Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 117 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 157 reviews
on September 5, 2015
This used to be a favorite of my daughter's when she was a child. She gave hers away to someone who loved it just as much as she did. She died in 2009. While in the hospital I vitied the library to find a book to read to her. Imagine my surprise when I found "Thunder Cake" on the shelf. The book is about a young child afraid of the thunder storm. Granny bakes enlists the child's help in baking a cake to ease her fears. I read it to my daughtet on her last day and imagined it easing her fears a bit. Recently I decided to purchase the book to have for myself... memories. It was in perfect condition and just what my heart needed. Thank you so much.
on March 3, 2017
Used in reading groups with my second grade class. They loved the book!
on March 10, 2017
Fantastic
on March 16, 2015
Received a very nice copy of this book, I think it was a used book but in excellent shape. It arrived on time & packaged so there would be no damage - this is a book I used to read to my own daughter (& I have even made the Thunder Cake recipe that is at the back of the book) so I knew that she would love to have it to read to her own daughter now - very glad I purchased it!
on November 16, 2016
I love this author and everything she writes. When my youngest daughter was in the 3rd grade I baked this recipe as a bundt cake for a library class she attended, it was great fun and everyone loved it. Anything to keep the kids interested in reading and their library!
on July 6, 2016
My toddler son became very frightened of thunderstorms after our (long) walk home left us caught in bad storms on two occasions. It started to become a major worry of his that it might storm. I found this book and it worked beautifully! I knew the author from her other books and we read the book when it arrived. The pictures are charming and the story sweet and simple. My 3 year old was able to understand it easily. The next time we had a thunderstorm, we rushed to make a cake! He loved to share it with some neighbors and now talks about how wonderful thunder cake is. He still notices storms, but we recently had a major storm while we were running errands and it was no big deal! I'm still amazed how well this worked when coupled with a cooking activity at home!
on May 12, 2007
This is a wonderful book ! My grandaughter's teacher had the kids read it in class. I made a thunder cake and took it in for the class when they were done. The receipe is in the back of the book. They loved it and it was a lot of fun. Also, a good book for children afraid of thunder storms. I highly recommend it.
on December 13, 2014
I was a volunteer in a 2nd grade class in which the teacher would read a chapter in a book after lunch. What a great story, the kids settled down very
quickly and listened without a peep. That in and of itself says a lot. Highly recommend this book, a winner. I just bought this copy for a Christmas present for my favorite 3rd grader.
on March 26, 2016
Thunder Cake is the book that introduced me to the world of Patricia Polacco. I had the opportunity to hear this book being read to a group of elementary school age children (3rd - 5th grade). The children paid close attention as the story unfolded. When the book ended, a lively discussion of the story's events took place. The children talked about their experiences dealing with frightening storms. They recalled time spent with beloved grandparents and other important adults in their lives. They really enjoyed Thunder Cake! Ms. Polacco is a gifted story teller and illustrator. Since Thunder Cake, I've read several of Ms. Polacco's children's books. Many of the events in her stories reflect her own life experiences. I recently purchased Thunder Cake from Amazon for my 9 year old niece. She is an avid reader and I know she will enjoy this wonderful book!
on August 2, 2015
Reinforces the importance of investing time in developing creative methods of addressing scary issues little children are faced with....helping them confront, deal with, and put closure on....Turning frowns into smiles...I grew up fearing thunderstorms to the point I would throw up...The adults in my life brushed it off and assured me I would grow out of it.....BUT I didn't...Then I got married and moved to an isolated farm located in a clearing in the woods of very rural Maine. Taking my thunderstorm fear with me...Becoming the mother of .6 little boys, forced me to dig into my pocket of creative treasures and help my children learn to enjoy the beauty, rather than the fear, of THUNDER AND LIGHTENING..by gathering them together under a Grammy quilt, counting..."One monkey, two monkey, three monkey".between lightening strikes and claps of thunder....while munching on chocolate chips and raisins in paper cups, sharing happy time stories... and hugs....I wish I had thought of making a THUNDER CAKE....I especially enjoyed the illustrations...This is a very well written book I look forward to sharing with my GREAT GRANDCHILDREN...and my adult children.....