Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning DrWho DrWho DrWho  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,719 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,486 reviews
on August 2, 2016
Now, I must admit that I found this book by accident. I was researching agents for my own book, and one of them was looking for something along the lines of this series. I had never heard of it, so I looked up some information online, and this one sentence completely grabbed my attention: “What if Cinderella didn’t go to the ball to dance with the prince … but went to kill him instead?”

Now, first let me explain that this is the question the author asked herself when she first started writing the book. Throne of Glass doesn’t really have any of the Cinderella elements left: there’s no evil stepmother, no glass slippers, and no over-worked servant girl. There is a glass castle, a prince, and something sort of like a fairy godmother – but that’s it. Instead, you end up with a fascinating fantasy story with a very unique heroine. I can’t think of another story that had the protagonist be a female assassin – and I don’t mean poisoned lipstick and pointy-hairpins assassin. I mean a real assassin – daggers in the night, ninja-style wall scaling – that sort of thing. The whole book just blew me away, and I’m dying to read the rest of the series. Here’s a little synopsis:

Celaena Sardothien, also known as Adarland’s Assassin – the most feared killer in the world, is sentenced to life in a prison labor camp after she is apprehended. The Prince needs a skilled fighter to participate in a contest within the royal court that will select a King’s Champion, so he hunts down the famous assassin to discover that she’s merely an eighteen-year-old girl. Celaena jumps at the chance to win her freedom, especially since it only requires her to be the last person standing at the end of the challenge. Things aren’t always as easy as they seem, especially when the other challengers start turning up dead. Staying alive might be the hardest challenge Celaena’s faced yet.

Full of gripping action, brief romance, and some hilariously witty passages - Throne of Glass is a marvelous read for almost anyone. The book reads smoothly without sounding childish, and the combination of grisly deaths, fight scenes, subtle romance and magical elements means it has something to offer everyone.

I highly recommend giving this book a try – after all, don’t you want to know if Cinderella manages to kill the Prince?
on March 1, 2017
I own the audible and physical copy of this book. No Spoilers

OK so this book begins with Celeana being locked up in Endovier for the past year. And the prince and his Captain of the Guard go to offer her a choice: to be his fighter to participate in a royal contest to be the Kings Champion or she can stay in the salt mine prison. She jumps at the chance to win her freedom and to be the killer that she is so feared as, an assassin, all she has to do is be the last person standing. But along the way people are ending up dead. This book has everything you would want from an Assassins meets Cinderella. It has Secret Passages, ghosts, magic, action.. omg so much action, romance, but not as much as you would have thought. I love how this book seamlessly takes the plot lines that began in the novellas and picked them up and just weaved them into the new plot.

Now Celaena, a very young assassin, is 16 or 17, I think many people who dislike this book forget this. They pretend that at that age you are mature and all of your priorities are straight. Well they are not and I think Maas did an amazing job portraying this accurately. I had to remind myself how old she was supposed to be. And even if she had been through so much in her short life I that she still seems to act her age. She owns her damaged self and doesn't let you pity her. She doesn't let the bad things that have happen to her break her or own her. That is my favorite part about her. She takes her life by the horns and keeps going. Bigger and better than ever. I love how cocky, practical, sarcastic she was and her sense of humor.

"My name is Celaena Sardothien and I will not be afraid."

The ending, the world, the characters, the story though... no words. I highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone. I just ask you keep in mind the character is 16-17 and will act like one. Everyone is hiding something and there is plenty of action, along with a brief love triangle. Everything that makes a YA book well, a young adult book. As the story grows so does the characters and the story and before you know it you will be so engrossed you cannot put it down.
on April 19, 2017
One thing that I absolutely love about Maas' books are her female characters. They are strong kick ass kind of ladies with a heaping topping of wit and sarcasm and attitude for days. There are many many forms of a strong character (my friend and I were actually talking about this yesterday!) and I think that all of the books that Sarah J. Maas has written are done amazing because it is not only the lead female that is kick ass. The side characters who may play a smaller role are just as awesome!

Calaena is a young woman with a sad past but she fought hard to survive and continues to do so when we meet her in Throne of Glass. She is mouthy and isn't afraid to say what she wants. I love her. She is still young and she has a lot to learn but with the people helping her she will get there. I love her spirit and honestly her heart. She has not been hardened by her life as one would imagine. I could probably go on all day about my obsession with her. The girl crush is real!

I think my second favorite character from this book is Chaol, the Captain of the Guard. He has a duty that he takes very seriously but as he watches Calaena and learns more and more about her he learns that stories are not all a person is. We get to watch him grow in this book and I for one cannot wait to see him in book two!

The Crowned Prince, Dorian Havilliard. Hmm I am still pretty on the fence about this guy. Yeah, he's cute and all prince-ish but he's also a little bit of a coward in my opinion. I know it is scary and unsafe for basically every single person for him to outright defy his father but he even admits that he should be doing more than he really is. I guess we will give him a shot in book two.

Overall I loved this book, not as much as A Court of Mist and Fury because obviously Rhysand is all things but I still loved it and can't wait to start book two, Crown of Midnight, today at some point! Definitely a 5 star read for me! I am obsessed! Let me know what you guys think of this book! Or the series, but for real, no spoilers! I will catch up I swear haha!
on November 21, 2016
Throne of Glass has been on my vague "to read" list for a while, and when it popped up on a Kindle sale, it seemed like the perfect opportunity.

In an age where female-led YA fantasy has become a prolific genre in and of itself, Throne of Glass manages to pop in a way some of its competitors don't for a couple of reasons. First, Maas's writing style is easy to become engrossed in. She writes exposition as easily as fight scenes, and truly knows the power of less-is-more. Action and background are two areas of writing where many fantasy writers find themselves lost, but Maas manages to pull readers through both easily, primarily because she never lets the scene become ungrounded from the characters involved. Secondly, and most importantly, Maas has done an excellent job of pacing. The structure of this book could have easily become predictable and boring with training ramping up to mini-climaxes with each "Test" Celaena takes on, but it would have quickly become repetitive. That she focuses on some tests but breezes over others (and does the same with training montages, etc.) allows the reader not to get bogged down in a repetitive cycle.

The largest downside to this book might be what keeps younger readers engaged through politics, exposition, and fight scenes--the budding "love triangle" between several of the characters. I certainly sought out romance-heavy books when I was younger, and so I don't begrudge anyone who revels in those scenes. However taken within the scope of the whole book, they seem the weakest both in terms of characters staying true to themselves and advancing the plot. Celaena is a strong, flawed character by herself, and so are her love interests. Their interactions as friends and comrades without the spectre of will-they-won't-they might have made for an overall stronger work.

It's also worth noting that because Maas doesn't spend a whole lot of chapters just delivering exposition (something that keeps the pacing natural and the plot moving) readers are left with more unanswered questions about world building, power structures, political alliances, etc. than one might expect at the end of the premiere of a fantasy series.
on September 12, 2015
Maybe more like 3.75 stars?

I mean, I can see why fantasy fans would like it. I saw comparisons made to Kristen Cashore and Leigh Bardugo, etc. I can see that comparison (strong magic-wielding female assassin as the hero, love conflict, kingdoms in the balance, etc).

But Cashore's Katsa is intensely both more physically believable and conflicted from the outset. Bardugo's Alina is definitely a bit younger in voice, much like Maas' Celaena, but where Bardugo's pseudo-Tsarist Russian world is dark and pessimistic, and has cool fey that is a bit apart from the mainstream, Maas' world names and fey-use is straightforward mainstream. There's no new twist.

It's kind of like girl-power fantasy light, if you know what I mean.

So it's a fine read, but it's like the white-bread version of this genre. If you want emotional angst flavor (Cashore) or non-mainstream Western folk tale flavor (Bardugo) this won't cut it for you. However, it is mostly PG rated in terms of kissing and the fight scenes are cool where Celaena has to prove herself in champion tests to become the King's champion. But sometimes these tests are skipped over, and so where I wanted to live through the tension of her facing off bigger, male opponents, I mostly got summaries of how she felt about it.

I read Maas' later book (retelling of Beauty & Beast) first, and can definitely see how her writing has matured. I'd skip ahead to Court of Thorn and Roses if I were you.
on April 4, 2016
I made the choice to read the Throne of Glass novellas before I read Throne of Glass and I’m glad I did. It gave me a good perspective on who Celaena Sardothian was before she became a slave. To be honest I wish I would have read this book sooner. I don’t know why it took me so long to jump on the Throne of Glass bandwagon.

Can I just come out and say it? Celaena Sardothian is the most badass heroine that I have had the pleasure of reading about. A lot of readers have a problem with who she is, but not me. Her personality worked for her. She is the world’s most famous assassin. At eight years old she lost her family and was taken in by a man who trains assassins for a living. And, during The Throne of Glass novellas [Spoiler] she is sent of to a death camp after that same man betrays her.

Now, she gets a chance to earn her freedom back. The Crown Prince, Dorian, and captain of the Guard, Chaol have come to the salt mines of Endovier to offer her a choice. Compete in a competition to be the King’s Champion and serve for four years to earn her freedom, or stay a slave in the salt mines forever. Rather than suffer through the cruelty and starvation that she has been experiencing she decides to travel back to the kingdom with Dorian and Chaol.

The fact that Celaena has to compete with other people should worry her. She’s been a slave for the past year. She is barely a shadow of what she used to be. She is malnourished and has very little strength left. Instead, she is ready to prove herself. She spends most mornings training with Chaol to get her strength back. Even though she could beat the rest of the champions with no problem Chaol and Dorian want her to stay in the middle of the ranks and go unnoticed.

Enter the cliché love triangle that almost every YA novel has. This one is different, however. This one works. Sarah J. Maas wrote the love triangle between the three of them perfectly. It’s not over done; in fact it’s very subtle. At first there is only a spark between Dorian and Celaena. It isn’t until later (much, much later) that we start to see a spark between Chaol and Celaena. In case you were wondering I am team Chaol all the way! I love that he doesn’t realize how he feels until almost the end of the story. They aren’t suppose to work because he’s captain of the guard and she is Adarlan’s Assassin.

I loved this book and I’m looking forward to reading the rest of the series this year.
on June 3, 2016
"I am Celaena Sardothien, Adarlan's Assassin. If these men knew who I was, they'd stop laughing. I am Celaena Sardothien. I am going to win. I will not be afraid."

The story that came to life around this book was good, original, action-packed, and like I said before: better than I expected! I found that the way it developed through the pages was pretty good and entertaining, even though around the middle I felt it kind of lagged/moved slow/or however you call that. I loved the way we get introduced to our main characters at the very beginning of the book at Endovier, the mystery that danced around the glass castle; the competitors dying one by one AND OTHER STUFF, and the amazing world building and how it just kept growing and getting better, even if we get to see just a little on this first book! The action might have not been much, but I also loved every second of it! But besides all of this, what I really loved was how Celaena, after all she'd been through thanks to who she was, still managed to: fight for her freedom, have a really good humor, enjoy her life at the castle after surviving one year of suffering and hard work at Endovier, and be open to people. I mean, you don't see that in every character or person that has been through so much, right? And of course, I loved how sassy and strong and funny she was!

"She stopped and stared upward. Even from a distance, he could see the blush upon her cheeks. She seemed young--no, new. It made his chest ache."

Thanks to Sarah J. Maas' writing, I found it very easy to connect with the characters, and I loved how through the story, we don't just see Celaena's story; we also get to enjoy some glimpses through other character's POV (like Chaol or Dorian), and I loved that! Besides Celaena, the crown-prince: Dorian, and the captain of the guard: Chaol, we also get to meet: the other competitors (who I'm not mentioning to not spoil any fun), the princess of Eyllwe: Nehemia, a lady-in-waiting (who was really annoying) called Kaltain, the King, his right hand: Duke Perrington and many more! Personally, I loved every single one of them! I found that they all played their cards right and thanks to that, you end up liking everything that happens through the story.The way our 'villains' were portrayed and how they worked and everything was sooo good that I...I just--never mind...

In the end, after reading ACOTAR a couple of months ago and not loving Feyre and her story as much as I thought I would, I was scared that the same thing would happen with Celaena, but thankfully, that fear didn't come true. I loved Celaena's journey from beginning to end, even when it was laggy. Sarah J. Maas did a great job with this story, and I can't wait to continue this series and know what happens next!
on December 9, 2015
I bought this book shortly after its release due to all the fabulous publicity I saw about it. The heroine being a famous assassin was an intriguing concept to me. Then I got gun shy about reading it since I was afraid that it wouldn't live up to my expectations. And, over the years, I have continued to see hype surrounding the series so I decided to finally pull it out.

Throne of Glass begins with the heroine, Celaena, being taken from the salt mines where she has been imprisoned for over a year. She is given an opportunity to earn her freedom by representing the Crown Prince in a competition to find the king's champion aka personal assassin. The first half of the book involves Celaena's journey to the capital and the second part focuses on the competition itself.

Celaena's character was interesting and I liked how the author slowly revealed how deadly she really could be. I know some people might have issues with the early portrayal of her which is on the vulnerable side, but I think that is on purpose so that readers underestimate her abilities like the rest of the characters. I also enjoyed meeting the various people at the capital. My personal favorites were the captain of the guard, Chaol, and the visiting princess with a mysterious mission, Nehemia.

There is some romance hinted at throughout the book and it wasn't really my favorite part, surprisingly. A love triangle is definitely looming on the horizon and I don't have much patience for that particular trope. But, I do like both guys in the triangle so it wasn't a big issue in this book. Depending on how it is handled in later books, I can see it as being a deterrent for me as happens in other series.

I think the main reason that I am not rating this as high as I would have hoped is the way that the action is handled. I was expecting (due to the premise) for there to be much more. The first half of the book really dragged for me as things were explained and characters were put into place. I caught myself wanting to put it down for other books a couple times which is never a good sign. The latter parts were able to draw me in, but I still felt like there was more talking rather than action even during the competition scenes.

While Throne of Glass did not really merit (IMO) the hype that I have seen, I don't regret reading it and can see myself giving the next book in the series a try. If you enjoy politically charged YA fantasy with a pretty obvious love triangle, you might like this more than I did. The characters were interesting and I am intrigued by what is going to happen to them next.
on September 20, 2016
Couldn't put the damn book down! From the moment I started reading I was entranced in a world I had never been yet felt like I had known my whole life. The Assassin is skilled beyond measure but somehow retained her humanity and joy in life regardless of how many kills she has or the year spent in a prison most last days in. She is simply amazing as are the characters she finds as friends through out this first book. Can't wait to read the rest of the series.
on April 21, 2017
I would give this 4.5 stars if I could (I save the rarified 5 for a book that I want to keep in my library forever). This is close, but since it is a series, I feel like my overall feelings of this book will wind up being swayed by the quality of the entire series and I have yet to complete it. I picked up this book because I was told that it was loosely based around Cinderella. However, once I started, it felt more like a cross between Cinderella and Belle in that this character loves to read - which of course, appealed to me as well. Yes, castles, kingdoms, a handsome prince, etc, etc. But then the similarities to any stereotypical princess fairy tale ends there. This is a woman that runs, jumps, fights, and slits throats as she deems necessary and keeps a fairly witty and sarcastic commentary throughout. I love love love an athletic, tomboyish protagonist. I feel like the underrated smart girl, the shy girl, etc have definitely been served in YA lately, but not so much the girl that sweats and can hold her own in a physical contest amongst the boys. Much needed! Best of all, while she certainly notes the looks of the young men surrounding her, she doesn't ever let that consume her nor does it result in her changing her identity or motivation -- not a sticky sweet love story masked behind the illusion of adventure and the King's Champion contest.