Salon Beauty Summer Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on June 12, 2014
the original thrive book contained all the information this book discusses plus more, and with greater detail. this was basically a summary with some more recipes and some workouts you can do in a hotel room without much equipment. if you cut out all the cheesy workout pictures and recipes there is probably less than 100 pages of worthwhile material to read about. also, he discusses staying fit while traveling and suggests doing the cheesy workouts in your hotel room. i travel all the time for work and it's easy to stay fit. hotels have gyms in them for god sakes. 95% of them have dumbbells ranging from 5-50 pounds with a bench. you can workout your whole body using just dumbbells. you can get your cardio done via running, which you can do anywhere regardless of location.
4 people found this helpful
on May 21, 2011
The first few chapters of this book are pretty solid--mostly a testimony of Brazier's vegan-based philosophy for performance athletes and weekend warriors. He presents a compelling argument for pursuing one's goals, eating right, and taking care of the body. There is a good discussion of how stress and lifestyle impact health, and how that in turn affects the body's performance capacity. Following these sections, he introduces a section on performance improvement. This chapter contains a solid regimen of exercises; however, the descriptions and illustrations leave much to be desired. If you are not familiar with how to do these exercises properly already, I would seek advice elsewhere for proper technique.

The section on incorporating vegan-athlete friendly foods into your diet was informative, albeit neither well-referenced nor entirely practical. It would be to both the author and the reader's benefit had the former been more specific about how he knows, for instance, that "maca helps lower cortisol levels, which will improve sleep quality." There should be a numbered citation to go along with this and other such statements, not just a list of references at the back of the book. Another flaw with this book is the fascination with exotic foods/ingredients and Vega-brand products. Although I have yet to read it, other readers suggest that "Thrive Diet," offers a better discussion of how to utilize more commonplace grocery fare for the rest of us who want to enjoy similar performance results.

What I wanted from this book was dietary advice on how to better operate a high-caloric lifestyle on vegan fuel, so to speak. This book, although somewhat informative, fell short.
13 people found this helpful
on April 13, 2013
I waited for ages before getting this book because of the first review. I wish I hadn't. The first book is great if you want to know why plant based nutrition is good for training. The second book tells you how to incorporate it into your life. Yes he does talk about his new range of sports nutrition but he also gives you the recipes and he doesn't go on and on about. I make my own from the recipes and they are delicious and very easy to make. This is a great easy to read, step by step approach to plant based nutrition, training, recovery and how they work together. It is by far the best book I have read so far on this subject.
7 people found this helpful
on June 2, 2012
I picked this book up after reading "The China Study," which started me thinking (once again)about reducing the amount of meat I eat. I was concerned about the impact it might have on athletic performance since I do triathlons and have finished both Kona and Boston twice. I figured Brendon Brazier's books were a good place to start looking for vegan recipe ideas. His fitness program was of a little less interest to me, however.

From the nutrition standpoint, the book has changed the way my wife and I eat. Although we are not vegans or vegetarians, our meals are plant based with occaisonal animal products included, rather than the other way around. We have enjoyed his shakes,which we have numerous times throughout the week, energy bars, hemp milk, pancakes, and salads. We also like his preworkout and shake mixes. Although I have not adopted his fitness program completely, that portion of the book is very interesting and I have incorporated some of it into my workouts. His personal story of wanting to be a pro triathlete early on and then experimenting with workouts and nutrition to maximize his talents, I found to be very interesting. I like all of his books and think that this is the one to read to get advice on training programs, and his latest is better for all the recipes. Bottom line is that my wife and I have more energy, feel better, are healthier, and enjoy a wider variety foods now because of his books.
8 people found this helpful
on December 10, 2014
Hi everyone, This book directs anybody who wants to be serious about health and fitness. The biggest difference in this book is that it shows how to do it naturally. Clean fuel through food. This book gives you the smart template to start with and shape to your ability. Small steps are always the beginning and it's up to you how far you want to go. Have a good journey and be good to yourself and our home we call earth.
on June 21, 2011
I am a baseball player and recovery is the name of the game. I adopted the much of the dietary principles and some of training principles in Brendan's plan this preseason and I have had a better rate of recovery and made athletic gains much more efficiently than I ever had. Previously, I had bought into the mass-marketed "sports nutrition" industry's ideas. I was bloated and had low energy. Since going with Thrive, I am strong, ripped, have a lot of energy and feel great; all without using any supplements. There were also a few additional unexpected benefits: my skin felt great, I no longer ever have any acne, and my sexual performance exploded.

The program is affordable. The change in diet does not mean spending more but rearranging your costs. You eat more of some things and you won't, although I sometimes did, spend money on expensive meat. You won't need creatine or supplements like that so that cost is cut entirely.

There are two problems: there are no references offered and sometimes reading the book is about as plain as eating cardboard. The book is a very basic introduction if you aren't that familiar with the subject but it does gives you a lot to expand on if you are interested. If you want to take your athletic performance to the next level or you just want to feel great I definitely recommend reading the book and following the plan. Break free of the mass marketed ideas of training and follow a plan that leads to good health, great athletic results and a sustainable planet.

I would also recommend these two for more depth:

The New Whole Foods Encyclopedia: A Comprehensive Resource for Healthy Eating

Pain Free: A Revolutionary Method for Stopping Chronic Pain

The Body Ecology Diet: Recovering Your Health and Rebuilding Your Immunity
on June 24, 2013
I love Brendan Brazier's teachings. His 2 thrive books really speak to the nutrition dork in me and I thoroughly enjoy his books. This one focuses on nutrition a lot, but also great fitness exercises and programs to have a healthy and well-fueled machine. As a vegan - of course one of the big reasons why I abstain from animal product is because of the deplorable treatment we as a society put them through - but this book does not get into that. This is a great resource that explains in great scientifically why a plant-based lifestyle is what is truly optimal to keep your body functioning at an exceptional level.
on September 17, 2013
I am a vegan, and a triathlete so I naturally gravitated to Brendan Brazier. It is critical for me to get the proper nutrition in life, and in sports, and Thrive does not disappoint. I am a fan of Brendan, and just finished a sprint triathlon using some Thrive recipes for pre and post workout fuel, and I had great success. No fatigue, no cramping, no dehydration, great endurance, great focus - very happy overall. I am building up to an Ironman competition, and I plan I using Brendan as my guide to get there.
on October 5, 2012
Is anyone having trouble with this book on their Fire? I notice in the "Putting It All Together" section that the program calls for TC - Thrive Fitness Weight Training Circuit and TS - Thrive Fitness Maximum Strength Training. I don't see these particular workouts mentioned anywhere in the book! Am I missing something or did something get dropped between the physical book and the digital edition?

I love the book and am looking forward to putting many of the principles into action after my current training cycle. It is a must read for plant-based endurance athletes. I just want the workouts to be more clear.
|11 comment|Report abuse
on April 15, 2012
I have worked out and studied nutrition for 15 years. The research and advice changes constantly so figuring out what/who to listen to can be difficult. Brazier has obviously done his research and walks his talk. This book is chock full of great advice and summarizes some of the most cutting edge and tried and true nutritional tenants. You don't have to be a vegan or a triathlete to benefit from this book. It made me think about the way I eat and workout and I think has helped me develop an more productive approach. I am an omnivore but I eat a lot more plants now...and workout more efficiently.