Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
+ Free Shipping
The Three Billy Goats Gruff Hardcover – May 9, 2017
|New from||Used from|
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Praise for The Three Billy Goats Gruff:
A Publishers Weekly Best Summer Books of 2017
*"Pinkney's vivid watercolors are full of texture, and large double-page spreads showcase the lush landscapes...[a] beautiful, exciting, and memorable retelling."―Booklist, starred review
*"Pinkney's graceful note invites readers to ponder issues of forgiveness, redemption, and peaceful coexistence in a terrific tale well-suited to family and group read-alouds."―Kirkus Reviews, starred review
*"Pinkney brings a thoughtful, nuanced perspective to this classic tale....[that] helps readers see that cleverness, community, and confrontation all have a time and place in dealing with a bully."―School Library Journal, starred review
*"This version and its new conclusion are worth the wait....Pinkney is generous with his gifts; his paintings are splendid, nuanced, and unfailingly entertaining."
―Publishers Weekly, starred review
*"Gorgeously landscaped and entertaining...a sterling introduction to a classic for young kids--the human kind."―BCCB, starred review
"Beautiful illustrations fill the pages with Pinkney's signature visual style in this conversation-sparking picture book."
"The celebrated illustrator Jerry Pinkney has satisfied a long-held desire with The Three Billy Goats Gruff."―Wall Street Journal
"Brilliant."―The Children's Book Review
"A gorgeous addition [to Jerry Pinkney's series of folktales and fables], filled with Pinkney's distinctive paintings that swirl with color."
*"Full-page vivid watercolor paintings bustling with natural activity and fanciful detail flow through the hues of the seasons, ending in the spare whiteness of winter....A lively and engaging version of a favorite Aesop fable."―School Library Journal, starred review
*"Pinkney suggests that the world is better when everyone can follow his or her own gifts."―Publishers Weekly, starred review
*"From an unparalleled artist, another brilliant work."―Kirkus Reviews, starred review
Praise for The Tortoise & the Hare:
* "Pinkney's magnificently illustrated version of this famous fable gives the race the excitement of an Olympic event."―Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "Will engross readers.... A captivating winner--start to finish."―Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* "Pinkney has again created a tour de force."―Library Media Connection, starred review
* "The anthropomorphism blends seamlessly with the naturalistic detail.... A lively and imaginative take."―The Bulletin, starred review
* "Pinkney enriches this classic tale of friendship with another universal theme - family - affectingly illustrated in several scenes as well as in the back endpapers... African species grace splendid panoramas that balance the many finely detailed, closeup images of the protagonists. Pinkney has no need for words; his art speaks eloquently for itself."―Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "A nearly wordless exploration of Aesop's fable of symbiotic mercy that is nothing short of masterful... Unimpeachable."―Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* "Pinkney's luminous art, rendered in watercolor and colored pencil, suggests a natural harmony... The ambiguity that results from the lack of words in this version allows for a slower, subtle, and ultimately more satisfying read. Moments of humor and affection complement the drama. A classic tale from a consummate artist."―School Library Journal, starred review
* "By retelling Aesop's fable entirely in his signature pencil and watercolor art, Pinkney encourages closer exploration of the pleasing detail with which he amplifies it... It will be a challenge for libraries to make every gorgeous surface available, but it's a challenge worth taking on."―The Horn Book, starred review
"Here, Pinkney is audacious, courageous, or simply imaginative enough to retell the classic Aesop fable without text... As a master of the media, [he] handles pencil and transparent watercolors with added colored pencils to create naturalistic characters while avoiding the strictures of photorealism. This is a stunning tour de force."―Children's Literature
About the Author
Jerry Pinkney has the rare distinction of being the recipient of five Caldecott Honors and the winner of the 2010 Caldecott medal. He has won the 2016 Coretta Scott King-Virginia Hamilton Award and Laura Ingalls Wilder Award for Lifetime Achievement, the Coretta Scott King Award five times, the Coretta Scott King Honor four times, and has been nominated for the prestigious Hans Christian Anderson Award. He was also the first children's book illustrator elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Browse award-winning titles. See more