Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 172 reviews(5 star, Verified Purchases). See all 465 reviews
on September 18, 2015
Okay, before I get into the review, I want to preface this by stating that tastes are subjective. There are many people out there who think that the likes of Precious, Good Will Hunting, etc. are great films, while I on the other hand find them to be boring snoozefests. When I see a movie I am looking to be entertained, not see a bunch of depressing drama slop that happens every day in real life. On that note, this revision of The Three Musketeers definitely takes quite a few liberties with Alexandre Dumas' story, and it goes to extremes at times with trying to show the technology to be way ahead of the time period (ie the Will Smith version of the Wild, Wild West). The actors do an okay job with the story and it can be entertaining and fun, but if you are going into this expecting an exceptionally well adapted version of the book then you will be disappointed. For the best story adaptation to film I recommend the mid 70s Three Musketeers and Four Musketeers with Michael York and Co. Where this adaptation really shines is in the fact that is visually and audibly stunning. The 3D on this film is definitely impressive. From the get go, it takes you on a Walk across the map of Europe with Army's represented by figurines as it explains the tensions and politics of the era. The best way I can describe it is that it is probably the closest you would get to walking across a life size Risk Board complete with figurines. The movie always has good depth but there are some visually striking scenes that really stand out (ie the front of a ship sticking straight out into your living room, or a Musketeer pointing his sword straight at the viewer and feeling that the tip of the blade is touching your forehead). It should be noted that I was viewing this with an Epson HC2000 projector on a large blank living room wall and using Samsung 5100SSG 3D Glasses. The whole movie is a plethora of eye candy and will not leave you wanting. In the audio department, I can say that it is equally impressive. If you have a decent 5.1 surround sound with a decent sized sub (ie 10 inch or 12 inch woofer) it will shake the house more often than not and do a great job of emulating canon fire, explosions, etc. I have a Dayton Audio SUB-1200 ($138.50 shipped from Parts Express) and it shook the house so much during the film that I had to turn the sub and main volume down quite a bit as there were quite a few parts that about blew me off the couch.

So in conclusion the movie itself is a fun but silly adaptation of the book, but for audio and visual effects, you will be hard pressed to find it's equal for less than $8 shipped and is well worth it even if you strictly use it as a 3d reference quality disc.
on September 17, 2012
OMIGOSH. YES. YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES. Can I repeat that? I'm wanting to. I want to jump up and down and scream with delight...or go into crazy adrenaline mode like I did the other day when I walked out of the movie theater, my face covered in awe and wonder and true love and delight and amazement and pure inspiration and incredulity at this movie.

I honestly have NOTHING bad to say about it. Not only was it extremely clean (besides a few hilariously placed cuss words and chest-showing damsels in distress), but it was just freaking phenomenally incredible. Do I make sense here? Is my brain befuddled and therefore befuddling you? I'm befuddled. This movie befuddles me. Hopefully you can make sense of this... ;)

So what was there in this movie to look forward to, to love?

First off, great music. If you listen to the soundtrack, you'll understand. Paul Haslinger - look him up.

The modern vibe. I wasn't sure if I was going to like that part of it, but I did. Man, oh man.

Then there was the cast. Ohhhhhh!! Whoever did the casting is a genius. These actors/actresses were perfect for their roles. I don't remember if there was once a line uttered wrong for the scene. Nothing about the actors and their talents was cheesy. Even actors (coughOrlandoBloomcough) who I've never appreciated the acting of were perfect for their parts and said everything perfectly and did everything perfectly. Was it the director or something? Dang, these guys nailed it.

The filming was beautiful, as was the editing and CG. Oh man I want to live some of those scenes just because of the color and the way everything was so lifelike...and yet not.

Then there were the costumes. HOLY SMOKES I wanted to wear every single dress in this movie; heck, I would have even tried on a man's outfit just for the sake of it. They were all extremely colorful and grand and beautifully detailed.

They did all their own stunts. I mean, come on! Does it get better? Yes. Yes it does.

Then, there was the dueling, the sword fights. It was like...art. Seriously, every move was like a hand-crafted porcelain from a master, perfectly placed and excellently choreographed, like a dance, or a poem.

And the story line/characters. What the heck! It was fantastical. The story line was nonstop action and adventure. Every plot and subplot was carefully placed, every line written for a purpose and for the immense enjoyment of the movie-goer. I couldn't believe my eyes - everything was so intense, all the colors, all the action. Toward the end, I thought I was in the climax, but no, I wasn't. Things kept going wrong - and getting worse. I thought I was seeing the end, but then some other problem arose and was bigger than the last. The final blowout scene was satisfying and amazing. The best scene. WOW.

And....I've been saving the best for last. Drum-roll please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOGAN LERMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so I've had a thing for this guy since I saw "3:10 to Yuma", where he played with my all time favorite (Christian Bale) and nailed his role. In "Percy Jackson", he was the best thing about that movie (which sucked). And now, here, in this movie, he not only has a leading role, he has, what appeared to me, *the* leading role.

Let me give you an example of how good Logan did at taking on his role. You know those characters, those who are new at whatever their task is, those who are very innocent an naïve and who do extremely embarrassing things that make the reader/watcher cringe in horror for him/her? Well, D'Artagnon could have been one of those characters. He did do some things that showed his naivety, but I never once cringed in painful embarrassment. I laughed. Heartily. Because the things he did were funny, and lessons learned. And even if the girl didn't fall for his flirty charms, I DID. Like, from the moment he opened his mouth. From the moment he whipped out that beautiful sword and fought off like twenty men before he received help.

How did he do it? I ask myself. He perfected his role, made for laughter and entertainment, as well as a character who you could respect even while he is learning. That is what I call fantabulous acting. I hope he becomes one of the greats. :D

And those are the reasons why this movie gets a 10/10 from me!! :D (And why you should somehow go see this movie right now!!!)
Loved this non-stop modern take on the old tale. Mostly you get to witness the actors having the time of their lives as all good productions of the story have afforded us in the past all the way back to Gene Kelly and Lana Turner et al. Orlando Bloom and Milla Jovovitch are the biggest names aboard stateside and both are no strangers to the action film genre. The old tale has been told in every possible fashion in its many many film incarnations and so Paul W. S. Anderson (known mostly for the Resident Evil franchise) takes it in the pure action and fun direction of the modern cine-plex blockbuster and obviously has a heck of a time doing it. For a period piece it's fun to see the formula applied to the ultimate buddy pic. I found the 3D really added to the overall enjoyment of this particular movie when it does not to many others released these days. Milla Jovovitch is a joy to behold and Orlando acquits himself very well but neither over shadows their fellow actors in this brisk and bawdy boisterous adaptation. I had fun at the movies again and these days that's as rare as a good story. The picture and sound are equal to the task on both the Blu-Ray and The Blu-Ray 3D. In short, if you are a fan of Dumas' novel as I am and have seen all the productions done then this particularly frantic version is a worthy addition to your collection.
on May 19, 2016
Really like this movie. My favorite of the Three Musketeers movies. This movie has good action, good 3D effects, I like the humor that is in this movie it doesnt take away from the film. the creativity in the character development I belive is really good. Hard for me to review movies without giving things away. Great movie and good addition to my collection of 3D movies.
on January 26, 2015
Best Musketeers story ever
Love the flying airwarships & then see those same ships & Royal Navy ships head to France in end segment Hinting for another sequel
I say Yes another sequel
DVD didnt go into background on the air warship concept alone
Love to see idea where all Europe then has these air warships for 17th century air combat.
Be awesome
Good locales, sets, casting & FX, super good sword play too.
Love that Blonde.
Named Constance.
'& M Lady as a 17th century 007 type.
VINE VOICEon July 2, 2013
The family was in town so I thought I'd show off the new 3D TV. I figured Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (Five-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy) would be a sure winner, so started with that one. No one really seemed all that excited about it, but didn't say much so as to not hurt my feelings. I even heard some snoring from the back row...

After a snack break, I threw this one in, and everyone suddenly woke up and started responding to the movie with some emotion. The Pirates (which is a good enough movie, of course) just looked like those popup books - like a series of 2D cutouts stacked in front of each other by comparison. Three Musketeers drew you into the depths of the scene. And there were the inevitable swords waving around your theater room and anxiety causing shots from airborne war machines. Corny, but we do expect a little of that from a 3D film, don't we? The colors were bright and the scenes were well lit.

Was it Alexandre Dumas? No. Was it loads of fun and well worth watching multiple times? YES!
on December 8, 2016
This was a fun movie with lots of swashbuckling action. I love Mila Jovovich. The plot has been seen before but it has a some new twists. I had a good time watching it. I must warn you that this version of the Musketeer story bears the same relationship to the other Musketeer movies as the Wild Wild West bore to more traditional TV westerns. I can't say a whole lot more without spoiling it for you. I have a strong suspicion that Alex Litvak and Andrew Davies grew up watching Monty Python and reading Mad Magazine.
on September 23, 2012
Do you ever watch a remake where you say to yourself "that's not the way it's supposed to be!" Well, not this movie, it's exactly what the three musketeers is supposed to be. It's funny, it's dramatic, it's silly, it's the whole feel of the old movie. How refreshing! Our grandkids thought it was weird for a sword fight movie, the problem with the young generation, everything has to be blood and gore, and really does the good guy win much anymore, can you even tell who the good guy is half of the time? How often do we go to see a movie and leave with kind of a sick feeling. Watching this show gave us one of those feel good moments, the way the old musketeers made you feel, when it was over we just felt like smiling. Bravo.
on September 21, 2015
Great movie, Not a strict period piece but that is why I like it.

The 3D effects are great.
on March 31, 2017
Despite this being an old story, the movie was very entertaining. Great costumes, casting and sets as well as the ever alluring, luscious and nubile Milla Jovovich. Premium performances by all the actors. Well worth the price of admission.