Oil month Automotive HPC World Book Day Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

I chose this book after it was the subject of a panel discussion put on by my company's women's leadership network. I say this because I came into the book with a surface level understanding of the subject matter - redefining success beyond wealth and power. I very much appreciate and agree with the overall message of the book. As someone who is ambitious in her career, I tend to read a lot of books aimed at women and business, and found this to be a nice counterpoint to other books I have read lately like Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead. So many books seem to define success in the same cookie cutter way that I found it refreshing to find a book that took a different stance. However, reading this, I couldn't help but wonder if it could have been a much shorter book or perhaps even an in-depth magazine article. I say this because initially when I was reading the book I found myself devouring it and excited to read the pages that followed. But as it wore on it started to feel repetitive and long winded and about 75% of the way through I found I had to skim it in order to finish it. I also found myself increasingly frustrated with how often the book quoted from other books. Don't get me wrong, I understand that in books of this nature it makes sense to leverage works that have come before you, but quickly it started to feel like most of the book came from somewhere else. It was especially annoying because many of the books are recent best sellers so I found her recounting things I had already had.

I also think it is worth caveating that it is unclear to me whether the advice in this book is really applicable to the masses. It seemed like a lot of the suggestions here presume you aren't struggling to get by. For those in that position I can see where the advice in this book could seem out of touch. It really does seem geared toward people who have the resources to be able to make significant changes in their life and still have the financial resources to pay to bills. I also couldn't help but wonder if this is the kind of advice that is easier to heed when you've already reached the typical markers of success (power and wealth) and harder if you've never gotten there.

Overall, I think the message of the book is good. I just wish it had been better edited and Huffington more judicious about what she chose to include as I really had to psych myself up to read this toward the end.
22 comments| 133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 30, 2014
I am thoroughly enjoying this book. If everyone would walk away with even some of the advice offered, the world would have less problems than it currently does. To me, the suggestions offered in this book are sensible and doable. It only requires that we learn what's really important in life and then setting that as a priority. I think Arianna Huffington is so on target with the need to reassess the importance of sleep, family/friend time, and wonder! Once we all learn that power and money are not the answer in and of themselves but to put the pursuit of same in its proper perspective, we'll all be so much better off. When you think about it, the need to use and abuse others in the pursuit of fame and fortune would melt away in the enjoyment of our own fulfillment with life. We'd spend more time enjoying ourselves, our spiritual nature and our loved ones. We'd have no interest in hurting or disappointing others because we'd understand we're all connected. We'd also view what we now perceive as our challenges as opportunities for growth. When you think about it, this is a most amazing way to live. It has further energized and encouraged me to pursue my life in this manner. I'm excited about the possibilities!
on September 19, 2016
This book reminds me what I already know, something that comes to me as a voice that stays there, always reminding me what is important, but I rarely listen.
I really liked the way the author shares her experience making it easy for me to relate to the content. But what I liked the most Is how compelled I feel to take action, stop surfing life and start Thriving right now.
on January 22, 2017
This book will change your life.
Through her story of burnout and backed by science--- Arianna illustrates how you can change your life in small ways to make a huge difference.
Stop surviving and start Thriving.
on November 1, 2015
Weirdly academic...so much research. And for someone who is interested in research (me), that is saying something!

I did enjoy the stories about her family, especially her mom.
on January 6, 2015
Bought this thinking it might be of interest to my 20-something daughter. She had a medical issue that pointed to stress and a life that needed some balancing. So I wanted to read it before recommending it to her. I am 60-something and retired, but I still found it very inspiring and well written. I have recommended it to our daughter, but it's hard to choose books for other people, especially your children!! Arianna's writing is entertaining and well researched, and I very much enjoyed the many quotations of wisdom she uses throughout.
on May 7, 2015
I purchased this for my wife as she was struggling through a boss at work that made her feel completely de-valued in life. I now wish I could thank the author in person for her creating a new peace within my wife's heart and a way to not take so much upon her shoulders.
on June 19, 2014
A really great book. Want to live a healthy, happy, reverent, and full life, then listen to the great wisdom Ms. Huffington has to impart! One can tell the information she wishes to share comes from a life-long journey of learning and reading, from a unique and singular perspective, from an engaged and extremely caring person, and a sincere and pure spirit. Her research demonstrates that she practices what she preaches; using creativity and imagination to mix and reinforce her ideas and lessons. It is easy to see how this book may fall off into the obscure and vast sea of literature history has accumulated over the centuries, but it is also easy to see how it could end up being a treatise for posterity and the future 21st and 22nd centuries. She enjoys exploring the edge of our current condition and understanding about the world and emphasizes the mystery, beauty, and wonder of the human condition. With so many different tools to fashion our future reality with - what kind of world we want to create and live in, she provides us with a vision of peace and realism. A book for the people and for the learned, readers should be grateful for this gem of a contribution.
on June 29, 2014
Thrive is a great book that highlights how we can live a more inside-out life. But it is really hard to see where Arianna would be now if she lived her life like this from the very start.

It is without question that the workplace must shift and save us all from living in a crazy / wired culture. I cannot help but think that all these talented men and women drop of out the traditional workforce to live more centered lives.

I truly felt inspired by her quotations of Aristotle and many other 'voices' and can't help but think that if the word of the wise men / women of the past to play out in today's world, we would be a much saner society.

Additionally, Arianna's placement of these 'voices' along with how to's really drove home how to live a more balances and inside out life.
on December 28, 2014
Thrive is inspirational. It is a timely book for this age of intense competition. It reminds us to take a break to refresh our body and mind. I am an occasional Tai Chi practitioner; it is a combination of meditation and exercise. After I finished reading this book, I looked up news on the application of meditation at technology companies such as Google. It is refreshing to learn that ancient Western and Eastern philosophy and practices are still relevant in this age.