Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Throne of Glass
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on December 3, 2012
This was an odd read for me. I went into it thinking I was really going to enjoy it because I'd heard about how cool this heroine was from a pretty long-burning and devoted fan following online. And seriously--a kick-butt teenaged girl assassin who's fighting a tournament to the death to become the king's champion after surviving a year of hard labor as a slave in the salt mines? How could that be anything but awesome, right?

So... what happened, you might ask. Well, surprisingly (because I enjoyed the prequel novella the author released recently (The Assassin and the Pirate Lord) and didn't see any of these problems in it), the writing in Throne of Glass was very weak. Not to the point that I found it frustrating or painful as with a certain absurdly popular YA quadrilogy about vampires, but there were so many moments (especially dialogue) that rang so false or illogical that I was pulled out of my suspension of disbelief over and over.

The most apparent examples were anytime the king or any adult male figure spoke--they just did not read as even remotely realistic, even in the context of a fantasy story. What kind of mass-murdering, world-conquering old king who's so crafty, cruel and dangerous that even the crown prince is in peril of immediate execution just for looking at him the wrong way, stops to explain himself to a wretched teenage assassin who's just been pulled from the slave mines and should be so far beneath him he should not even register her existence at this point? Plus, his strange "intimidation chat" sounded more like a stern dad lecturing his pouting teenage daughter about keeping her curfew or something... I couldn't take him seriously as a villain which crippled how seriously I could take the danger and stakes the heroine was supposed to have found herself in.

The characters in general read largely like stereotypes and stock characters: the proud and fierce POC princess of a conquered but noble kingdom who sees our heroine's worth and befriends her; the handsome, foppish prince who wishes to defy his domineering father but is unable to until he meets and falls in love with the beautiful and rebellious heroine (ugh); the stern and upright yet secretly gentle-hearted warrior who trains the heroine, and is conveniently placed as Love Interest #1's best friend so as to create a compelling love triangle (double ugh)... I don't mind characters who fall into popular fantasy archetypes, but there's got to be something--some action or thought, some string of dialogue that rings true that tells me this character is his or her own person, not just a puppet filling a role and saying the sorts of things someone standing outside of him might think he'd say. Even for a YA fantasy, no one in this book felt even remotely REAL.

As for our heroine, Celaena is probably the closest thing to an actual character rather than a stereotype in this story, but I had a hard time pinning down her personality and motivations as well. She's supposed to be a hardened master assassin but is more interested in clothing, flirting with cute boys, books (she's quite a Renaissance Woman... =__=), going to balls (it apparently doesn't bother her that these balls would be filled with the very nobles she purportedly hates for enslaving the good, innocent people she encountered in the slave mines)--not to mention one-upping the resident Mean Girl (I'm not even kidding) in proper high school heroine fashion--than in, well, assassinating. Assassinating, for instance, the murderous king who sent her to a slave camp, or the treacherous old comrades who betrayed her to her miserable fate. Or even in using her master assassin skills to escape her captors and maybe restore the reputation of the great Celaena Sardothien, which she is so very proud of.

In short, if she were just a regular teenage girl who'd suddenly found herself abandoned by the people who'd raised her and was swept up into this tournament based one some non-lethal skill she excelled in (dancing? Painting? Juggling, perhaps?) and she happened to strike up this puppy love with the Prince, pouted at him for not letting her go to parties, befriended the noble princess and one-upped the Mean Girl for good measure, that would have been okay/believable. But a hardened assassin so famous and prolific that her name strikes fear into the hearts of grown men doing all this? Farewell, suspension of disbelief, and any semblance of a story anyone over the age of 13 could take seriously.

These are just a few of the many, many unbelievable moments that just continuously threw me out of what might have been an enjoyable story. That said, I did read the book the whole way through (though part of that may have just been in hope that whatever awesomeness the droves of fans had raved about was coming later in the story. I'm sorry to say, I still have no idea why Celaena has this fanatical online following, and I'm one of the folks who usually drinks the fandom koolaid pretty easily), and the pacing and imagination of the story are good, if unpolished.

In fact, that kind of sums it up--there's a lot of good promise here, both in the types of characters the author likes and chooses to populate her stories with, and the premise of girl power that is so sorely lacking in many popular YA series nowadays. And even if the writing has some room for improvement, it is better than a lot of what's being published in YA these days. The real problem, I think, is just a lack of verisimilitude as I have mentioned. I know from the author blurb in the back of the book that this story was written when the author was a teenager, and honestly, that may be where a lot of the problem comes from. I do think this author has a lot of potential, so I may check out the next series she writes. But this series with its ridiculous characters and poorly executed premise is such a hot mess, I'll definitely not be picking up the later books.
on February 11, 2015
This is an atrocious book. Seriously. I couldn't get throught it and I've read some pretty bad/cheesy stuff. Let me explain: the story does start well. There is this ambiance to it, this dark, hidden place and a bloodthirsty assassin. She seems fierce, rough, strong and deep. Oh boy. This author should work with MARKETING!
She doesn't even wait for the background to be built strongly enough in our heads that the rest of this flimsy story will somehow be read to the end. No no. She will spoil everything still close to the beggining.
Celaena is NOT an ASSASSIN. An assassin has killer instincts, fast reflexes, short but intelligent thoughts and - well, I expect - a little bit of paranoia (you could be killed as much as you have killed). She spends more time talking about how pretty she is or how beautiful things are around her (with the exception from the beginning of the book) or how nice her dresses will be than actually getting to the story, being a killer or someone even interesting, for goodness' sake.
I was so disappointed with this book because there were so many good reviews that I had HUGE expectations about it. Well, not anymore. So long, fake characters!
I should have known that after trying to read this thing FIVE times nothing goog could come out of it...
on July 8, 2014
THRONE OF GLASS has been a book that I've been wanting to read for so long. But for whatever reason I always kept putting it off. So when I recently discovered how much I loved audiobooks, I decided it was finally time to jump into it and give it a shot. But, I was surprised to find a totally different book then what I imagined!! It was still a good book, BUT... it just didn't turn out to be what I thought it would be! It didn't have the action and adventure that I hoped for. Through almost the whole book we heard about how much of a bad-a** Celaena Sardothien was. How much she could cut through anything or anyone. But it's not until the very end that we really see her strip-down and show what she's really about. And even then, it was tainted, and not the full wrath of what she is "supposedly" capable of.

There was a lot of magical elements that I was not expecting. Honestly, I wasn't excepting any, because that's what synopsis says,

" In a land without magic."

But, even though it was a surprise, I found myself engaged and intrigued as the story unfolded into a mysterious world where magic, lies, fear, evil, and a murderous king rules with an iron fist, and will cut though anyone to clear his path to complete control!

Even with it's flaws, THRONE OF GLASS was still pretty amazing! I am so eager to see where this series goes, because it could take so many different routes and still make sense and be amazing. And I love that when an author can end a book and is able to have you guessing where the series will go. Some books you just know how it's all going to end without having to read it. But Sarah Maas has created a series that will forever keep me second guessing myself!! Mad props to Ms Mass for that!!!!

THE PLOT

In a kingdom ruled by a vicious king, who slaughter all who appose him, a kingdom lay in despair and submission as the lesser citizens live cowering to their king. As the nobility live in a luxurious life full of wealth and riches, and power.

Celaena Sardothien was raised to be a killer. She was brought up with blood on her hands. Killing has become as easy as breathing for Celaena. Because she kills with precise and precision, she kills to keep breathing, she kills because she is the best, she kills because she's Ardalan's best assassin, and everyone knows it, and fears it!!

Celaena is paying for her crimes in the salt mines of Endovier, forever cursed to the hard labor of the mines and cruelty of the guards, until her dying day. Until one day, Celaena is given a choice, an opportunity to get out of the mines and become the kings lackey. But she'll be free of the certain death that the salt mines are sure to bring. Free of watching all the endless deaths of those around her. Free after 5 years of killing for the king. But it won't come easy, and she'll have to prove her worth against other killers just like herself!

Celaena is offered the chance to become the kings champion. But with it come a price... The title is not given to her, she will have to prove worthy of the title in a battle with other killers, thieves, assassins, and the lowest of the low. But she's Celaena Sardothien, so just how much trouble could that be? Well she's about to find out!!!

Celaena is not prepared for what she finds out of the salt mines and with a taste of free air. She is not ready for what secrets lie hidden within the castle, long since forgotten and abandoned. Buried beneath centuries of secrets, lies, and forbidden magic that was outlawed by the king himself. Secrets in which the king would kill anyone who possess, even his future champion.

Celaena will come face to face with the truths of what the kingdom is really built on, terrible secrets that could not only get her killed, but bring whole kingdoms to their knees. She will have to battle her way through the unthinkable to get to the top, but once she's there, she will have to make the ultimate choice of where her loyalties lie, and who she can really trust! But she'll have to stay alive long enough to make it there!!!

Even though THRONE OF GLASS was not what I excepted it to be, it was still pretty epic on so many levels. I just finished reading the second book and loved that one sooo much more. I plan on jumping into the third book sometime very soon!! It's an amazing series with layers upon layers that have to be dug through and peeled back to comprehend the full wrath of what lies beneath this series. The best way to describe this series would be by saying "There is more, WAY more then what meets the eye"

I think this is a series that everyone should read, no matter what your genres or reading level is. It's one of those series that stays with you long after its over. Not just because of the characters and action. But because of what these people go through. Of so many people brought to their knees in front of one man. For the determination and struggles that these people had to go through. And for the loss that they continue to go through with each book. It's so complex, and a must read for so many reasons!!!!

Overall, THRONE OF GLASS was a great start to an amazing series that I know is going to be EPIC by the time it's complete! I'm eager to see how it all turns out!! I would definitely recommend it and will be eagerly continuing this series!!
on August 4, 2015
I have a Lot of issues with this book and I still somehow found it entertaining to some degree, until I couldn't bear it anymore. Maybe because Romance novels are my guilty pleasure. And do not mistake it! This is a Romance novel. A young adult romance full of kisses and pretty dresses, and kisses and fairy tale balls and handsome princes to kiss and more kisses. If you're looking for anything resembling ADULT Fantasy with Adults who act like Adults, you're in a for a real disappointment. This author wanted to write a Cinderella story of Fairy Tale Princes and she did...the Fantasy part is just the excuse to get in the Handsome Prince story. Which is OK, but not what I bought the book for. But the real disconnect came when....

+++++++++++SPOILERS AHEAD++++++++++++++++

1 Kings Champion gets killed by a ravening beast Inside the castle. OK, I can see where one might say, That's horrible, maybe someone's dog went beserk. Then 2 Kings Champions get killed by a ravening beast INSIDE THE CASTLE, and it not only ate their intestines but their brain and there were magical symbols. And Still, no one seems overly concerned or upset by this. Two people--murdered by unknown beast imside the very castle itself and no one is tearing the castle apart for sorcerers or witches or even evidence? But THEN....THREE People are killed by the Ravening beast with magical symbols, insides eaten, brain gone, ALL THREE ARE COMPETITIORS TO BECOME KINGS CHAMPION....and these morons stand around saying incredibly ignorant things like, Do you think it's connected? Do you think someone is trying to kill off the Champions? They then blow off all evidence and concern like mentally challenged mushrooms and No One thinks to...I don't know? Stop the Kings Champions from wandering around the castle at night alone? Maybe search the Castle for the man killing beast? Check people's rooms for magical construct evidence? Something. I mean, my GOD, Man! They acted like characters in some fairy tale of errors where everyone ate magic mushrooms as a small child and fried their brain cells. Even if no one understood the symbols...there's a serial killer on the loose Inside the Castle....Can we at least Pretend to be concerned? Just a little bit?

The author did absolutely no research (nor did she care) about reality when it comes to people who have killed. I would reccomend the book, "On Killing" but I'm postive she honestly doesn't give a damn about character authenticity. When the Main Female Protagonist wasn't actually killing something, she acted more like an ignorant 12 year old with no experience in killing a fly than a world famous assassin. As many times as she fell asleep with someone else in the room, slept through someone coming into her room and allowed herself to be snuck up on and startled _I_ could have killed her with a dull butter knife and I have no experience in killing anything but flies. Then, the ONE weapon she could have used with some purpose, she left behind. She left a legendary weapon behind in a tomb at the bottom of a dangerous and dark pathway that would be problematic to regain. Really? An Asassin leaves behind a weapon of that magnitude and usefullness After losing the one makeshift weapon she did have? Someone please Kill ME now from the sheer stupidity of this character! Frankly this girl didn't deserve to live. And honestly, you could have done just LITTLE research into PTSD before you took on a psychological problem of that depth. Just a little. It would have only taken a Google search and 10 minutes of your time. Instead she insults everyone who had ever suffered from that problem by having the character either completely ignore her PTSD...or have some nightmares. That's it.

I wouldn't recommend this book for anyone over the age of 8 who loves fairy princesses and princes

Couldn't finish, and seriously thinking of asking for my money back.
on December 22, 2014
At A Glance
Wow, such a great fantasy adventure. Loved the characters and the story, but Celaena weakened a lot as the book progressed.

The Good
So many people I know loved this book I don’t know why it took me so long to finally read it. And I am so happy I ended up loving it. I don’t read straight up fantasy/high fantasy very often so it was a nice change up. By the last page I really felt like I went on an adventure full of intrigue and action.

Anyone who knows me knows I love assassin books. I love the way assassins think, act, and strategize. Celaena was everything I wanted in an assassin in the beginning of the book. She would walk into a room and in three seconds flat she would know ten ways to escape and ten ways to incapacitate every guard in the room. That’s my kind of gal. She was also very kind, fierce, and witty. Her fighting skills were amazing as well. I never doubted that she could win the competition and become the king’s champion. I think she played the game well. I was excited to see her make new friends because after everything she went through in the past, she deserved to have people she could trust and care about. I can’t wait to learn more about her past though. We only get a glimpse in this book.

I loved the array of killers and warriors picked for the competition. Some were straight up horrible and some were surprisingly kind. Then there was Prince Dorian who also surprised me. He actually had more depth then I first thought, but he needs to stand up to his father a lot more in my opinion. He definitely has room to grow. Capitan of the Guard Chaol also surprised me. He was so mean to Celaena sometimes which was understandable since he shouldn’t trust an assassin. But I liked him more when he started to warm up to her. I think Chaol is a better fit for Celaena

The story and concept were pretty unique and kept my attention the whole time. The dialogue flowed and the characterization was great. The final battle scene was effing epic and also strange. Not what I was expecting but it worked. Very fantastical. I can’t wait to read more about Celaena’s adventure because I know there is a lot in store for her. So many questions to be answered, so many battles still to be fought.

The Bad
Celaena started out like a badass assassin, but by the end of the book she felt soft to me. Sure, she was still a great fighter but her assassin ways of thinking turned into almost constant pinning for two guys. Gag me! I like the independent, tough Celaena better than the love-struck one we get in the end.

There were many trials each warrior/killer had to pass to get closer to becoming the king’s champion. And we got to see two or three of them in their entirety and it was AMAZING. But the rest were either glossed over or just mentioned in passing. How disappointing. The dangerous trials/contests are what drew me to this book. I wanted to read more about them.

The Snuggly
Love triangle alert. It wasn’t too bad because really Celaena and Prince Dorian were the main love interest through most of the novel. Chaol kind of sprang up closer to the middle/end. I am not sure how I feel about Celaena and Dorian together yet. I like Chaol as a love interest a lot better.

Very YA, just some flirting and kissing.

Final Thoughts
Throne of Glass is one of the best fantasy books I have ever read (admittedly I haven’t read a lot of them). Even though I wish Celaena stayed a strong assassin throughout the book, I still loved her. I will for sure be continuing this series. Highly recommended.

Quotes
“Libraries were full of ideas–perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.”

“How long was I asleep?” she whispered. He didn’t respond.
“How long was I asleep?” she asked again, and noticed a hint of red in his cheeks.
“You were asleep, too?”
“Until you began drooling on my shoulder.”

“We all bear scars,… Mine just happen to be more visible than most.”

“My name is Celaena Sardothien. But it makes no difference if my name’s Celaena or Lillian or Bitch, because I’d still beat you, no matter what you call me.”

“With each day he felt the barriers melting. He let them melt. Because of her genuine laugh, because he caught her one afternoon sleeping with her face in the middle of a book, because he knew that she would win.”
on August 28, 2012
My main problem with Throne of Glass is the deceiving blurb that promises wonderful things, yet never fully delivered. I was promised an exhilarating, intriguing plot, similar to that of Poison Study, I was promised a kick-butt heroine likened to Katsa and Katniss Everdeen. The premise claimed that Throne of Glass is Game of Thrones for the teenage set. Unfortunately, for such a big-premise novel, Throne of Glass was a massive disappointment.

Like Grave Mercy, a recent 2012 read that I did not enjoy at all, Throne of Glass had the same level of superficiality and flavorless, juvenile writing. Certain sentences were formed awkwardly, and when in correspondence with uncomplicated prose, I received the overall impression that this novel was geared towards the "Y" of Young Adult.

I will admit that the plot was entertaining, and for the most part filled with thrilling games and fights, animating dialogue and character interactions. However, this book lacked intricate world-building, and variegated, sophisticated writing to make this a memorable read. As it was, Throne of Glass was only substantial. It didn't help that the plot was extremely predictable and I got the whole mystery solved 30% of the way through as well.

Along with passable world-building and writing, there was an overall fluffiness to this book that I found very unappealing. Action scenes, political intrigue, and you know, assassinating were grossly outweighed by the descriptions of gorgeous gowns, physical beauty, and handsome men. Again, this will attract many but I didn't bargain for a fantasy-lite, a term I've stolen from Tatiana after she's been using this exact phrase for quite a few YA fantasy novels published this year.

Celaena Sardothien was a very frustrating character who often left me conflicted. On one hand, I appreciated how Ms.Maas had created such a self-reliant, ballsy protagonist with snarky comments you could sense from a mile away. She was certainly a far cry from being a pathetic, sniveling damsel in distress who needed saving. On the contrary, Celaena was a complete Mary Sue and made sure that everyone was aware of that. Not only was she breathtakingly beautiful and intelligent and witty and strong, she easily attracted two handsome men, Prince Dorian and Captain Chaol Westfall.

Which obviously leads me to the most irritating component of this book-the love triangle. I suppose the author recalled at some point whence formulating her novel that this is for teens and thus requires a love-triangle. Both love interests had personalities thinner than the paper this book was written on, especially Prince Dorian. His adoration for Celaena was tiresome and redundant; his character the product of the same personality replayed over and over again in various novels. If however, you're a fan of forbidden romances with insta- love included into the mix, Throne of Glass is the perfect book for you.

Mostly all the secondary characters were two dimensional and poorly constructed, hence I had difficulty investing any emotions in the characters and their relationships, with the exception of one- Nehemia. I will admit that she and Celaena had a very interesting correspondence, and that's probably because she was the only multilayered, realistic character in this entire book.

There are indeed many readers who will love this and gush about it with other readers who equally adore it, but please, give me something with quality, with depth and substance. Serviceable, but I'm ready to move onto something else.
11 comment| 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 8, 2012
I was so pumped for Throne of Glass when I found out that it was going to be at BEA. I spend the preceding weeks talking to Maas on Twitter and just being excited in general for the book. When I first read about the book, what first got my interest was that it was being toted as Cinderella as an assassin. How cool does that sound?

The more I looked into it, the more I found out about it. Like the fact that there are some prequel novella's out there. Anyway, I was really excited for this book, and it didn't let me down. Not at all, I loved Celaena, but I think thats because I knew who she was from the novella's.

The whole time it seemed to be Westfall and Dorian going for her hand, but I wasn't partial to either one of them for her. That could also be because I read the novella's and I prefered the love interest in them. I liked her being alone, and a kick ass girlie girl. She had sass and she was okay with being alone. She was all about the high end dresses and high end weapons and that was my favorite.

I sort of expected it to be sort of like the Hunger Games when she talked about the challenges, which it did seem to be, but we didn't get to see all that many challenges. I'm hoping that the future books provide us with a more steady look into what Celaena is capable of and what more of her back story is.

Maas hinted at quite a few facts about Celeana's upbringing during the book, but we don't know precisely what happened, and I can't wait to find out more about what happened in her life to make her the way that she was. I loved that we also had details from the novella's mentioned within the book.

All in all, I can't wait for the rest of this series to be out and in my hands!
on October 15, 2012
POSSIBLE SPOILERS
Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas follows the story of eighteen year old Calaena Sardothien, an assassin who spent the past year in the salt mines, who is offered a chance at freedom. The catch? She has to act as a champion in a competition to work as a royal assassin for the King whom she hates. To make matters worse, contestants start turning up dead and it's not just a race to win, but to survive.

When I heard about this, I was interested. The MC an assassin? Yeah! The awesome cover as well? Bonus! The fact that it's supposed to be Game of Thrones and Hunger Games mix or a Game of Thrones for young adults? Pretty awesome! Okay, I wasn't crazy about Game of Thrones, but I thought that maybe if this was like it but more for young adults, I might enjoy it more. Yeah, no. Not happening.

It starts out with Calaena recruited by the crown Prince, Dorian, who offers her freedom. While she's not happy about who she's gonna work for, she takes it because it means freedom. After all, anyone who goes to the salt mines don't last but a few months and if they try to escape, they die within five steps. Well, except for Calaena because she's strong and awesome. Whatever.

Since Calaena has been in the salt mines for a year, she needs training and who better to do that than Captain of the Guards, Captain Chaol Westfall. At first, Calaena is horrible at her training and she pukes every day because she runs right after eating. Yeah, I'm not really feeling sorry for her there because she runs right after eating which is stupid.

Blah, blah, blah, skip a bit and the tests start happening for the contestants. Calaena is supposed to "stay in the middle" of things so she doesn't seem all that awesome, but she's not last either. Meanwhile, some of the contestants are turning up dead and it's usually around a test. So, Calaena decides she's going to try to figure things out. A few murders later and it seems she knows or suspects more than the Captain of the Guards who has been looking into these murders since they happened. Wow, if only Calaena had gotten to them sooner, it would have solved the mystery in the first place! *rolls eyes*

Now, when I read the summary, I assumed that this book would be filled with more adventures and tests and all kinds of awesomeness. Sadly, I was mistaken. I think only one or two of the tests that last over a period of months (MONTHS, mind you) is really explained. All the others are just "we had a test yesterday" or brushed over just as bad. The only one more than a line was mentioning how it was some archery or sword fighting or whatever and she passed it.

So what is this book filled with? Dresses.

Okay, so there's more than that, but that's what it seemed like. Instead of reading action or tests or anything of the sort that we were promised (according to the summary), we read how pretty Calaena is, how detailed the dresses are, how pretty Calaena is, how handsome Prince Dorian and Captain Chaol are, how pretty Calaena is, how skilled at everything Calaena is, etc.

It's awesome that Calaena is a strong, snarky woman, but come on. Instead of making a strong character, like I'm sure Sarah wanted to do, she ends up making a Mary Sue who is annoying. All we read is how pretty that girl is or how much she talks to the handsome boys or something the like instead of actually reading how awesome an assassin she is. I still don't believe she's an assassin. Didn't prove it to me at all.

Not only that, but there's no depth to her or much of the other characters. Hey, Sarah, when you want your readers to actually feel for or feel connected to your characters, you need to build (and show) the character's backstory. Which means, explain why the character is the way they are. It doesn't have to be an info dump, but it does mean explaining something. Did we get this for Calaena? Nope. Each time we got close to something, it's brushed aside or Calaena doesn't want to talk about it. I understand that she's an assassin and she keeps things to herself, but we do need to know something. Even later on, in the finale battle between her and Cain, Cain mentions her parents and it's something important, something to grab onto as readers, and nothing happens. It's brushed aside or Calaena explains what she wants to about it, which isn't much.

Because of the lack of backstory, I feel nothing for any of the characters. Calaena is so beaten up, but it doesn't matter. I don't care. I wouldn't care if she died because I feel nothing for her. No backstory, no reason to make her real, nothing to ground her, nothing to make her human. You'd think that if Sarah wrote this story years ago and has been working on it since, she would have developed a better back story for her characters, but no. It's like it escaped her that she actually needs to build her characters up.

Not only where her characters lacking building, but the world building was lacking as well. There was a little bit of world building, but it was like a line layer of it and not enough, not deep enough.

Not to mention, the writing was so juvenile! The dialogue was good, yes, but that's about it. The dialogue was only decent because Calaena had to look awesome, or sound awesome. There were times that the wording was so horrible, it seemed like someone who doesn't know English as a first language wrote it. It was awkward to read.

And, to top it all off, there's a love triangle. With the beautiful "look at me" Calaena and the handsome-every-girl-wants Prince, and the handsome, amazingly-talented-at-a-young-age Captain of the Guard. Because every YA book needs a love triangle. *rolls eyes* Okay, I know everyone has to have a love triangle in their story, but come on! Enough already!! I'm sick of reading love triangles. I hated them to begin with and they're getting old. So, so old. And all we find out about these fools is that they're handsome. That's only after beautiful Calaena decides she doesn't hate them as much.

The plot wasn't as interesting as it appeared to be and I wasn't in a rush to read through it as quick as I thought I would be. I wouldn't even be surprised if Sarah is making this into a trilogy, because what YA book wouldn't be complete without a love triangle and a trilogy? And then there was this random magic plot thrown in that didn't seem to mesh as well with it. To me, it felt like the plot was written and Sarah thought she needed something different so she added this other magic-type plot in there as well. Something about markings and whatever. It was odd to say the least.

Throne of Glass is not what it's made out to be. It's not as exciting as it's appeared to be. It's rather dull and filled with fluff than action/assassining. If it was a trilogy, I *might* read the next one, but I'm not going to rush out and buy it, nor am I buying this book. Not really recommending this book to anyone either. :\
on September 28, 2015
I couldn't believe the overwhelming amount of positive reviews this book got, because I couldn't even get through 60% of it. I usually finish books - I haven't abandoned one in a few years, but after a few nights of complaining to my friends about this "terrible book I'm reading", I caved.

I was craving an action adventure with a hint of fantasy/magic, since the Graceling series is one of my favorites of all time. Based on the reviews (foolishly enough), I picked up this series. I've always enjoyed reading about fighting, training, and hardcore girls who can really beat the crap out of anyone who gives them sh**. But, along from the boring and typical language used in the novel (I think the author tried being poetic, but I found myself rolling my eyes more often than not at her metaphors and descriptives), the descriptions of action were very often vague. Celaena, the main character, would often think things like, "oh, that guy's scoffing at me? hah I could topple him over in two seconds with two kicks." What is that? That's lazy storytelling. "I am all-powerful, but I don't feel like explaining. Just take my word for it."

She is girly, which I don't usually have a problem with, but the writing takes it to a fault. I like the duality of a badass assassin and a girly girl who enjoys luxury and clothing, but Celaena becomes almost one-dimensional, giggling at herself and crossing over into boring vanity. She is also apparently very attractive, capturing the attention of any male within sight.

Sketchy evil stuff starts happening, and I was hoping things might get better. Some twists, perhaps, a few surprises. None at all. Absolutely none. When a character (that she obviously despises) ultimately proves his evil-ness, I had to close my kindle and do something else for a while because I was so angry with how obvious it was. The descriptions of characters (particularly the evil monsters and villains) were so contrite and expected.

I just really, really disliked this book. The world building was boring. The "twists" were boring. The romance(s) were boring. The general relationships were boring. The main character was boring. I wouldn't waste your time.
on December 30, 2015
I give it three out of five stars for a plot that kept me interested, and supporting characters that were more interesting than the protagonist. I was looking forward to reading this book with a strong female protagonist. While I got one, I was disappointed in her character.

What I liked about the book:
1) The mystery plot is what drove my interest in this book. I wanted to know who or what was killing the champions and why. It’s a good idea, and that’s what I derived the most enjoyment from while reading this.
2) Nehmia and Chaol, along with most of the supporting character’s were well done. I feel they carried this book where the protagonist repeatedly failed.
3) I liked how the role of dashing prince and modest damsel were swapped. The Prince is a coward who’s never seen battle, is looked after by the female savant assassin who tries to protect him. It wasn’t a complete stereotypical role reversal, but it was close and an interesting choice.

What I didn’t like:
1) The illogical action lost me over and over again. The king who has to take off for a few months on important business but refuses to tell anyone where he’s going or why he needs to go there. The protagonist is training for a competition that will determine her life or death fate, but in the meantime, she and her fellow worst of the worst champions, are going to balls, dressed in finery, playing billiards, eating candy, visiting puppies, and tutoring foreign princesses. I mean I know this is YA fantasy, but there was an overwhelming dose of fantasy and not enough reality to make the plot plausible. I never once believed the protagonists life was in jeopardy, and this book lacked the gritty harsh realities that the titles it tries to bill itself beside actually contain.
2) I hate the protagonist. You can tell she is given her arrogance and selfish traits to try and balance out her troupe laden “chosen one” brilliance. Unfortunately there is very little character growth or discovery to improve her annoying grand sense of self. I just had to grit my teeth and press on through her memories that she can’t bear to remember of her “mysterious” heritage. I tolerated her best killer among the best status, among those who were ever trained by the best in the whole world, and all before she was of legal drinking age. It’s tossed in the readers face over and over and over again while never actually getting to see how freaking amazing she is. I think what really did me in with her was the terrible dialog. It’s nails on a chalkboard bad. It once again paints these illogical scenes. I was confused many times about what her motivation was to speak to people, or the occasional ghost, the way she did.
3) The romance, love triangle thing. I truly don’t know what it should be called, but the romance stuff is just terrible. It reveals the most of how juvenile the protagonist’s character is. One minute she hates so and so then she wants to make out with him. A scene later she’s fawning over his best friend. I never truly understood where the attachments came from. They felt lopsided and strange.