Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 342 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 386 reviews
on April 9, 2013
I first had the pleasure of seeing this movie when I was in the fourth grade. At the time I didn't really know what "black comedy" was-my 9 year old mind couldn't comprehend how one could make a comedy out of murdering someone. But I immediately identified with Billy Crystal as the frustrated writer, Larry. Even at 9 I knew that I was going to write for a living one day, and his struggles to get something, ANYTHING, down on paper were quite palpable to me. Combined with his ex-wife's phenomenal success in the same field, and his having to take a survival job of teaching creative writing at a local community college, you already have the makings of an Everyman a la Hitchcock (the only Hitchcock film I had seen at this point was "Psycho" so I didn't get the "Strangers On A Train" connection). It is in this writing course that he meets Owen, played to meek perfection by Danny DeVito. Owen is oppressed by his domineering, ogre of a mother, Anne Ramsey. Owen entices Larry to a screening of Hitchcock's underrated masterpiece "Strangers On A Train." After the film both men discuss the miserable state of their lives and come to the conclusion that the source of their problems are two women:Larry's ex, Owen's mother. Owen suggests that Larry murder his mom, in exchange for him murdering Larry's ex, "Criss cross." Larry dismisses the idea, but when his ex turns up missing, he is convinced that Owen has committed the crime and he is now obligated to kill Owen's mother. This is accomplished in a series of Rube Goldberg-inspired events, each one hilariously topping the last, none of which actually kill Mother. Again I hadn't been exposed to this type of humor before so I found it highly comical and clever. Later when I grew into adulthood I viewed this film again and found it even MORE witty-this is an adult comedy after all. Danny DeVito as the director is able to find all kinds of comedic nuances, from Mr. Crystal sitting at his typewriter trying to find the perfect adjective to describe the night, to the ending where they literally try to throw momma from the train. Even the cartoon-like ways that they try to kill mother come off as witty rather than silly. He is also able to suppress his usually manic obnoxiousness and let Mr. Crystal's neurosis lead the story. Although this is not my favorite Danny DeVito directed film, it is one of his most fun and amusing.
on March 31, 2017
Not as good as I recall. This really needed to focus on Anne Ramsey (Devito's mom). She did an amazing job in this., hence the title. The movie takes quite a while to get to that. There are some funny skits, but this really needed to stick to the title.

I recommend you see this, but can't really recommend buying it. The title is misleading as very little of the plot involves plotting to do away with 'Momma'.
on July 3, 2017
I quote this movie all the time, very well done... excellent actors and a funny script. Oh course, it's Billy Crystal and Danny Devito, you can't go wrong, right?
on December 9, 2016
One of the "smartest" comedies ever! Danny DeVito and Billy Crystal,separately, are two of my favorite comedian/actor-s, and deliver moments of hilarity throughout this credibly incredible tale of mal-intentions going consistently awry. But the real "star" of this most unsettlingly titled "comedy", I mean...throwing your mother from a train?! Funny?!...is Momma. You've just gotta meet Momma, a completely unique experience that lends itself to the title. Don't miss this one!
on November 1, 2016
We loved it! It's a movie you will have to fast forward through some parts if you have kids, but overall, it was unexpected, entertaining and very crude! Danny Devito's mom is a wreck in this movie!
on October 14, 2016
Both Danny Devito and Billy Crystal are doing what they do so well in just a great simple movie from the past. movies back then didn't have to be so in your face and raw , like movies these days,. They just made you laugh and we're a good time.
on October 22, 2014
The item arrived packaged securely and on time. I was impressed with this used DVD because it was like new and played flawlessly.

This was a fun movie that actually had an unexpectedly good ending with lots of laughs. You couldn't expect less from Danny DeVito and Billy Crystal. Nevertheless when watching the movie, I felt compelled to help Billy Crystal's character to write his book. He was stuck at "The night was....". This was the uncompleted sentence throughout the movie that kept me totally engaged because I wanted to help to complete the sentence! Well, I couldn't but Momma could and what good fun if you are not too sensitive to the plot that will "Throw Momma From The Train"!
on November 2, 2016
Very funny. DeVito is always funny. If you haven't seen it, give it a shot.
on June 26, 2017
5 gold stars!
on October 13, 2016
This is a fun movie that I had not watched in years. It still holds up, with Billy Crystal and Danny DeVito being a great comedy pair. DeVito plays a devoted momma's boy, who dreams of killing his horrible mother, played by Anne Ramsey. Great fun.
The quality of the video is excellent (1080p) and is worth watching.