So I don’t feel emotionally attached to him coming back around and putting Gin in the same spot she was in before with wanting him. Especially when Owen is so great….I’m like Donovan who?. I just didn’t buy into it at all and I just wanted to get to the crux of the story instead of read Gin whining about feeling rejected and not good enough by bother her sister and Donovan.

Still this holds pretty close to the last book for entertainment value. Gin still isn’t my favorite Heroine in UF I’m liking her a little more all the time.

Note: There is a ton of repetition in this series. I would say that at least 15% probably closer to 20% of the book I eyeskimmed through because it was just recaps and repetition.
Comment Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Report abuse

Most Recent Customer Reviews

Set up an Amazon Giveaway

By a Thread (Elemental Assassin Series Book 6)
Amazon Giveaway allows you to run promotional giveaways in order to create buzz, reward your audience, and attract new followers and customers. Learn more about Amazon Giveaway
This item: By a Thread (Elemental Assassin Series Book 6)