Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,062 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,166 reviews
on July 23, 2015
Before reading this book, read about the book's lies and the author's tarnished credibility. The Washington Post article here is a good place to start. http://tinyurl.com/nzftpns. Or, Google "Recent articles on Greg Mortenson." Posted by Mark Hammer, Spokane, WA, a disillusioned early admirer of Mortenson.
on October 12, 2015
We have known for years now, from a 60 Minutes report and from Jon Krakauer's book Three Cups of Deceit, that Mortenson was not truthful in Three Cups of Tea. Mortenson has even acknowledged that this point (http://www.today.com/popculture/three-cups-author-greg-mortenson-i-let-lot-people-down-2D11961320). Despite that, the book has never been revised. For Mortenson and the publisher to continue knowingly selling a "nonfiction" book that is full of fictions is disgraceful.
on November 6, 2015
This guy has injected a ton of fiction into his story....Professor of English and top memoirist Mary Karr writes about him in "The Art of Memoir" in her chapter about scam artists. After discussing how James Frey set out to fool people, she writes, "So did Greg Mortenson, the skunk-posing-as-saint builder of Afghan schools in 'Three Cups of Tea.' He didn't hallucinate that he'd been kidnapped by Taliban when, in fact, he'd been hosted in some kind people's homes. He cooked up events to mold his public image into that of the noble, forgiving survivor of brutal treatment. Jon Krakauer's 'Three Cups of Deceit' details how Mortenson went on to drain massive sums from his charity for personal use, renting private jets for book-selling junkets and buying his own books at retail to stay on best-seller lists. He was forced by the Montana attorney general to repay $1,000,000 to settle these allegations."
on July 11, 2014
I first tried the "adult" version but found it difficult to wade though. This version is a little better. It is really a memroire but is written in the third person. It seemed to me that it was a man patting himself on the back for all the schools he was building. While I applaud what he did, I did not enjoy this book. The best part of the whole thing was the interview with his ten-year-old daughter at the end. I only finished it because it was our bookclub book for the month.
VINE VOICEon September 27, 2008
This is an incredibly important, uplifting story of an "average" American who made great sacrifices and risked his life to help others in a land far, far away. Greg Mortensen is a true hero and has done more to help eradicate the root causes of terrorism (the lack of education and/or the brainwashing of impressionable children in the guise of education) than just about everyone else. He is a great example of how much difference one person can make in the lives of thousands of others. This should be required reading for students, politicians, and others around the world.

Having said all of that, I did not like the way that Greg's story was told. The author, David Oliver Relin, is a journalist and I expected him to be more objective. It is clear that Greg Mortensen is a hero, but the author feels the need to bludgeon the reader over the head with that statement when is not at all necessary. Anyone reading the facts will come to that conclusion.

I appreciated the photos which were provided. They put a face to several of the key Pakistani and American people portayed in the book, so they were more real. The map was also helpful except that several of the towns which were discussed in the last quarter of the book weren't pictured (so it was harder to place them in geographical context).

I recommend this book to everyone, and I plan to donate to the charity which Greg established.
on September 9, 2008
I loved this story and am very impressed with Greg Mortenson as a human being. He's pretty much everything I admire in a person. I loved his own personal story as well as the story of his career, and reading this book has given me the desire to do something altruistic myself (don't know what yet, but something).

I would like to say, however, that in places this book did become quite slow, and I picked it up and put it down many times. Although I do not agree with some of the vitriolic comments other reviewers have made about David O. Relin's writing, I think the story could've been more "lively". I struggled over whether to give this book 3 or 4 stars, and only gave it 4 due to its message.

Oh, yeah... I've heard some negative things regarding Mortenson's atheism and the fact that he (unlike his missionary parents) is not striving to "save" non-Christian souls. I think this is very wrong. His intention is to bring "basic education" to children, not to convert them to another (America's)faith! I think it is sad that this story - and this man's work -is not being appreciated by many who consider themselves to be spiritually enlightened.
on October 22, 2015
Entertainer one. But for many facts apparently is not accurate story and apparently lied a lot. In this way just distracts the public with nicely written story while getting more money from it publication. All the work may or may not be true. At least they should say is fiction.
on August 5, 2016
I ordered this book to read as part of my monthly book club. I read a total of one-hundred thirty-two pages (132 pgs) before I finally called it quits. This is the first book since I joined the club that I had no desire what-so-ever to finish. I was incredibly bored with the story and the way it was written did not flow at all. I got confused as to the places and timelines as they kept switching from the states to the middle east several times, but did not go chronologically. I really tried hard to et into the book, or at least have the desire to finish it for book club, but alas, it had no draw to me at all, and I'm the type of person that likes to read about other's good deeds and helping enhance the future of children.
on September 17, 2008
Three Cups of Tea : One Man's Mission to Fight Terrorism and Build Nations ... One School at a Time

I noticed this book because of its title: How to Fight Terrorism. I was intrigued, so I ordered a sample downloaded to my Kindle. It was a real page turner. Couldn't put it down. So, I ordered the book and read it.

Every now and then, politics made a brief appearance, but it was no big deal. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. This is America, right? But the book isn't about politics.

Mortenson's story begins before 9/11 and continues after it. There's a before and after comparison that gets made. A vaguely political story gets to be a little bit about war also. But not how to fight it.

Essentially, the book is about a humanitarian mission that Mortenson makes as his life's work. How one interprets the significance of his work may be influenced by one's own political point of view.

The political point of view is what is being used to sell this book. For this reason, I'll deduct a star.

Mortenson gets nowhere in his mission over there if he was deemed to be on a political mission. He would have been rejected or even killed. So the story is being used for political consumption over here. Too bad. It's a great story in its own right. Let's not spoil it by politicizing it.
on June 7, 2014
This guy is an exploiter with a heck of a nerve to write this book. I'm not going to go into details; do your own research, but I regret putting any of my hard-earned money into his hands. Feel duped & silly. Will research other authors of future book purchases more thoroughly in the future.